The Moz/Smiths Top 100, Part 92: INTERLUDE

How do you rate Interlude?

• Total voters
What makes this special:

1) Moz does a duet

2) Moz does a duet with a punk icon

3)Moz does a duet with a female punk icon

4)Moz does a duet with female punk icon, Siouxie Sioux

5)Moz does a duet with female punk icon, Siouxie Sioux accompanied by an exquisite string section

6)Moz does a duet with female punk icon, Siouxie Sioux accompanied by an exquisite string section in an homage to the great Timi Yuro

What's not to like?

true!

A worthy 8.

A marvellous arrangement of a beautiful song. The Moz-Sioux vocal dynamic brings a sense of resignation that is compelling. It is also an endorsement of using real strings, as opposed to the horrendously cheap synthetic pads that he's relied on ever since.

On the basis of this song alone Boz should have been given more production duties. He outstrips the collected efforts of Jerry Finn in 4 and a half minutes.

If it's dreadful, you should give it a 2,3 0r 4?

Think there's too many people giving high scores

Duly noted. Tanx for the great advice. Im humbled.​

This song is absolutely beautiful, both vocally and musically. I never get tired of listening to it - I can put it on "repeat" all day long and be quite blissful. I think that Morrissey's vocal is better than Siouxsie's but considering the fact that they recorded their vocals separately, I think they mesh quite well. This is one of the best cover versions that Morrissey has ever recorded. Simply gorgeous: 10.

.....:)...you took the words right out of my mouth....

I'm doing my bit to redress the balance from those people giving every single Morrissey solo song a 10 (*ahem* Radio Berlin *cough*). ;)

To put some of these Morrissey B-sides alongside songs like Suedehead or There is a Light is simply ridiculous. Sure, everybody has a few off-beat favourites, but certain people are rating virtually everything a 9 or 10!!!!

To put some of these Morrissey B-sides alongside songs like Suedehead or There is a Light is simply ridiculous. Sure, everybody has a few off-beat favourites, but certain people are rating virtually everything a 9 or 10!!!!

It was a single, and peaked at number 25 in August 1994.

Only 46 votes, I'm amazed.
It seems a lot of people don't know this song, so here it is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baPwjwbqcPQ

Once we reach 50 I bring in the next one, one that is certain to reach 50 votes before the evening ends...

I'm doing my bit to redress the balance from those people giving every single Morrissey solo song a 10 (*ahem* Radio Berlin *cough*). ;)

maybe they like them a lot and rate them cause they like them that much. I have been surprised at some of the rating, but I have found it very interesting.

I don't! :p I only vote the way I feel and morrissey is my favorite songwriter. besides, I'd rather vote too high than too low. :cool:

Can someone tell me how they agree to do this song and more about their relationship?:)

Um yes really wonderful song. The 12" single was amazing. 3 variations of the same tune!?! A B-side at best I would venture but hey what do I know?

Good cover art though so for that a 5. Really not his best and one must wonder do some of you not acknowledge that Morrissey has made some bad records in his time? The amount of 10s have ensured I've stopped voting in the majority of cases.

Anyone know the story of Morrisey's suggestion for the video? I'll try and find it now:

Here it is

Lazy Sunbather writes:

Browsing through the latest biography of Siouxsie and The Banshees at an HMV store, I came across an interesting piece about Mozzy on page 216 concerning the collaboration between him and Siouxsie on the song 'Interlude' and the obligatory video back in '94.

Siouxsie was never impressed with Mozzy's vocals or his music, but found his humour charming and took up his offer to record a duet in good faith. The vocals completed she took off to his house (somewhere in Primrose Hill at the time) with a director to discuss ideas for the video.

In the kitchen - Mozzy with record company representative, presumbably Murray Chalmers, Siouxsie and aforementioned video director. Mozz wanted to use old footage of Ruth Ellis (the last woman to be hanged in England) or maybe even clips from the film 'Dance With A Stranger', but couldn't get clearance. Siouxsie found both the song and the idea for the video intrigueing and obviously respects Mozzy as a creative artistE of sorts!

Then S&M discussed alternative ideas for the video shoot. Moz puts his foot in it by suggesting to Sioux that they film a British Bulldog asking her a rhetorical question: "I mean what's wrong with being pro-Britain?" Siouxsie, more sensitive to public opionion than Moz will ever be, was not going to be wrong footed on this occasion proffered the question 'What's right with it?' A rather heated slanging match ensued, which is not recorded in the book.

Having already flirted with fascistic iconography during the punk era by daubing swastikas all over the place, Siouxsie - the good catholic girl that she is, made amends by writing the hyper ballad 'Israel' with the Banshees - was not going to compromise her new liberal credibility by dancing in a union jack bikini with a bulldog in her arms, and Morrissey moping about in St. George's flag outside the Houses of Parliament.

