"The Queen's Speech": Morrissey on 2009, TTY

I thought that was the most eloquent and moving update he's released since I've followed them. Also struck by the pathos of the lack of a deal. I agree with many that he needs time to rejuvinate and these circumstances could be a blessing in disguise but more than ever I think for himself and for the sake of justice Morrissey needs to end his career on a high.

The quality of his releases and performances isn't the cause of me viewing his career in fatalistic terms, it's the slow ebb of time, the rigours of tour that mean he shouldn't have this lifestyle at 60.

I think the power of nostalgia dictates that even his most ardent fan will have a preference for the older stuff but people castigating the quality of his 'pop music' on a fan forum gauls me.

Morrissey is more, so much more. He deserves someone who can provide the platform his inspiration deserves. The world will have to listen.

I thought that was the most eloquent and moving update he's released since I've followed them. Also struck by the pathos of the lack of a deal. I agree with many that he needs time to rejuvinate and these circumstances could be a blessing in disguise but more than ever I think for himself and for the sake of justice Morrissey needs to end his career on a high.

The quality of his releases and performances isn't the cause of me viewing his career in fatalistic terms, it's the slow ebb of time, the rigours of tour that mean he shouldn't have this lifestyle at 60.

I think the power of nostalgia dictates that even his most ardent fan will have a preference for the older stuff but people castigating the quality of his 'pop music' on a fan forum gauls me.

Morrissey is more, so much more. He deserves someone who can provide the platform his inspiration deserves. The world will have to listen.

While I agree that he ought to take a long rest if he feels he needs one, I don't think his age should be a factor in any of these decisions. Age is just a number. It has nothing to do with who you are inside. He tours so much that I can only conclude that it's very rewarding for him. Only he can know for sure. Also, Jeebus!, he's only 50! That's not all that old by today's standards. I'm amazed that so many people view him as an elderly gentleman. If he had dyed his hair and had plastic surgery like most famous people I wonder if people would still see him this way. (I'm glad he hasn't done those things.)

Also, I'd like to say that I agree with him that his past three albums have been his best. I listen to them more than anything else, including The Smiths.

Re: Morrissey on 2009, TTY

It's funny isn't it, because I absolutely believe that YoR is one of the worst albums of Morrissey's career - not because there is anything that bad on there, but because it is absolutely tired and uninspiring. The songs are nice enough to listen to, but they don't mean anything much to me. At the same time some people think it's the best thing he's ever done - I say to those people :crazy:

;)

I understand what you are trying to say, but it's not 1992 anymore... Nor is he writing songs from the 33 year old Morrissey pov. What people don't seem to take into account is the fact that if an artist were to try and recreate some moment in the past, they would usually get slated to the bone, probably lose a bit of integrity, and look a bit stupid along the way. The songs that he writes are about him, not us... I would feel personally a bit cheated if he had set out to produce another Your Arsenal or a Vauxhall & I, just because they were critical successes and to try and please people like you and I. Morrissey is 50 now, not 33, and while his current music might mean less to you than it did back then, it means everything to me because he is still here, and he is staying true to himself, rather than worrying about whether some of the long-time fans are going to accept it or not. People's lives change directions all of the time, so obviously an artist's craft and outlook changes as well. If you don't like his current direction, maybe you should have a word with yourself and see if there's maybe someone else that can feel your needs (this isn't just to dizzywhore, it's to anyone that feels this way). I didn't think Loaded was as much of a masterpiece as White Light/White Heat, but I didn't take that too personally, nor would I tell another Velvet fan that they are insane for thinking that loaded was the best thing they had ever done. I for one am grateful that he is still here, and still making music, and I can appreciate the fact that I can listen to something like It's Not Your Birthday Anymore and still feel just as much emotion and joy as I did when I was 17 and listened to Now My Heart is Full for the first time. That is what makes him so special to me personally, and the reason why I am so elated that he is still making music today. I have been a die-hard Morrissey/Smiths fan since 1987, and I think Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed is one of the best songs he has ever, ever done. Am I crazy? I guess so...

