Theorize as to why Morrissey skips these lyrics in concert:

Well he did on Jools Holland in 2009. It's in the last refrain that he pulls the whole phrase.

He does that in every version live. Lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Boring story short, I remember that someone who had been at the show that night calling me right afterwards and going on ecstatically for five minutes about the fact that he had sung the international part.

I truly for the life of me cannot recall which show. Would probably have been July or August of 07, and it was definitely in America.

I'm going to have to go scour the bootlegs now. Lol.

I theorize that all lyric changes, additions, omissions are the result of a cosmic shift that he is responding to through the anomoly of his song. It's how he converses/bickers/sets things straight with God. He makes official statements on where he stands that particular day on a given topic through lyric changes. It could be different the next day, the way he references a subject here or there, or it could be a change that just sticks.

I'm referring more to the Thank Your Lucky Stars boot from LA in '86 and the one from the Oxford Apollo show a year earlier.

Didn't care for those HSINs.

Well really all the 86s dates, it was played very much the same by both Gannon and Marr. Through 1985 Marr played the song differently at least 2 different times with different bits of equipment by himself. He somehow always got the guitar effect always wrong through 1985 though....

So...you think the lead his solo band does is better than this?

Good version although the slide is obviously a sample that is being triggered, it isn't being played live.

I do like the version Morrissey's band do although I think Boz should listen to what Johnny plays here, top stuff.

Good version although the slide is obviously a sample that is being triggered, it isn't being played live.

I do like the version Morrissey's band do although I think Boz should listen to what Johnny plays here, top stuff.

Unfortunately Boz is not Johnny Marr and hasn't made any amazing riffs that matches up to the standard as Marr

I theorize that all lyric changes, additions, omissions are the result of a cosmic shift that he is responding to through the anomoly of his song. It's how he converses/bickers/sets things straight with God. He makes official statements on where he stands that particular day on a given topic through lyric changes. It could be different the next day, the way he references a subject here or there, or it could be a change that just sticks.

So you're basically saying that he changes them according to his mood?
Sleuth :p

So you're basically saying that he changes them according to his mood?
Sleuth :p

Kind of. But it's not like he had a bad flight on an international plane and is crabby about it and decided to drop "International," it;s more like he's making a statement to the voice he listens too, so it;s a step more complicated than just mood. I would further say there's perhaps an element of puzzle involved in his lyric changes, but a puzzle only he really has the pieces too. It's like a form of self comfort. But yeah, basically. :p

Nancy Drew. Amie Illustrates. :D

Last edited:
Yeah, I don't think there is necessarily a lot of thought going into these lyric changes. Morrissey loves the fluidity of language, the way meaning can be altered/reversed by the removal/addition of a single word. It's also about creating a fresh delivery for a familiar song. We've all noticed how lyrics are often slightly altered from the album sleeves when he does his studio take. I suppose sometimes it can be hard to choose the best line if you come up with several variations.

Too bad the studio version wasn't as awesome as this...

I never liked MLSOTR until I saw it live. Then I was like "Oh! Now I get it!" No, I can't explain why.

I never liked MLSOTR until I saw it live. Then I was like "Oh! Now I get it!" No, I can't explain why.

Probably because it isn't as watered down live as it is on the album. There should be crashing drums, pounding bass lines, full on rawk guitar, and awesome keyboards in the stuido version...and there just isn't...but it's there live, for the most part.

Probably because it isn't as watered down live as it is on the album. There should be crashing drums, pounding bass lines, full on rawk guitar, and awesome keyboards in the stuido version...and there just isn't...but it's there live, for the most part.

That's probably it. Thanks for verbalising it for me :)

Back
Top Bottom