'Well what's your suggestion?' asks Morrissey in school marmish tones.

'Personally, I think we should dress up as pink bunny rabbits!'

His royal highness was not amused. Sensing that his creative pretentions were being deflated by the highly formidable Siouxsie, Mozzy and Murray stood up and left the kitchen. Murray returned ten minutes later to state that Morrissey had an important engagement and could not resume the brain storming session with the house guests on this day! Siouxsie took her queue and left with the director.

Siouxsie then realised that she had made a mistake working with Moz. A straight talking no-nonsense woman, she found herself working with somebody who is a master of in-direct communication and is easily offended when his ideas are not taken seriously.

A confrontation about artistic differences would never take place, and Siouxsie was frozen out from that point onwards like so many in the life of unforgiving Morrissey.

Interestingly enough she doesn't put the knife in further by criticising him, like she most certainly could have, just lets the story speak for itself!

I find it really dull.....but if they had dressed in bunny outfits for the video, i would of given it a 10.

Um yes really wonderful song. The 12" single was amazing. 3 variations of the same tune!?! A B-side at best I would venture but hey what do I know?

Good cover art though so for that a 5. Really not his best and one must wonder do some of you not acknowledge that Morrissey has made some bad records in his time? The amount of 10s have ensured I've stopped voting in the majority of cases.

Anyone know the story of Morrisey's suggestion for the video? I'll try and find it now:

Here it is

Lazy Sunbather writes:

Browsing through the latest biography of Siouxsie and The Banshees at an HMV store, I came across an interesting piece about Mozzy on page 216 concerning the collaboration between him and Siouxsie on the song 'Interlude' and the obligatory video back in '94.

Siouxsie was never impressed with Mozzy's vocals or his music, but found his humour charming and took up his offer to record a duet in good faith. The vocals completed she took off to his house (somewhere in Primrose Hill at the time) with a director to discuss ideas for the video.

In the kitchen - Mozzy with record company representative, presumbably Murray Chalmers, Siouxsie and aforementioned video director. Mozz wanted to use old footage of Ruth Ellis (the last woman to be hanged in England) or maybe even clips from the film 'Dance With A Stranger', but couldn't get clearance. Siouxsie found both the song and the idea for the video intrigueing and obviously respects Mozzy as a creative artistE of sorts!

Then S&M discussed alternative ideas for the video shoot. Moz puts his foot in it by suggesting to Sioux that they film a British Bulldog asking her a rhetorical question: "I mean what's wrong with being pro-Britain?" Siouxsie, more sensitive to public opionion than Moz will ever be, was not going to be wrong footed on this occasion proffered the question 'What's right with it?' A rather heated slanging match ensued, which is not recorded in the book.

Having already flirted with fascistic iconography during the punk era by daubing swastikas all over the place, Siouxsie - the good catholic girl that she is, made amends by writing the hyper ballad 'Israel' with the Banshees - was not going to compromise her new liberal credibility by dancing in a union jack bikini with a bulldog in her arms, and Morrissey moping about in St. George's flag outside the Houses of Parliament.

'Well what's your suggestion?' asks Morrissey in school marmish tones.

'Personally, I think we should dress up as pink bunny rabbits!'

His royal highness was not amused. Sensing that his creative pretentions were being deflated by the highly formidable Siouxsie, Mozzy and Murray stood up and left the kitchen. Murray returned ten minutes later to state that Morrissey had an important engagement and could not resume the brain storming session with the house guests on this day! Siouxsie took her queue and left with the director.

Siouxsie then realised that she had made a mistake working with Moz. A straight talking no-nonsense woman, she found herself working with somebody who is a master of in-direct communication and is easily offended when his ideas are not taken seriously.

A confrontation about artistic differences would never take place, and Siouxsie was frozen out from that point onwards like so many in the life of unforgiving Morrissey.

Interestingly enough she doesn't put the knife in further by criticising him, like she most certainly could have, just lets the story speak for itself!

thanks for that info.

I don't like the way their voices sound together, at all. Not a good pairing, from two musicians I otherwise like. I have heard the Moz-only version and I love it, however.

I am completely turned on by words, not just sounds. Which is why I love Moz so- he's all about the text, the lyric, the story. Siouxsie is my DH's all-time favorite, and while I like the music, I can honestly say I don't know the lyrics to most of her songs. I can't hear them clearly enough, and for me, if there is no story, I can't love the music.

The key to seducing me is to keep talking (but you can't just blabber, must be clever)... and I will follow you anywhere.

Love it! I remember when this was released & there was much promotion for it, it felt like an event. When we finally got it & put it on the CD...it just sounded so wonderful. Love the way their two voiced work together. i think it brings out a tenderness in both of them.

Back
Top Bottom