I love YOR (...is so powerfull) more than ROT that I love more than YATQ...YOR is definitly my favorite album of 2009.

...I think the power of nostalgia dictates that even his most ardent fan will have a preference for the older stuff but people castigating the quality of his 'pop music' on a fan forum gauls me.

It's true, and I don't want to be what is called on the internet a "hater", but when something like "That's How People Grow Up" gets released officially three times you can't help but wish for something more.

I, generally speaking, would regard Morrissey as more than someone producing just pop music (unlike the inspirational Joe McEldery ;)) but when you make an album so utterly vacuous as YoR you can't expect me to defend it as anything more. As I've said, the songs are nice, but nothing special, groundbreaking or even that interesting at all. I know Morrissey can't sit around producing masterpieces such as 'The Queen Is Dead' every few years, but to produce something this lacklustre is much worse.
I would honestly say that I feel Lily Allen's 2009 album dealt with a lot of the same basic ideas as YoR did, and I absolutely felt that Allen did it better.

Even though you see the death of culture all around you, you also want to raise whatever it is you do to a higher plane, yet there is no one, it seems, who can inch the Morrissey thing forwards. .. :tears::confused:

. I am no longer in the thrall of anything that preceded them; the past is not me.:):)
What does the future hold? What does the next minute hold? It all rests as ever on determination – that which springs from somewhere deeper than the body. Record label interest is zero, but the sun will creep back into the room one way or another. It always does
.:p:guitar:

Small and bowed, I offer you my eternal thanks, and my hopes for a steady 2010, full of good grace and no darkness.:blushing:

I understand what you are trying to say, but it's not 1992 anymore... Nor is he writing songs from the 33 year old Morrissey pov. What people don't seem to take into account is the fact that if an artist were to try and recreate some moment in the past, they would usually get slated to the bone, probably lose a bit of integrity, and look a bit stupid along the way. The songs that he writes are about him, not us... I would feel personally a bit cheated if he had set out to produce another Your Arsenal or a Vauxhall & I, just because they were critical successes and to try and please people like you and I. Morrissey is 50 now, not 33, and while his current music might mean less to you than it did back then, it means everything to me because he is still here, and he is staying true to himself, rather than worrying about whether some of the long-time fans are going to accept it or not. People's lives change directions all of the time, so obviously an artist's craft and outlook changes as well. If you don't like his current direction, maybe you should have a word with yourself and see if there's maybe someone else that can feel your needs (this isn't just to dizzywhore, it's to anyone that feels this way). I didn't think Loaded was as much of a masterpiece as White Light/White Heat, but I didn't take that too personally, nor would I tell another Velvet fan that they are insane for thinking that loaded was the best thing they had ever done. I for one am grateful that he is still here, and still making music, and I can appreciate the fact that I can listen to something like It's Not Your Birthday Anymore and still feel just as much emotion and joy as I did when I was 17 and listened to Now My Heart is Full for the first time. That is what makes him so special to me personally, and the reason why I am so elated that he is still making music today. I have been a die-hard Morrissey/Smiths fan since 1987, and I think Mama Lay Softly On The Riverbed is one of the best songs he has ever, ever done. Am I crazy? I guess so...

Firstly, note my wink - I was being a touch cheeky, but I generally stand by what I said.

I actually am, what some would call, a new Morrissey fan, coming in just after ROTT was released, so I wouldn't say I'm clinging to a Morrissey that I grew up with.

The trouble is, I think, that Morrissey claims he is making a "muscular" rock album, but the result is sort of a subpar Californian rock album. If the voice in some of the songs was American then I wouldn't be amazed to hear them playing in A+F stores.

I absolutely hope that we can have a masterpiece, and if its a punk album that's amazing I'm for it, it's not his current style but not this half-hearted attempt at what everyone else is doing. I really feel like YoR was an album that was produced on the road and knocked out while everyone had the time, rather than any sort of product of care.

