"This Charming Charlie" - comics by Lauren LoPrete combining Peanuts with Smiths lyrics

Nice.

Like this one best...

tumblr_mrebe2BcAS1seji43o1_r1_500.jpg

Good idea, nicely executed.

http://thischarmingcharlie.tumblr.com/

RobLand also sends the link:

Combining Peanuts Strips with The Smiths Lyrics Works Like a Charm - Gawker

Excerpt:

Inspired by a 1986 Smiths gig poster that features a ponderous Charlie Brown, Bay Area graphic designer Lauren LoPrete decided to see what would happen if she combined other Morrissey-penned lyrics with random panels from Peanuts comic strips.

The result — This Charming Charlie — is the sort of existential genius that stands proudly alongside such predecessors as Garfield Minus Garfield and the Nietzsche Family Circus.

ku-medium.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Thank you for finding this Peter,
it made my day!
I'm putting a few of these up at work to confuse people.
Cheers,
FWD

I saw this and it's clever and cute, but I'm appalled by the ignorantly misunderstood lyrics. "My only weakness is a list of crimes" doesn't even make sense. "My only weakness is a listed crime" puts the rest of the song in context, and provides a little history lesson about sexuality in England.

I saw this and it's clever and cute, but I'm appalled by the ignorantly misunderstood lyrics. "My only weakness is a list of crimes" doesn't even make sense. "My only weakness is a listed crime" puts the rest of the song in context, and provides a little history lesson about sexuality in England.

Indeed. I have always thought that the oft missed Shoplifters/Shirtlifters reference is as clear a reference to Section 28 as you can get. And the genius of the lyrics juxtaposting being nabbed by a store detective, to the act of sex "A heartless hand on my shoulder, a push and it's over" and the climax "Alabaster crashes down" as the shoplifter is accosted. Genius lyricism.

P.

Indeed. I have always thought that the oft missed Shoplifters/Shirtlifters reference is as clear a reference to Section 28 as you can get. And the genius of the lyrics juxtaposting being nabbed by a store detective, to the act of sex "A heartless hand on my shoulder, a push and it's over" and the climax "Alabaster crashes down" as the shoplifter is accosted. Genius lyricism.

P.

Yes, exactly!

Oh, grow up. They are very funny, you are very miserable.

I know it's over. / Tumblr reblog

thischarmingcharlie:
The Smiths licensing company (Universal Music Publishing Group) has started requesting posts be removed from This Charming Charlie. So far 6 posts have been removed, and it is increasing every hour. If you like the page, please save copies of the comics to your own computer.
It was fun while it lasted, I wish Morrissey and Marr were a bit more understanding.

Original reblog on Tumblr / more details...

Re: I know it's over. / Tumblr reblog

thischarmingcharlie:
The Smiths licensing company (Universal Music Publishing Group) has started requesting posts be removed from This Charming Charlie. So far 6 posts have been removed, and it is increasing every hour. If you like the page, please save copies of the comics to your own computer.
It was fun while it lasted, I wish Morrissey and Marr were a bit more understanding.

Shame. I can see their point, it is reappropriating the lyrics... but at least the words are being circulated in a different medium that otherwise wouldn't have been pondered by people who don't follow Smiths music. It kinda seems like the Schulz people would jump on this faster than the Smiths people. :squiffy:

That sentence doesn't make sense. My brain is tired and going in for round two in a bit. You get what I mean. :p

Re: I know it's over. / Tumblr reblog

thischarmingcharlie:

So, you quote lyrics now and the legal types are on your back? I can't see anyone making any money out of this blog.

Get a f***in' life, joyless bastards.

P.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom