Rubber Ring

The Seeker of Good Songs

What has rubber ring to do with the song?

If one reads the lyrics at It May All End Tomorrow http://www.oz.net/~moz/ the line is "Rubber Ring"

at Passions http://passionsjustlikemine.com/smiths-w.htm the line is "Love me"

after listening to it again and again, I hear it as "Love me"

"Love me" makes most sense especially with the line following being:
"Do you
Love me like you used to ?"

What is Rubber Ring?

I think it's a Life Saver, a floatie... a what-do-you-call-it... an inflatable doughnutty tire thingy that you throw to a drowning person.

This, for me, is the very best of all the Smiths and Morrissey songs. I vaguely remember liking the song, but not getting the bits about being "older now, and a clever swine," but now that I am, I get it. If nothing else, I would love to meet him and thank him for that song. He knew exactly what his music was doing for me twenty years ago, and what it would be like to look back on those times, now.

I want to make a sign that says, "Yes, I love you like I used to" and hold it up at the show but my seats are too far away...

Its such a clever song....and so true....and he`s saved me for real several times.:D

I think it's a Life Saver, a floatie... a what-do-you-call-it... an inflatable doughnutty tire thingy that you throw to a drowning person.

This, for me, is the very best of all the Smiths and Morrissey songs. I vaguely remember liking the song, but not getting the bits about being "older now, and a clever swine," but now that I am, I get it. If nothing else, I would love to meet him and thank him for that song. He knew exactly what his music was doing for me twenty years ago, and what it would be like to look back on those times, now.

I want to make a sign that says, "Yes, I love you like I used to" and hold it up at the show but my seats are too far away...

Ah...I get it now. Those Brits and their weird language!

Good idea for a sign also. I am thinking up some myself. Hadn't thought of that one. and I'll be close enough. But may look a bit strange from a fat bald old man.

A rubber ring is a lifebouy thing,a float.

A rubber ring is a lifebouy thing,a float.

Yeah it's something you cling to to save yourself.
So basically it's saying music is something we cling onto saving us from all of our problems, giving us a outlet for frustration and stress.
When I hear it, it makes feel like he is throwing me a 'rubber ring' to save me from drowning through music.

Wow. I always thought that a "rubber ring" was a record, especially a 45". I had no idea that it meant anything else. Is it a UK-only term? (I can't even think of what they're called in the States--"flotation devices"?)

Last edited:
(I can't even think of what they're called in the States--"flotation devices"?)

life preserver

Life%20Preserver%201.jpg

Back
Top Bottom