I'm not angry with Morrissey or proclaiming he's lost it forever and I'm never listening to him again, and he's raped my childhood or anything - I still really like him, his Desert Island Discs was a joy. However, I think the place he's in artistically at the moment is very dull.

Firstly, note my wink - I was being a touch cheeky, but I generally stand by what I said.

I actually am, what some would call, a new Morrissey fan, coming in just after ROTT was released, so I wouldn't say I'm clinging to a Morrissey that I grew up with.

The trouble is, I think, that Morrissey claims he is making a "muscular" rock album, but the result is sort of a subpar Californian rock album. If the voice in some of the songs was American then I wouldn't be amazed to hear them playing in A+F stores.

I absolutely hope that we can have a masterpiece, and if its a punk album that's amazing I'm for it, it's not his current style but not this half-hearted attempt at what everyone else is doing. I really feel like YoR was an album that was produced on the road and knocked out while everyone had the time, rather than any sort of product of care.

I'm not angry with Morrissey or proclaiming he's lost it forever and I'm never listening to him again, and he's raped my childhood or anything - I still really like him, his Desert Island Discs was a joy. However, I think the place he's in artistically at the moment is very dull.
we are talking about darkness, you is a black cloud

The Replacements!! -
5.gif

"There are no 2010 plans to fire me out of a cannon"...I don't exactly know what that might mean in particular, but i'm still hoping for some gigs.

It was great to (roughly) see things from his perspective. After so many incidents this year that remained unexplained it was great to read this. :)

Maybe I'm being a little too analytical, but I took it as a Hunter S. Thompson reference. If so, it's good news: he plans to stick around.

I thought it was a great piece of writing, by the way. Effortless and beautiful, fatalistic without being pessimistic, looking to the future and finding it worthy of exploration. What more could we ask for, for our man? Even the lowest points (Swindon and Liverpool) are simply shrugged at. He must have composed this after a good night's sleep, a long hot bath and a perfect cup of tea.

YOR is a very strong,solid album from start to end.It rocks like hell. But again it is all very subjective : I find, for example, Maladjusted a very good album with an amazing track "Trouble loves me".:)
Cheers Moz

This was a great statment

lovely, sweet statement, full of the truth about the music industry but tinged with sadness.

I love Years of Refusal, Ringleaders and Quarry and they must have been a great Personal and professional achievement for Morrissey.

Eloquently written. Exactly what we all needed to hear.

It's true, and I don't want to be what is called on the internet a "hater", but when something like "That's How People Grow Up" gets released officially three times you can't help but wish for something more.

I, generally speaking, would regard Morrissey as more than someone producing just pop music (unlike the inspirational Joe McEldery ;)) but when you make an album so utterly vacuous as YoR you can't expect me to defend it as anything more. As I've said, the songs are nice, but nothing special, groundbreaking or even that interesting at all. I know Morrissey can't sit around producing masterpieces such as 'The Queen Is Dead' every few years, but to produce something this lacklustre is much worse.
I would honestly say that I feel Lily Allen's 2009 album dealt with a lot of the same basic ideas as YoR did, and I absolutely felt that Allen did it better.

I don't think that anyone could argue that the scheduling of releases was handled very poorly. It is a shame to see such cross-over of material especially from the driving force of a band that prided itself on avoiding this duplication. It particularly irked me that I was familiar with 6 YOR tracks before getting my grubby hands on it. I also don't understand MLIASOPSG being on Swords and not the likes of Slum Mums.

But I can't agree with the rest. I generally leave the debates over musicianship to others but imho there was a vitality to YOR that grabbed me instantly. As for lyrical content the album resonated with me on a very deep level. SISMS, AYNIM and YWGIYT to name just three are tracks that conveyed despair, poignancy and beauty on levels irrascible for the likes of Lily Allen.

I really loved YOR and I do believe it will stand the test of time as one of my favourite Moz albums. For you well let's just hope that these things take time.

I love you Morrissey. I can picture you typing this all warm and cozy while drinking some tea in a dark room.

Love you always
Chris

Back
Top Bottom