The Smiths Vs. The Cure

T

Tim Mc

Hello,
I saw the article on The Smiths vs. The Cure. If You really want to give Morrissey a challenge, don't give him Robert Smith. I have heard the last few Cure Albums and to Me it seems that the band is going through the motions. The songs on Bloodflowers and The new album try to be gloomy but seem forced. I think personally there is one person who is competition in the very well read lyric writing frontman deparment and that's Nick Cave. Like Morrissey, is able to write such beautiful lyrics that affect people in a profound way. The only difference is Morrissey's love of Oscar Wilde and Nick's love of William Faulkner, Flannery O'Conner and maybe Edgar Allan Poe. Now That would be a challenge.

Well said

I was a Cure fan in younger years and I saw them last summer in Toronto and it really seemed soulless.
Thanks CHrist there will never be a Smiths reunion if there is any chance it could be as disappointing as this.

THey've been going through the motions ever since 'Wish'. It's a shame, really because a lot of stuff before that was so good. RIP the Cure.

1977-1992

It's weird the way The Cure and The Smiths are lumped together in America.

In the UK no one ever thinks of them as being similar. In fact the Cure are the sort of band The Smiths were reacting against when they were formed.

Nick Cave indeed!

I agree he is the only current artist who could give Moz a run for his money these days. I might say Jarvis Cocker, but he's always been a bit more hoaky than Moz and doesn't seem to be doing much other than the once in a while DJ appearance.

As for Nick Cave's literary impulses, let's not forget John Milton.

> Hello,
> I saw the article on The Smiths vs. The Cure. If You really want to give
> Morrissey a challenge, don't give him Robert Smith. I have heard the last
> few Cure Albums and to Me it seems that the band is going through the
> motions. The songs on Bloodflowers and The new album try to be gloomy but
> seem forced. I think personally there is one person who is competition in
> the very well read lyric writing frontman deparment and that's Nick Cave.
> Like Morrissey, is able to write such beautiful lyrics that affect people
> in a profound way. The only difference is Morrissey's love of Oscar Wilde
> and Nick's love of William Faulkner, Flannery O'Conner and maybe Edgar
> Allan Poe. Now That would be a challenge.

> It's weird the way The Cure and The Smiths are lumped together in America.

> In the UK no one ever thinks of them as being similar. In fact the Cure
> are the sort of band The Smiths were reacting against when they were
> formed.
They have gone through so many band member changes its no wonder

Back
Top Bottom