The Lazy Sunbathers / Climate Change

goinghome

you must not tamper with arrangements
The sun burns through
To the planet's core
And it isn't enough
They want more

Dr. Peter Carter, the expert reviewer of the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change and director of the Climate Emergency Institute, posted a 26:33 minute YouTube update on the status of our climate system: Climate Emergency Update Sept. 2023. In his broadcast, the elements of an emergency are clearly related to the planet’s climate system. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oQNrO0fqOA

Dr. Carter’s broadcasts are closely followed by people looking for answers to what’s really happening. Indeed, it is rare, in fact, almost impossible to find a source that truly lays it out without pulling any punches. His presentations are excellent, filled with factually backed statements that are brought to life with emphasis. Indeed, Dr. Carter is a rare personality, a breath of fresh air in today’s world of cynicism, disinformation, and the tendency to ignore difficult choices, especially the challenging status of the planet’s climate system. It is the one thing that we must “get right.”

For years, his motto has been: “Everything is getting worse faster.”...

Let me guess the world is going to end in 5 years? :lbf: :lbf: :lbf:

Thanks for posting that great live clip too. :D

Alain and Jesse played well together. Also, Buckley added some excellent touches during the planet's core part of the chorus, which I like very much.

Do you think this song is about climate change? I thought it was about denial and the world passing over peoples heads

It is only the very beginning of springtime in Brazil and...

How on earth is Morrissey supposed to tour South America during the scorching summer there?

Do you think this song is about climate change? I thought it was about denial and the world passing over peoples heads
There were a group of European ex-pats (Greta Garbo was one of them) that pretty much sat out the war in the California sunshine. they dubbed themselves 'The Lazy Sunbathers.' If you look at the lyrics of the song Morrissey is most likely referencing that.

There were a group of European ex-pats (Greta Garbo was one of them) that pretty much sat out the war in the California sunshine. they dubbed themselves 'The Lazy Sunbathers.' If you look at the lyrics of the song Morrissey is most likely referencing that.
I did a quick Google check because I didn't know that about Garbo, but I found that in a biography Greta Garbo: A Divine Star by David Bret (in the first paragraph of chapter 13, Garbo's War), the author says that she was not one of the so-called 'lazy sunbathers' and he goes on to write about her secret war missions.

I did a quick Google check because I didn't know that about Garbo, but I found that in a biography Greta Garbo: A Divine Star by David Bret (in the first paragraph of chapter 13, Garbo's War), the author says that she was not one of the so-called 'lazy sunbathers' and he goes on to write about her secret war missions.
Well she may have denied it (David Bret BTW is the absolute WORST source you could quote on anything.) However you get my drift about who the lazy sunbathers were and how the phrase was coined.

Well she may have denied it (David Bret BTW is the absolute WORST source you could quote on anything.) However you get my drift about who the lazy sunbathers were and how the phrase was coined.
Yes, I get your drift. Of course, if they were secret missions, Garbo could have been regarded by others as one of the lazy sunbathers. Do you have any other sources for the term as I'd be interested to know when it was first used and in what context (eg in a newpaper at the time or later historical accounts).

Lazy Sunbathers does seem to me to be about how people can be oblivious to threats outside, including climate change.

To diverge a little from the title, a cheerier story appeared in today's Irish Times about a pear tree growing virtually in Dublin city centre that's just been DNA tested and estimated to be about 170 years old.

1695845430340.png
“Without a shadow of a doubt it is a Marechal de Cour brought to Ireland from around 1847-1850,” Mr Kennedy said.

He said the tree has become part of “Liberties legend”, with some dating its planting to 1805 when the distillery windmill, originally constructed in 1757, was rebuilt.
The area is the ancient Liberties quarter, home of Vicar Street venue where Morrissey played 2 shows this past July. The pears from the tree are harvested and used by staff and students of the nearby art school.

Hurrah for trees! 🌳☀️

Yes, I get your drift. Of course, if they were secret missions, Garbo could have been regarded by others as one of the lazy sunbathers. Do you have any other sources for the term as I'd be interested to know when it was first used and in what context (eg in a newpaper at the time or later historical accounts).
I'm not sure TBH but if you read the lyric, 'a world war was announced days ago, but they wouldn't know' really does seem to reference that infamous group of Brits/European Hollywood expats. Particularly when we know Morrissey has an intense interest in 'old' Hollywood.

I'm not sure TBH but if you read the lyric, 'a world war was announced days ago, but they wouldn't know' really does seem to reference that infamous group of Brits/European Hollywood expats. Particularly when we know Morrissey has an intense interest in 'old' Hollywood.
I'd imagine that group fed into the inspiration for the song. I wasn't aware of it before. Interesting.

True enough, there's no mention of climate change in comments on the lyrics here
https://songmeanings.com/songs/view/55781/

But AI agrees with me! https://www.songtell.com/morrissey/the-lazy-sunbathers

FYI, I consider war to be environmental destruction (https://ceobs.org/), which might explain my interpretation.

Back
Top Bottom