Strange/unexpected Moz references?

Was looking on imdb for the actor Steven pinder, who used to play max Farnham in brookside, and he was in an episode of casualty called How soon is now

I fell asleep on the couch a few nights ago while watching Nip/Tuck and awoke to The Smiths' 'Please, please, please let me get what I want.' I had apparently been out for five or ten minutes when I awoke from a dead sleep and said to my husband 'That's The Smiths!' :lbf:

not really so strange but just wanted to say a big thank you to the great city of Manchester for a most interesting visit yesterday! visited the lads club for a pic or 2 and went on to find the southern cemetery, ( thanks to THE guide JJ) gravely read the stones and had a wander round. not enough time to visit anywhere else,sadly was a flying visit, but delightful all the same!!! xxx

On Newsnight review with Billy Bragg.... they reviewed Jez Butterworth's play JERUSALEM. The play explores the new ideas of Englishness and what English identity in the 21st century can mean. Jez Butterworth's mentions that all they had at school was the BNP and The Smiths.

This programme was very interesting...please watch
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b00qr2rx/The_Review_Show_12_02_2010/

Also Ian McMillan take on Britishness at the People's History Museum in Manchester. The importance of regions:thumb:
and Young, Angry and White which is about an A level student who may join the BNP.

Watch Billy Bragg telling us to embrace the Union Jack, why didn't he defend Morrissey, 18 years ago.:mad:
I love Billy though and always will.

Reading a photographer's blog, I stumbled on this:

"Johnny Marr for the masses
As a non-musician, I'm intrigued with all the DIY Youtubes of those imitating their rock heroes. Usually, they sound exactly as you'd suspect (to be kind.) However, this one is brilliant, witty, and my favorite one of all:"

http://fastfilm1.blogspot.com/2010/02/johnny-marr-for-masses_12.html

Granted, most of you have probably already seen the video (of someone playing How Soon is Now) since it was posted on YouTube in 2007. But it's new to me, and it is very brilliant :thumb:

Reading a photographer's blog, I stumbled on this:

"Johnny Marr for the masses
As a non-musician, I'm intrigued with all the DIY Youtubes of those imitating their rock heroes. Usually, they sound exactly as you'd suspect (to be kind.) However, this one is brilliant, witty, and my favorite one of all:"

http://fastfilm1.blogspot.com/2010/02/johnny-marr-for-masses_12.html

Granted, most of you have probably already seen the video (of someone playing How Soon is Now) since it was posted on YouTube in 2007. But it's new to me, and it is very brilliant :thumb:

I think this is danielearwicker, his youtube channel is excellent, he is so talented. Check out some of his other videos. :thumb:

The weirdest I've seen was a sign the council put up to advertise some Irish dancing for St Patrick's Day, which happened to be occuring around one of Birmingham's fountains.

It was called?

"Reel Around The Fountain".

I have a photo of it somewhere but I can't find it.... It was a true moment of wtf! :lbf:

That is the best Morrissey cover I've ever heard! :lbf:

*groovin' to the Bontempi organ. Pops out hip.*

Sing your life... went on the bus and complained about the "youth today", did some gardening, found an ulcer in an unexpected place, fell asleep for three days and thought it was Sunday, developed the odour of cabbages, rather than of sanctity.

Doesn't scan though, unfortunately.

watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the song playing in the museum scene is an instrumental version of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

watching Ferris Bueller's Day Off, the song playing in the museum scene is an instrumental version of Please Please Please Let Me Get What I Want.

Incidentally, if you ever care to go recreate that scene, you can stop in and see the "Picture of Dorian Gray" that was used in the 1945 film. It's by Ivan Albright, and it also hangs in the Art Institute.

I wonder how many postcards of that painting Morrissey has been given over the years?

Psych episode 411, 22 minutes in. Sean says to Gus' new girlfriend, "Smiths lyric off, you, me, ten minutes." She replies "I'm going to wipe the floor with you. We're starting with The Queen Is Dead." Sean says, "15 minutes."
This is actually the second time Psych has referenced the Smiths - the other was this:

Last edited by a moderator:
It seems that 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want' is now on Cafe Nero's playlist. I heard it playing in there on Valentine's Day, appropriately enough.

I was in HMV in Edinburgh today and they were playing The Sound of the Smiths. But there was not one single Smiths CD in the whole shop. Which is strange, but not entirely unexpected.

On NME Radio Steve Sutherland and a woman who works at Coldplay's management company are reviewing new releases.

Sutherland slagged off a song by a band called Chapel Brothers describing that the singer reminded him of Morrissey.

What a silly old man.

Tags
burlesque coronation street live morrissey new album poster sport strips the smiths
Back
Top Bottom