This may seem contentious, least I hope so, but

I recall reading an interview where Moz recalled losing his virginity (he put it into the public arena, not me) at age 13, and words long the lines of "It's been all downhill since." Recall an outdoors scenario. Anybody remember that? No joke. "Leather seats" indeed.

I recall reading an interview where Moz recalled losing his virginity (he put it into the public arena, not me) at age 13, and words long the lines of "It's been all downhill since." Recall an outdoors scenario. Anybody remember that? No joke. "Leather seats" indeed.

If you read it in NME, it was a racist, homophobic lie made up by journalists.

I remember him saying he was 13 or 14 and it being "an isolated incident, an accident", which sort of fits in with the "cupcake grapples" of 1974 that he refers to in his memoir. He's also said many other things and given other versions though - when he was 31 he said he'd never "spent a night with anyone in a loving way" - so I would take it with a pinch of salt.

M guards his privacy and is prone to replying flippantly or jokingly when things get personal, or wording things in such an obscure and ambiguous way that you're not really sure what went on. That's his right and I don't think it's anyone's business but M's general attitude to sex and relationships, his lyrics... give me the impression that he didn't enter that particular arena until much, much later than that.

Well, he‘s the perpetual pseudo-intellectual, isn’t he?

What books do you read these days? Oh, none, they’re all bloody terrible, I only read Oscar Wilde.
What new bands do you like? Uhhh.. well… I don’t hear much that I like. I like [current song on the radio] by [current indie band], but other than that there isn’t much good music out there.

You can’t take a word he says seriously. Didn’t he once say something about it all being there in the songs? I believe that. His lyrics are the ‘real’ him. Which implies that anything else is to be taken with a substantial pinch of salt.

None of which is a criticism, most people are the same. Most people are a different version of themselves at work, a different person with their friends, a slightly different person with their family. C’est la condition humaine.

Back
Top Bottom