The Click Track?

ACrackOnTheHead

Sorry, i'm afraid I can't offer any downloads myself, but rather a request. Does anybody know where I can find the unreleased Smiths song 'The Click Track' (I think it's also known as Fast one)? I've heard of it before but never listened to it and i'd really love to listen to it. It's nowhere to be seen on Youtube. If someone could provide a link to it or a download link that would be absolutely fab. :)

Cheers guys, that's brilliant. I had a look at the bootleg, I don't think it seems to be on the tracklisting but i'll download the bootleg anyway, it looks really brilliant (I've never listened to bootlegs or anything like that before. I'm really becoming a proper Smiths fan now! :D). Is that the full version of the recording? I've seen talk of a longer version. Can that be found anywhere? :)

The Cowbell/Click Track

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xp9lz8

Here is some information from Simon Goddard's book Songs That Saved Your Life, via an old post here by a former member of this site called Jukebox Jury, regarding this song:

I emailed Simon Goddard about this track. He confirmed it was genuine, but that information given during the clip was completely wrong.... here are the real facts.

''It was recorded in July 1984 (three years before the split) at Jam Studios, London around the same time as 'William....' and 'How Soon Is Now?' and was produced by John Porter. Morrissey was in the studio, he just never sang on it because it was an instrumental demo of no specific title but, for studio purposes, it was logged on the master reels as "Fast One". It's referred to under that title in the book 'Songs That Saved Your Life', in which I speculated that elements of the tune were a precursor to 'I Want The One I Can't Have' (written few months later). It was never ever called "The Click Track", except by those who weren't paying proper attention.

The audio track on the YouTube clip may well be from the BBC6 broadcast in 2006(?) where Mike Joyce played a snippet. It is a poor recording and much better versions of "Fast One" exist, minus that infuriating click.''

The 'clip' JJ was referring to is the excerpt of this track as played by Joyce when he was a guest on a radio show a few years back, as linked above. So, there is a longer, complete version of the take, but as far as I know it has never been leaked.

The Cowbell/Click Track

http://www.sendspace.com/file/xp9lz8

Here is some information from Simon Goddard's book Songs That Saved Your Life, via an old post here by a former member of this site called Jukebox Jury, regarding this song:

I emailed Simon Goddard about this track. He confirmed it was genuine, but that information given during the clip was completely wrong.... here are the real facts.

''It was recorded in July 1984 (three years before the split) at Jam Studios, London around the same time as 'William....' and 'How Soon Is Now?' and was produced by John Porter. Morrissey was in the studio, he just never sang on it because it was an instrumental demo of no specific title but, for studio purposes, it was logged on the master reels as "Fast One". It's referred to under that title in the book 'Songs That Saved Your Life', in which I speculated that elements of the tune were a precursor to 'I Want The One I Can't Have' (written few months later). It was never ever called "The Click Track", except by those who weren't paying proper attention.

The audio track on the YouTube clip may well be from the BBC6 broadcast in 2006(?) where Mike Joyce played a snippet. It is a poor recording and much better versions of "Fast One" exist, minus that infuriating click.''

The 'clip' JJ was referring to is the excerpt of this track as played by Joyce when he was a guest on a radio show a few years back, as linked above. So, there is a longer, complete version of the take, but as far as I know it has never been leaked.

Had never read the whole story before, Skylarker. Enjoyed Goddard's subtle dig at a certain someone i.e. " ... never ever called the 'Click Track' except by those who weren't paying proper attention...".

Righto, so a longer version does exist but it hasn't surfaced. Ah well, the excerpt is very nice anyway. On the subject of unreleased Smiths songs, i've heard whispers of song titles like Father and Son (mentioned in an 1985 interview with Morrissey in the Smiths NME Special, I think), I was Bully Don't Not Forget Me, The Longer I Live, Action Man, Melanie and Matter of Opinion. Now i've read up about Matter of Opinion, but the others i've just read mentioned in another thread on here. Are they unreleased Smiths songs? Have any of them surfaced?

