Sweetie Pie Appreciation Thread

wolve

the sad punk
I think this song is wonderful. First of all: because it's something totally different from what he has done so far. I wonder how Morrissey (or Mikey actually) came up with something electronical! Maybe lots of you don't like it because there are no traditional instruments on it - but I listen to a lot of bands that play electronica, and "bleeps" can sometimes have a wonderful effect.

Secondo: the voices + the lyrics. Wauw. The point where the voices of Kristeen and Morrissey both get "high" (I've heard the term "falsetto" attached to it several times) makes me shudder every time!

It's some great experimental shit. Finally, this is amongst the better Ringleader-work.

I like it - just. I'd say it is my least favourite Ringleader b-side though. Liked the idea of Kristeens' voice being included but sometimes it sounds horrible and doesn't work at all imo. Nice to see experimentation but for me it is experimentation in a wrong direction.

I'm not one for highjacking but I feel it necessary to retort to this :p

Firstly, I am all for Morrissey trying new things. And I am a fan of electronic music, but this is more like noise. My old skool modem gave off better sounds. And the vocals are painful.

Being experimental does not give artists an excuse to create crap quality music.

I think this song is wonderful. First of all: because it's something totally different from what he has done so far. I wonder how Morrissey (or Mikey actually) came up with something electronical! Maybe lots of you don't like it because there are no traditional instruments on it - but I listen to a lot of bands that play electronica, and "bleeps" can sometimes have a wonderful effect.

Secondo: the voices + the lyrics. Wauw. The point where the voices of Kristeen and Morrissey both get "high" (I've heard the term "falsetto" attached to it several times) makes me shudder every time!

It's some great experimental shit. Finally, this is amongst the better Ringleader-work.
Wolve, I'm the electro-queen, but I'm not just going to like any track with a synth on it.

The problems with the track are that 1) It sounds like the vocals and music are from two totally separate songs. There's no interconnection at all which, while something that could possibly work in the right hands, simply does not this time. 2) As a result of this, the whole song is completely off-kilter. Morrissey's vocals sound out of tune in places, the musical landscape (a compliment, if anything - maybe musical landfill is more apt) sounds almost improvised and kind of inept. 3) The lyrics aren't really up to much. Kind of like the deformed bastard child of "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" and "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty". Morrissey's on auto-pilot yet again.

Thankfully, I wasn't expecting much from it, so I haven't been let down. It's just the icing on the ROTTen cake.

I just want to say I like it and I'm glad to see Morrissey trying new styles and difference

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE it awww he sounds so sexy hmmm ok i didnt say that lol no really he does i think its one of his best songs yet

Just had a listen as I found it on another thread.

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of decent electronica, Kid A is one of my favourite albums, I really like Aphex twin, Portishead etc and The Eraser is possibly my favourite album of this year. I'd love it if Morrissey made more of an effort tyo move away from that same old staid, indie-pop guitar based bullshit that he's been knocking out for the last few years, but Sweetie pie is a big old pile of shit. I'm just worried that people who have not normally ventured into listening to this genre will be put off by it. Don't be, it's a very bad example of how to do it.

The lyrics are f***ing dreadful as well, and he sounds like he's being fisted throughout.

LOVE IT LOVE IT LOVE it awww he sounds so sexy hmmm ok i didnt say that lol no really he does i think its one of his best songs yet

Thank you, I'm so glad some people like this song. Earlier I said I didn't like it, but how can anyone turn down a voice like that especially when he hits the high note?

It's horrible but atleast it's something new. Kristeen's backing vocals are purely bad however. Why, why wasn't it "Children In Pieces" instead?

At first I wasn't really sure about this, but after a few listens I've really grown to love it. Morrissey sounds great, and even though Im not really a fan of Kristeen Young I thing she also sounds great in this.

At first I wasn't really sure about this, but after a few listens I've really grown to love it. Morrissey sounds great, and even though Im not really a fan of Kristeen Young I thing she also sounds great in this.

I have to say, and please don't be offended by this, that I suspect people on this board are going to like it no matter what.

Morrissey could record himself shitting in a bucket and the people here would still lap it up like strawberry ice cream.

