There Is A Place In Hell For Me And My Friends

Fulham Road Lights

Ill-adjusted
[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwHeynhvyIY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwHeynhvyIY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

The studio version of this song is so beautiful and powerful. I am curious, then, as to why Morrissey removed its beauty and power from live performances such as this one, and gave it a rockier live treatment. What do people think?

By the by, to bring up an oft-quoted adjective, IMO this song is one of the most under-rated Morrissey songs going (i.e., when people discuss their favourite Morrissey songs it is rarely cited as being so).

I always say that I do not like many "Kill Uncle"'s songs - and with this one it's not different.

However, I prefer its "rockier version"... I'd be disappointed if Morrissey plays "There is a place" and doesn't play "November..." or "Interesting drug"... (two old songs too)

I find the studio version a bit lame - therefore prefer the rockier live performance of the song.

For me this was the probably the only KU song I liked in it's original form (I mean production-wise) -- I like the rock version equally. The Lads electrified (literally) the whole Morrissey experience, something he really needed at that point. I can't imagine seeing those songs performed live as they were on record. That's why it's a weak album -- because played as is it wouldn't work. Any other Morrissey album is good to go on stage.

Always wanted to hear a little more about the impetus behind the lyrics of There's A Place. Anything in Mozipedia?

For me this was the probably the only KU song I liked in it's original form (I mean production-wise) -- I like the rock version equally. The Lads electrified (literally) the whole Morrissey experience, something he really needed at that point. I can't imagine seeing those songs performed live as they were on record. That's why it's a weak album -- because played as is it wouldn't work. Any other Morrissey album is good to go on stage.

I'd have to disagree with everything in this post :D
I'd love to hear "There is A Place in Hell..." performed live in it's original studio manner, perhaps even with some synth string additions by Kristopher. I for one think it'd be very moving.
The rockabilly sound was what Morrissey needed at that time, but now he no longer has to face "starting out on his own as a solo artist." He's more than made himself legend in the indie community, and so I for one wouldn't mind if he made the transition to Sinatra-esque crooning/torch-singing. His voice is so lovely with piano and strings. :love:
Naturally, though, never leave the lads behind. Rock will always be in Mozzer's blood. But just add a string section to the stage, and I think we'd be good :thumb:

Just heard this song this morning on the ol' Ipod while exercising. The Live in Dallas version. Good stuff.

Also like the original KU version. I always thought it would be a great 1st song encore with just Moz and the keyboard player, and then the band comes on to end with a rocker like "shoplifters" or something.

Last edited:
[youtube] <object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwHeynhvyIY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OwHeynhvyIY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object> [/youtube]

The studio version of this song is so beautiful and powerful. I am curious, then, as to why Morrissey removed its beauty and power from live performances such as this one, and gave it a rockier live treatment. What do people think?

By the by, to bring up an oft-quoted adjective, IMO this song is one of the most under-rated Morrissey songs going (i.e., when people discuss their favourite Morrissey songs it is rarely cited as being so).

YEAH:rock: SPENCER!!!!

As I said, I like the original version (implying it would be good live as is). I think the rest of the album is produced and played wayyy to tepidly. It's not the songwriting. Viva and Bona had keyboards and those songs benefitted greatly when Mikey came on board but I'm sorry you cannot have someone like Mark Nevin onstage with (look at the Sing Your Life Video).

At one time I too thought Moz should go the Sinatra/elder statesman/orchestra/strings route but you know what? The tuxedo and graying sideburns are enough. I'm glad he still rocks out. Having said that, I like when piano-led songs like Trouble or I've Changed My Plea are included -- very nice.

I'd have to disagree with everything in this post :D
I'd love to hear "There is A Place in Hell..." performed live in it's original studio manner, perhaps even with some synth string additions by Kristopher. I for one think it'd be very moving.
The rockabilly sound was what Morrissey needed at that time, but now he no longer has to face "starting out on his own as a solo artist." He's more than made himself legend in the indie community, and so I for one wouldn't mind if he made the transition to Sinatra-esque crooning/torch-singing. His voice is so lovely with piano and strings. :love:
Naturally, though, never leave the lads behind. Rock will always be in Mozzer's blood. But just add a string section to the stage, and I think we'd be good :thumb:

Always wanted to hear a little more about the impetus behind the lyrics of There's A Place. Anything in Mozipedia?

