"Rourke - Joyce - Gannon / Summer 2018" tweet - Something's going on...

42051_rourke-joyce-gannon.jpg

The Smiths members tease announcement - NME. Link from Shoplifterromo.

Last edited by a moderator:
Of course he wasn't the most important member, but I do believe his contribution is massively underrated. As first to die says, his bass playing is woven into the sound of the Smiths. Best of luck to them emulating From the Jam...

I don't believe that anyone under rates his bass playing. It was essential to the Smiths sound and if emulating from the Jam is the goal then good luck. I don't deny anyone trying to make a living either. The two bit part players have had 30 years to make a living since the demise off the Smiths. How's that worked out? Even now, as middle aged guys, they are looking to Moz and Marr as to a way to make their way in life.

I find it a sad, boring non event.

So actually having songs to sing and play is not that important to you then?

Have you followed Andy's career post Smiths at all? Outside of taking the people who gave him everything to court it's been pretty uneventful. The notion that he was, I repeat, the "most" important member of the band is ridiculous.
No, I've not followed him since The Smiths. Of course having songs is important. I didn't say he WAS The Smiths just the most important member. He wrote all his own basslines and was as much songwriter as J ohnny and Morrissey. He made a great group magic and I believe he could make another great group magic. Andy is the stardust.

I'll answer for anonymous mate. I'm 53 and from Newcastle, is that northern enough for you? So please don't make out that our anonymous friend doesn't "get it" because of age or geography! He/she gets it totally.
I asked a perfectly reasonable question. Not sure what you're getting in such a twist about. Mate.

Don't think they will call themselves The Smiths but Big Country had continued success after Mike Peters from The Alarm took over on vocals after Stuart Adamsons suicide.
Don't know how I missed the Stuart Adamson suicide, that's awful. When I saw Big Country live he continued to play with a newly-cracked rib. Proper dedication. Big Country were great but it has to be said, the Alarm were bloody awful. I do hope Mike Peters doesn't still have that preposterous mullet.

Rourke is the only part of this which interests me.

Though Marr complained Gannon just played what he originally played.. Which isn't a bad trait to have if they're covering Smiths songs.

Rourke and Marr are the musical backbone: Morrissey is impossible to replace.

Plenty of punk drummers who only play in 4/4 out there.

Whaaaaat?? :eek: Very interesting, certainly! Could be interesting if it doesn't suck (hope it doesn't;)) I wouldn't be surprised if Johnny participates on some level. If it happens and makes it to NY, I will certainly be there!

I can only imagine Morrissey's take on this...lol.

After reading autobiography and the way the did moz and his mom plus the fact none of them have accomplished ANYTHING,since The Smiths .I'm out and could care diddly winks about them .I'm content with loyal Boz,and little jessie and of course the greatest ...Moz

What is truly wonderful about this thread is that absolutely nobody has the slightest f***ing clue WHAT it is, yet here everybody is, blurbling on at the proverbial mouth. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it turned out to be something like a one month special event where they do music lessons for disadvantaged youths at the Salisbury steak boys club?

"Oh yeahr, What I meant to say is what a bunch of top blokes, giving back to the kids and that."

What is truly wonderful about this thread is that absolutely nobody has the slightest f***ing clue WHAT it is, yet here everybody is, blurbling on at the proverbial mouth. Wouldn't it be wonderful if it turned out to be something like a one month special event where they do music lessons for disadvantaged youths at the Salisbury steak boys club?

"Oh yeahr, What I meant to say is what a bunch of top blokes, giving back to the kids and that."
Are u kidding they are money mungers not talented enough to make their own music....id be very surprised....yeah shocked

if i see someone I worked with a long time ago I avoid them like the plague because you know both parties would just be doing the polite thing and the conversation would be awkward and boring.dont see the point of a reunion and I wouldn't be going,it would be a cash grab and nothing else.

if i see someone I worked with a long time ago I avoid them like the plague because you know both parties would just be doing the polite thing and the conversation would be awkward and boring.dont see the point of a reunion and I wouldn't be going,it would be a cash grab and nothing else.

Yeah but working with someone isn’t really quite the same as they chose each other to a large degree. It’d be more like starting a successful company with someone

Here's a potential vocal part replacement. Morrissey wasn't the only singer of The Smiths, you know.

It's a laughable and pitiful notion that anyone could be interested in such people - thirty five years since they got lucky clutching Morrissey's tail. The world is full of crashing bores.
They are talented musicians, especially Andy who gave an extra dimension to every Smiths song. Just like the lads in The Jam were talented but nobody mentions them because it's always and ever about the lead singer. Nobody mentions Simon Gallup even though he was integral to The Cure.

If I was Morrissey and half (possibly 3/4) of my old group were playing together I'd feel terribly restless. If it's not love, then it's the hate that may bring them together - and he has plenty of that.

As long as it's not Marr on vocals.
We all know that Johnny and friends can present the Smiths in a sonically pleasing fashion. Is the voice the same? No. But it's honest, and it's from the same streets upon streets upon streets upon streets that spawned Surly Steve, and minus all of the bullshit that makes Surly Steve less than wonderful much of the time.
I'd rather hear those guys any day than another sloppy Smiths cover by hands that cannot play them well even with the original voice singing over it.

Tags
classically smiths
Back
Top Bottom