I was shocked by how dull Sweetie pie was, nothing happens, it's a very basic song structure just with ambient noises instead of instruments.

Lazy and shit if you ask me.

Thank you, I'm so glad some people like this song. Earlier I said I didn't like it, but how can anyone turn down a voice like that especially when he hits the high note?

I never knew he could go that high lol really its an amazing song cos its so different

Wolve, I'm the electro-queen, but I'm not just going to like any track with a synth on it.
There's a big difference between electro and electronica. And don't go comparing it to PSB.

The problems with the track are that 1) It sounds like the vocals and music are from two totally separate songs. There's no interconnection at all which, while something that could possibly work in the right hands, simply does not this time. 2) As a result of this, the whole song is completely off-kilter. Morrissey's vocals sound out of tune in places, the musical landscape (a compliment, if anything - maybe musical landfill is more apt) sounds almost improvised and kind of inept. 3) The lyrics aren't really up to much. Kind of like the deformed bastard child of "Seasick, Yet Still Docked" and "I've Changed My Plea To Guilty". Morrissey's on auto-pilot yet again.

Ooph, you didn't!

1/ It's hard for me to search for examples on which voice + bleeps do interconnect. I don't agree with you on this one: the bleeps do lead Morrissey's voice. And Kristeen's does it even more.
2/Musical landscape improvised and inept?! I get more feelings out of this song than I did when listening to Yorke's experimental shizzle! (No, it's not right of me to compare these things - I like both but hard to find parallels)
3/Auto-pilot? Yes, you're totally right. "Sweetie Pie/I'm ending my life/Because I've fallen love" is just like "Wish I had the charm/To attract the one I love/But I've got no charm".
4/oh right, no fourth.

Look, I like the song and it's your right to dislike it. It's stupid to give arguments why one should like/dislike it. Sorry for you if you think it's bagger - but I like what he tried with this.

Thankfully, I wasn't expecting much from it, so I haven't been let down. It's just the icing on the ROTTen cake.

Again, your opinion is all that matters.

CharethCutestory said:
I have to say, and please don't be offended by this, that I suspect people on this board are going to like it no matter what.

Morrissey could record himself shitting in a bucket and the people here would still lap it up like strawberry ice cream.

I was shocked by how dull Sweetie pie was, nothing happens, it's a very basic song structure just with ambient noises instead of instruments.

Lazy and shit if you ask me.

So then all Morrissey fans should detest every song he releases from now on? It seems to take less effort to cry down. In my opinion it's brave and great to try something new; the use of bleeps and noizzzze, hence it's NOT a basic song structure.

So then all Morrissey fans should detest every song he releases from now on? It seems to take less effort to cry down. In my opinion it's brave and great to try something new; the use of bleeps and noizzzze, hence it's NOT a basic song structure.

That's not what I said now is it, as you well know, and if you're going to start playing those kind of games you're going to make yourself sound like a cock muncher.

The point that I was trying to make is that some people will love any old toss that Veggie Kray here knocks out, because they can't face the idea that he's made a mistake, because that would make him human rather than god-like and then they'd have to face up to the fact that they're idolising some halfwit from Stretford..... which'd be a bit embarassing.

How else do you explain anyone, on the planet, listening to The father who must be killed by choice?

Also, the beeps and noise aren't what I was talking about, they are the instruments in effect, I was talking about the structure of the song, which was pretty much identical to every other piece of shit that he's released recently.

Newsflash: it's possible for people to like stuff you don't like. I hope you have the character enough to appreciate other opinions (I'm sure you do) and I can follow you in what you're saying (but that doesn't mean I agree), but I just like the song. Shoot me for liking it?

Oh, and to add: I've yet to encounter a Morrissey-fan who likes EVERYTHING he's released.

Please it's just a matter of a opinion. The reason why most people are here is because they like the majority of moz's work, otherwise I'd just go to a James Blunt forum and torture those guys (which does sound like fun :p ). Personally if I found all Mozs new material awful I wouldnt use this forum and just listen to his old stuff by myself. Sweetie Pie is a marmite song. So f u love it it doesnt mean ur blinded by the love of moz it's just that u like that song.

Back
Top Bottom