Rodrigo y Gabriela

McLovin

Anyone else into 'em? I think they're fabulous.

For the uninitiated, their story's relatively unique. They started out in a thrash metal band in Mexico City. But realizing that they weren't making any headway, they decided to try their luck in Ireland. After bouncing around pubs and the streets for a good while, they eventually caught their big break when they caught the attention of Damien Rice.

They're two lightning-fingered acoustic guitar players. Rodrigo on lead, and Gabriela on rhythm duties with percussive techniques to boot.

32792420.jpg

^^ It's one of my favorite albums of the last 10 years or so. It also includes a cover of "Stairway to Heaven", which at first blush seems trite, but I think it works for several reasons: First, it's a significant departure from the original version. Second, it's seemingly a sincere homage to metal forefathers, which they've been frequently known to do. Third, it tends to break up the potential monotony that can settle for an audience that might not be accustomed to flamenco-like-flavored acoustic guitar music.

The album also includes a cover of Metallica's "Orion", which I think is very tasty.

Their new album 11:11 is coming out in a couple of days, and let me tell ya, I'm super geeked.

Watch my future ex-wife in action in "Diablo Rojo":

[youtube]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSn6b4HA1lI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/KSn6b4HA1lI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/youtube]

And here's their cover of Metallica's "Orion":

[youtube]<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/L0CsLefLisE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]

Express your utter joy. Or give me a pity reply. But haters summarily will be told to GTFO. ;)

Yeah, good stuff. Got the previous album. I tried to get the new one on the playlist at work.

:)

Yes, they're crazy but great guys and I'm glad they're doing well. Ixtapa is a great song and I also like PPA.
Mis paisanos son bien chingones :thumb:

They're great songs indeed although my own personal fav is "Diablo Rojo".

I'm curious. How are they received in Mexico? Are they national superstars? Or are they a novel but talented 'indie' group like the way they're generally received in the States? Or something in between?

Yeah, good stuff. Got the previous album. I tried to get the new one on the playlist at work.

:)

I love them and they are amazing live.:thumb:

:thumb:

y Gabriela es muy caliente.:thumb:

Not your 'traditionl' or 'conventional' beauty, but a beauty nevertheless as she's got a great energy about her that I find oh-so alluring. She will bear our love child. It's foretold.

Not your 'traditionl' or 'conventional' beauty, but a beauty nevertheless as she's got a great energy about her that I find oh-so alluring. She will bear our love child. It's foretold.

Please keep me in mind for the Christening party.:thumb:

I'm curious. How are they received in Mexico? Are they national superstars? Or are they a novel but talented 'indie' group like the way they're generally received in the States? Or something in between?

They've been well received by the critics in México, and their reputation is great in the music scene, unfortunately they haven't topped the charts yet .. charts are made for crashing bores, and that's a worldwide disease, bigger than swine flu... But they have everything to become profets on their own land.
Actually they will play here in Mexico city in the metropolitan theater next october 26, and that will be the first time I'll see them playing live (I've losted them last year in the national auditorium :mad:) and I will tell you the details.

Back
Top Bottom