These are some rarities that have surfaced in the last year or two.

The Smiths - Frankly, Mr. Shankly (With Horns) [MP3, Studio, grlmopz].mp3
The Smiths - I Want A Boy For My Birthday Clip (Plus Original) [MP3, Bedroom, Unknown].mp3
The Smiths - Paint A Vulgar Picture (Demo) [MP3, Studio, Nasti Indie 103.1].mp3
The Smiths - Rubber Ring (Reggae) [MP3, Studio, grlmopz].mp3
The Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World Unite (Instrumental) [MP3, Studio, grlmopz].mp3
The Smiths - Suffer Little Children - Decibel Demo [MP3, Studio, Decibelle].mp3
The Smiths - The Cowbell-Click Track [MP3, Studio, Radio6].mp3

Additionally, there have been multitrack versions of This Charming Man and Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before.

The motherlode of rarities was leaked at Christmas 2010 in the Unreleased Demos and Rarities vinyl bootleg. The best version of that, along with some great notes, can be found at The Power of Independent Trucking.

Righto, so a longer version does exist but it hasn't surfaced. Ah well, the excerpt is very nice anyway. On the subject of unreleased Smiths songs, i've heard whispers of song titles like Father and Son (mentioned in an 1985 interview with Morrissey in the Smiths NME Special, I think), I was Bully Don't Not Forget Me, The Longer I Live, Action Man, Melanie and Matter of Opinion. Now i've read up about Matter of Opinion, but the others i've just read mentioned in another thread on here. Are they unreleased Smiths songs? Have any of them surfaced?

"I Was A Bully Do Not Forget Me," "The Longer I Live," and "Action Man" are published songs on the ASCAP website credited (all of them, I believe) to Morrissey/Whyte. We know from Boz that "Action Man" was an abandoned track from "Ringleader." The others are perhaps abandoned from YOR? Or perhaps they will be used in the future.

I've never heard of "Father and Son." Anyone else know about this?

It was never ever called "The Click Track", except by those who weren't paying proper attention.

I'm normally a defender of Mike Joyce, but I think this dig by Simon Goddard was funny.

At least Mike managed to keep hold of a copy - without him playing it on 6 Music we would never have known of its existence. I wonder if Andy even remembers it? :)

Dave

These are some rarities that have surfaced in the last year or two.

The Smiths - Frankly, Mr. Shankly (With Horns) [MP3, Studio, grlmopz].mp3
The Smiths - I Want A Boy For My Birthday Clip (Plus Original) [MP3, Bedroom, Unknown].mp3
The Smiths - Paint A Vulgar Picture (Demo) [MP3, Studio, Nasti Indie 103.1].mp3
The Smiths - Rubber Ring (Reggae) [MP3, Studio, grlmopz].mp3
The Smiths - Shoplifters Of The World Unite (Instrumental) [MP3, Studio, grlmopz].mp3
The Smiths - Suffer Little Children - Decibel Demo [MP3, Studio, Decibelle].mp3
The Smiths - The Cowbell-Click Track [MP3, Studio, Radio6].mp3

Additionally, there have been multitrack versions of This Charming Man and Stop Me If You Think That You've Heard This One Before.

The motherlode of rarities was leaked at Christmas 2010 in the Unreleased Demos and Rarities vinyl bootleg. The best version of that, along with some great notes, can be found at The Power of Independent Trucking.

Hi there, is there any chance anyone could re-up any of these, particularly Shoplifters, which I understand is a different version to the Christmas 2010 leak? Many thanks.

Cheers everybody. I've downloaded all this stuff. Brilliant! I've heard alot of it before on youtube (Search HipsterDisco. He/She uploads loads of unreleased Smiths/Morrissey.), though, but that doesn't matter. What I haven't heard before blows me away. So, just to confirm, is there any unreleased Smiths songs (rather than live versions, alternative takes, peel/tate session stuff etc) that are circulating apart from I Misses You, Heavy Track and the Cowbell-Click Track?

Back
Top Bottom