The Sound of 'Bona Drag' {Redux}

The version of Oh Phoney! is so unlike the one that has been doing the rounds as a bootleg, way more stripped down and very much focussed on the vocal. Superb. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

I do agree with joe frady, this version does sound incomplete. However, I love this version because it brings out Morrissey's marvelous vocal, it really highlights it.

Re: Got my copy of Bona Drag today

Yeah. :/
You think with the inclusion of the extended version of "Piccadilly Palare", that the extended version of that track would be included as well.

I'm still not sure why Moz had a shortened version of WNM on the album in the first place. Was it down to vinyl side space? Or is it just that Moz himself doesn't like the longer ending?

I'm still not sure why Moz had a shortened version of WNM on the album in the first place. Was it down to vinyl side space? Or is it just that Moz himself doesn't like the longer ending?

I'm really not sure.

Has morrissey added new sleeve notes?! If so any chance someone will put up scans.

No sleeve notes. Very minimal text all round, no lyric sheet. Nice pics though.

Is Will Never Marry still the short version on the Bona Drag re-issue?

Yes. I prefer it actually. The long one went on a little too long, without adding anything significant.

No sleeve notes. Very minimal text all round, no lyric sheet. Nice pics though.

That's a shame :( seeing as he wrote something for the other two albums.

I find it funny that the guy who remastered Bona Drag is the same one who did the remastering for the Very Best of the Smiths comp in 2001. Wasn't that the one which everyone said was horrible?

Dammit!
It sucks that the US release dates are so far behind the UK. And if anything is ordered from the UK it takes forever to get here.

Ooh, my appetite is truly whetted now. :thumb: I tried to get it yesterday in HMV (not my local one, mind, Lincoln) and couldn't see it anywhere.

UK release date is 4th October.

Some people pre-ordered got their copies slightly earlier.

Last edited:

I remember John Peel playing it and saying it was "dangerously Moody Blues"!

I've always felt the extended version really adds something to the song which otherwise just seems too short. I presumed at the time it was done to save space back in the days of vinyl but now I'm not so sure. Anyway, the brutal Bona Drag edit has long since been replaced by the more sumptuous original on my iPod...

Last edited:
its released today here..i will hopefully manage to buy it today .

so does the viva hate tracks sound different to the version which did leak last year?

bought it saturday at a local record store. as i couldnt make it on friday- which is/was the release day here in germany
- 17.49 euro..
.but i wonder does it come out elsewhere as a jewel case?can you check tomorrow when its released in the UK?
..bona drag package (cdcover) here only made out of these cartonage stuff..

Last edited:
no lyric sheet??? The original certainly did. Any chance of someone scanning the new photos? The Tench Street/ Reardon Street Battersea Power Station photos are arguably my favourites of his solo career. (Oh and the Kevin Cummins one where he's sat by a canal)

I've had it on repeat for a couple of days now. I have to say, the re-master is astonishing: Bill Inglot and Dan Hersch have done a sterling job. (Amongst an endless list of previous projects they worked with Morrissey on his Jobriath compilation) It's most definitely not just a case of cranking up the volume. All of the tracks sound fresher and cleaner and immaculately separated, as if they could be recorded tomorrow. But at least a couple of the tracks sound like entirely new works. 'Last of the Famous International Playboys' now sounds absolutely gargantuan. The vintage analogue synths now ooze and squelch ominously in surround sound, with Gannon's sharp metallic guitar scratching away in the foreground, perfectly delineated. The drums are a series of beautiful ricochets whilst the Voice has never sounded warmer. It's extraordinary.
'Everyday is Like Sunday' is now bigger than God. It is monumental. Never mind the facebook campaign for #1; I say let's get this as the British national anthem. Just imagine it - at every national event the massed ranks welling up with tears, stiffening their lips as they reach the crescendo of 'Share some-greased-tea-with-me' (rubbing their bellys in a circular motion a-la Moz on TOTP)
The excising of the 's.t.e.v.e.n...p.u.s.h.o.f.f' section from 'Ouija Board' is a little odd, but hardly ruins the flow of the song. Neither does the removal of the 'Suedehead' fade-in. The addition of the extra 'Piccadilly' verse adds a further note of poignancy to the song.
As for the extra traclks, my favourite is 'Lifeguard'. It seems the most complete and confident, lyrically and vocally. 'Happy Lovers' seems half-finished and reminds me a little too much of Noise Is The Best Revenge - not the song, but Moz's nephew's band :eek: - not a recommendation. 'Please Help The Cause..' is fine, but I have to confess to a preference for the version with extensive Sandie backing vocals. All trace of Sandie Shaw has been deleted.
As for 'Oh Phoney' - that's just nuts. It sounds like they forgot to finish the mix and left off the drum and piano tracks. What you get is an acceptable Morrissey vocal and some occassionally heavy guitars. The best version I've heard is 'Oh Phoney!' (note the exclamation mark) which features the whole kit and caboodle - clumsy drums, stonking piano, heavy guitars - the whole Madness rendering. The only reason I can think for the inclusion of this version is that no-one's ever heard it before, cos why would anyone even leak this version? It's nonsensical.
'Bed Took Fire' is only slightly different to 'At Amber', but lovely enough.
My own take on why 'Let The Right One Slip In' is here is two-fold - as a possible nod to the vampire book/film of recent years. It was widely publicised that it was a refernce to a Morrissey song, which most people hadn't heard. Perhaps it was included here to make people aware of its existence. Otherwise, I had theorised that as the final track on the album, perhaps it was Morrissey's way of saying that was my sound back in 1990, but 'Let the right one slip in', although only 2 years later, fairly closely approximates Morrissey's current power pop sound, particularly in this heavier version. Who knows?
So, all in all - a pristine endeavor.
Roll on 'Kill Uncle' {Redux} by this time next year.....:D

Just thought I would say, nice choice of still- is it from Road to Corrie? (fantastic
drama)

I thought Gannon sounds great in this remaster...he should have stayed longer!

Tags
board bona drag ouija remaster
Back
Top Bottom