What cover version would you most like to hear Morrissey sing?

gashonthenail

You will own nothing and you will be happy...
It may be some time before we get any 'news' on Moz Central, so we may need to keep ourselves amused...What song, written or performed by another artist or artists, would you most like to hear Morrissey sing as a cover version? I think we would all have loved to have heard Bowie and Morrissey do You've Lost That Lovin' Feelin.' And I'm sure we are all looking forward to hearing Suspicious Minds at some point in the future.

For me, it would be The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore. One of the best pop songs ever written in my opinion. Would love to hear Moz belt this out. The lyrics are made for him. Written by Bob Crewe and Bob Gaudio. I love both the Frankie Valli version and the Walker Brothers' version.

What song would you most like to hear Morrissey cover? Who knows, if he visits this site occasionally, we may even give him some ideas for California Son II.

Speaking of ‘a deep shade of blue’.

I’ve always thought he could do justice to this Buffy song. It’s a lovely vocal melody, that I can hear him singing …

Ever since Phranc & Open told me (mirabile dictu) about Morrissey’s Who-philia circa the Maladjusted sessions—where Pete Townshend was a potential producer, Papa Jack was written to a Who template, and I Can’t Explain was considered as a cover—I think I’d like to hear that missed opportunity of an unlikely cover. But sorry, not with J. Chicc or the current band lineup. I’d like it as a rarity scavenged from the ‘97 vaults in an alternate universe where it was recorded with Boorer, Whyte, &c.

Ever since Phranc & Open told me (mirabile dictu) about Morrissey’s Who-philia circa the Maladjusted sessions—where Pete Townshend was a potential producer, Papa Jack was written to a Who template, and I Can’t Explain was considered as a cover—I think I’d like to hear that missed opportunity of an unlikely cover. But sorry, not with J. Chicc or the current band lineup. I’d like it as a rarity scavenged from the ‘97 vaults in an alternate universe where it was recorded with Boorer, Whyte, &c.
Never been a big fan of The Who. I do love Substitute though. Great song.

Given that this was written as an homage to/ piss-take of Morrissey (I've never been quite sure, although I remember Harvey talking about it somwhere), it would be so great to hear him belt it out:

Again in your biography, you write very unique analogies, such as when you assert "The Stooges, Lou Reed and Patti Smith are our new Goethe, Gide and Gertrude Stein". I wonder then what essay writing interests you.

–The classics, obviously… and by classics I mean what almost everyone agrees with. For example, in the 60s, the classic period of pop was The Beatles, Stones, The Who, The Supremes, The Four Tops, Bacharach-David, Phil Spector... and so on. And when it comes to modern speakers, I love listening to Germaine Greer, Anne Marie Waters, and reading Christopher Hitchens. They always give me the answers I hope to find.

'If You're Happy And You Know It'

You know the one that goes...
If you’re happy and you know it,
Clap your hands

Two covers which never saw the light of day and I’d love to hear, Harry Rag and Rainbow Valley.

Harry rag I believe was rehearsed during the YA sessions but never recorded.

Tying into his 60s pop influences, I think Billy Fury’s last night was made for love would be a great choice. Lyrics of love-lorn betrayal, a great pop melody; I think it suits him perfectly

On the topic of covers, it baffles me how he didn’t take “To Give” into the studio for a proper recording. I think it’s his best cover; he sings the song so beautifully, and the song is almost like a mission statement

Gilbert O’Sullivan’s “We Will” is another song I’d love to hear him sing. I love when he sings his songs

On the topic of covers, it baffles me how he didn’t take “To Give” into the studio for a proper recording. I think it’s his best cover; he sings the song so beautifully, and the song is almost like a mission statement

Right on! It really is perfect. (y)

Official studio versions of Condor El Pasa by Simon and Garfunkel, Nothing Rhymed by Gilbert O'Sullivan, Moon Over Kentucky by Sparks, Elvis' You'll Be Gone, Frankie Valli's To Give would be great

Sorry, stop reading now......Angels by Robbie Williams. It will be his song when he gets to the final of The Masked Singer. Many, many songs including I hope I never by Split Enz.

Official studio versions of Condor El Pasa by Simon and Garfunkel, Nothing Rhymed by Gilbert O'Sullivan, Moon Over Kentucky by Sparks, Elvis' You'll Be Gone, Frankie Valli's To Give would be great
Certainly Condor El Pasa and Nothing Rhymed. Also Alone Again - when he sings "...when you're shattered" I am in another world.

Tags
cover version
Back
Top Bottom