The Standard: Rick Astley on Morrissey, getting Rick-Rolled, and his biggest hit (November 2, 2023)

Rick Astley on Morrissey, getting Rick-Rolled, and his biggest hit

Excerpt:

Despite sounding like a fever dream, or the result of a random event generator, their Smiths homage has obvious appeal. Not only is Astley’s booming vocal and affinity for a campily rolled R tailor-made for the endeavour, there’s also the fact that certain The Smiths fans may now prefer to enjoy the music, minus the Morrissey (he’s become a fairly divisive and controversial figure in recent years due to his support of far-right activism). Astley initially tip-toes around the subject: “Love him or loathe the guy – as people seem to do these days – you can’t deny he’s one of the most amazing lyricists ever”. How does he really feel about him?

“I read somewhere, and it’s an old phrase... separate the art from the artist,” he says. “There’s a lot of painters that were complete arseholes, and horrifically horrible people, but they created beautiful works of art that are hanging in galleries all around the world, and people who are good, upstanding, forthright, decent people go and admire that art, and don't think about whether that guy was a misogynist f**king prat, you know what I mean?

"I don't see that there's any difference from a musical artist, to a painter, sculptor, or whatever it is. I just say to myself, what they created was absolutely incredible and beautiful. I've seen a couple of Smith's tribute bands, and I must say Johnny Marr’s pretty amazing when he does it. I’ve not seen Morrissey [live] to be fair.”

Last edited by a moderator:
God, he did not choose his words well there.

for four decades M has been playing concerts in every nook and cranny of the uk,from the far flung to every big city and rick hasnt rolled up to one show,you would think even out of curiosity should have been enough for him to go along and take in a bit of entertainment,after all they used to know each other from their top of the pops days.
It does not surprise me one little bit that Rick Astley has never seen Morrissey live.

Hey Astley, how about this? If you think someone’s “a misogynist f***ing prat”, or “an arsehole”, or “a horrifically, horrible person”, maybe just karaoke that person’s songs in your own shower, instead of trying to ride their coat tails for a second wind in your own career and instead of actively pursuing this particular tack for your own financial profit.
I'm not a fan of Astley and his cover project at all, but I do think you are grossy overreacting and completely misreading this statement. I don't see Astley accusing Morrissey of being a 'mysogynist' or anything else - he's just talking in general terms about people's inability to separate art from the artist - which is fair enough. He give gives no specific opinion on Morrissey here at all.

R Astley is awful, I've always said that. He "steals" doing .a.The.Smiths and says esto.de Morrissey, bites the hand of the one who feeds him... he's totally disrespectful to Morrissey, he talks horribly about Morrissey, he's unforgivable, it's pitiful, Moz should come out and answer him. How unpresentable... And she sings in such an ugly voice !!. Disrespecting Morrissey and singing his songs.!!! And there are people who are going to see it...... Yuck, disgusting, disgusting:unamused::rage:🤮🤮🤌

Rick has never seen Morrissey in concert? Ever? Well then he's not a fan and I don't know why he sings Smiths songs. Amazes me that he's never seen Moz in concert. Especially considering how often Moz played the UK since going solo. Ffs I live in Ireland and have seen Moz in concert many many times. What a joke. I've just lost even the shred of respect I once might have had for Rick Ghastly. I'm sure he's a nice guy but his lack of interest in a man he's trying to copy/channel on stage is staggeringly lazy.
It's a thief as simple as that. A jerk, he said Morrissey's calamities and uses his songs to line his pockets. It seems to me that I cross the limits!! Moz should talk :angry:

As a big pop fan, I'd really love to like Richard but his singing voice is horrible.
He really butchers those Smiths songs live. Just belts them all out at the top of his voice without subtlety or nuance, like a third rate cabaret singer.
The only exception is Well I Wonder. For some reason, he does a great version of that one.
I totally agree except for the exception, for me R Astley has a terrible voice .his music is bad .he is a bad singer ,I always thought that !! Her voice is so ugly it's like she's singing with a potato in her mouth..

I'm not a fan of Astley and his cover project at all, but I do think you are grossy overreacting and completely misreading this statement. I don't see Astley accusing Morrissey of being a 'mysogynist' or anything else - he's just talking in general terms about people's inability to separate art from the artist - which is fair enough. He give gives no specific opinion on Morrissey here at all.
Please hide behind "you have to separate the artist from his work" to talk so disgustingly about Morrissey, Riki is a low, envious and advantageous person. It is very clear that I insult Moz!! He is a despicable being

It's been a long time since anyone has so blatantly disrespected Morrissey as this Rastley. It deserves a good response from Morrissey.Moz don't let this go!!

:rage:

No matter how you slice it we wouldn't even be talking about Rick Astley if it wasn't for Mozzer's many, many missteps. Have you seen how crowds react to Astley singing Smiths songs. They are buoyantly overjoyed. Could you ever imagine Moz doing a Smiths set?

It's been a long time since anyone has so blatantly disrespected Morrissey as this Rastley. It deserves a good response from Morrissey.Moz don't let this go!!

:rage:
Simmer down sud*k*. Simmer down. Do you really think that M would care?

f*** Rick Astley and his karaoke tour of songs he couldn't even dream of writing or performing for that matter. I mean FFS what the hell are we clinging to here where this f***ing hack gets lauded for this?

Rick Astley, pure arsehole. And if I separate the art from the artist, his art is is still shite. Absolute cringefest of a person. Opportunistic, coattail riding wasteman.

It's a thief as simple as that. A jerk, he said Morrissey's calamities and uses his songs to line his pockets. It seems to me that I cross the limits!! Moz should talk :angry:

Good lord, your anger towards anyone who says anything negative about Morrissey is not normal. Rick Astley doesn’t need to sing Smiths songs to line his pockets, he regularly sells out arenas and has just announced another arena tour where he will be singing his own material. He has a record deal and his new album landed at number 2. As recent as 2016 he had a platinum selling album and a silver selling album in 2018.

Last edited:
f*** Rick Astley and his karaoke tour of songs he couldn't even dream of writing or performing for that matter. I mean FFS what the hell are we clinging to here where this f***ing hack gets lauded for this?

He did 3 gigs singing Smiths songs, I wouldn't call that a tour.

That’s unfair. I’ve been a fan since The Smiths but, for numerous reasons, didn’t see Morrissey live until this year. Stop being so superior! I like Rick and Morrissey. Why is no-one hating on Blossoms?
Blossoms new single is very very good. I might even buy their new album

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom