Two Smiths tribute bands - What do you think?

Hahaha i know exactly who that is. It's Jose Maldonado of the Sweet and Tender Hooligans. Positive ID was the hair, poorly cuffed jeans a la Morrissey, and the dancing. hahahah. It's him alright. Also, it's at the Knitting Factory in LA. A venue frequently used by the SATHs.

ha that is too funny, thought it was him...
he doesnt sound so great ther,e normally he is pretty good, he has moz's mannerisms and moves down to a T.

when i saw these charming men at the 2001 morrissey smiths convention i felt as if i had seen the smiths and morrissey live.

i hadn't yet at the time.

I just saw an ad on the NYC craigslist, about ANOTHER tribute band looking to form. Am I the only one who thinks a morrissey tribute band is absolutely absurd?

my vote's for Girlfriend in a coma. especially since they're the only ones i know. but they do a really fantastic job!

The Smyths are fantastic, would recommend them! Have seen them a few times. The Smiths Indeed are quite good.

I don't particularly care for Smiths tribute bands these days now that Ambitious Outsiders has quenched my lust for a solo covers band, doing Smiths songs that Morrissey has done live. Frankly it was getting a bit annoying hearing guitarists badly attempt to do the riff from This Charming Man.

This is an awesome idea: a tribute band face-off. I've heard two of them here in the US; I should look for vids to post here, and we can vote on them. :D

For your listening pleasure:

Baltimore/Washington, DC's Girlfriend in a Coma (audio only)
This Charming Man
Bigmouth Strikes Again

New York City's Sons and Heirs
(can't figure out how to embed the vids individually, so here are all of them)

mistermarr and Quinn, please post more if you have 'em!

More here:
youtube.com/user/thesonsandheirs

Last edited by a moderator:
This is not as off-topic as you'd think. Can anyone tell me who the guy is at 2:25?

worst case scenario:
morrissey doing an oasis cover. i'd rather die than even imagine that :tears:
i like the passionate stage invader though ;)

just saw the son and heirs after the saturday hammerstein gig
though i didn't care for cover bands before i really enjoyed their show

Last edited by a moderator:
i am against tribute bands in all forms.

so what? i'm a purist. go to hell. :D

I bet you're the kind of person who would rather stay in and watch the Jeremy Kyle show - or worse, be in the studio when it is being filmed:p:D

Jukebox Jury

i am against tribute bands in all forms.

so what? i'm a purist. go to hell. :D

I'm not against them. I just wouldn't want to go and watch a Morrissey/Smiths tribute act. I wouldn't enjoy it, personally.

I nearly did once, but decided better of it. It just didn't seem right!

I'm not against them. I just wouldn't want to go and watch a Morrissey/Smiths tribute act. I wouldn't enjoy it, personally.

it's never right. you made the wise, the only decision brel.

No wai. Tribute bands are a lot of fun, if you'll permit yourself a little willing suspension of disbelief.

I see nothing wrong with tribute bands, sometimes it's the only way to hear the songs live that you really want to hear.

you are missing out on a good time for no reason! I had a blast! its like seeing a play and then the movie adaptation. its not the same and never as good as the play but you'll still enjoy it.

you're too easily pleased...

there's no such thing as being too easily pleased. Life can be enjoyable or miserable you decide. i'd rather have a few beers and watch Quinn be a faux moz and make great music than sit at home and brood, or worse, watch wheel of fortune.

Back
Top Bottom