Mozipedia claims Morrissey once said 'Some people have interpreted the song as being about AIDS. It isn't, but I can see how that would apply' (I may have paraphrased here). This book, which I now call the Bible :)D, although I was hoping for a lengthier entry for this song), also agrees with me that the live version "destroyed the exquisitely brittle church-pew hush of the original" (I don't think I have paraphrased here!)!

Mozipedia claims Morrissey once said 'Some people have interpreted the song as being about AIDS. It isn't, but I can see how that would apply' (I may have paraphrased here). This book, which I now call the Bible :)D, although I was hoping for a lengthier entry for this song), also agrees with me that the live version "destroyed the exquisitely brittle church-pew hush of the original" (I don't think I have paraphrased here!)!

Huzzah! :thumb:
I must get a copy of Mozipedia :D
Too bad I'm broke from purchasing materials for college :o

It is an under-rated song and the studio version is my favorite. If he can sing Dear God on tour, why not this? I concur with Harsh Truth, a little torch song to 'his friends' before they bum-rush the stage for a rocking final encore. :thumb:

The studio version was the first and the only one 'I hear' -I wish KU would end on that note (flip-flop Tony the Pony). I do like the rockier version as it's a great song overall, but the piano & strings only accompanying his delicate vocals on the studio version are sheer perfection. So simple and stripped down, paired with the fragility in his voice during lines like, we will forgive, we had no choice, we always did... is just to die for.

And it's one of my funeral songs. But that's another thread. ;)

The studio version was the first and the only one 'I hear' -I wish KU would end on that note (flip-flop Tony the Pony). I do like the rockier version as it's a great song overall, but the piano & strings only accompanying his delicate vocals on the studio version are sheer perfection. So simple and stripped down, paired with the fragility in his voice during lines like, we will forgive, we had no choice, we always did... is just to die for.

The UK version of KU leaves off Tony the Pony! (although it's a song I enjoy.) The album has really been growing on me recently, I love the way the first side is very optimistic sounding (bar Asian Rut) and the second side is very, well, sad. I think the closing couplet of End of the Family Line and There Is A Place is so beautiful, but so... Mozzerian, to coin a phrase I learnt from Mozipedia :)D). I also think your description of There Is A Place is bang on :)

The UK version of KU leaves off Tony the Pony! (although it's a song I enjoy.) The album has really been growing on me recently, I love the way the first side is very optimistic sounding (bar Asian Rut) and the second side is very, well, sad. I think the closing couplet of End of the Family Line and There Is A Place is so beautiful, but so... Mozzerian, to coin a phrase I learnt from Mozipedia :)D). I also think your description of There Is A Place is bang on :)

Oh, that's right :o it's not on the UK version, so how do you like it ending on There is a Place then? ;) I agree, End of the Family line is achingly gorgeous.

KU is 'growing on you'...are you having a relisten or are you new to it? Whenever I listen to it, I end up doing so for a straight week. And I like your analysis...I never 'split' the songs in two (optimistic vs. sad)... bang on, indeed. :)

Oh, that's right :o it's not on the UK version, so how do you like it ending on There is a Place then? ;) I agree, End of the Family line is achingly gorgeous.

KU is 'growing on you'...are you having a relisten or are you new to it? Whenever I listen to it, I end up doing so for a straight week. And I like your analysis...I never 'split' the songs in two (optimistic vs. sad)... bang on, indeed. :)

Yeah, I think There is a Place is a great closer, enhanced by the fact that End of the Family Line immediately precedes it :)

I am relistening to KU. Yeah, it's been about a week! I got the 'split' idea from imagining listening to it on vinyl... the optimistic side would end, and you'd flip it over to be confronted by a sadness that is just so... Morrissey :)

Back
Top Bottom