Rebels Without Applause released as a single track - initially on some region's YT, now to buy & stream (November 24, 2022)

UPDATE (Nov. 25):

This Charming Bowie posted the story from official_morrissey_central / Instagram:

Morrissey's Rebels Without Applause is available today worldwide (including Britain) on Spotify,
courtesy of Capitol Records. The track is produced by Andrew Watt. This is Morrissey's first 'single' release since 'It's Over', taken from the 'California Son' album in November 2019. 'It's Over' peaked at number 1 in the UK vinyl chart.

Also now on Morrissey Central. Link posted by Famous when dead.

full

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow this is a surprise...on Spotify in Ireland...Great but zero PR that this was coming...maybe a miss

Watt may have an approach when it comes to voice modulation - I’ve seen it on his latest Ozzy albums. Will be interested to see how this plays out on other album tracks.

Few listens to this single - purchased on UK iTunes - and I don’t mind the results. Vocals are a bit thinner than the live performances, but Morrissey has a few new inflections here and there.

Some people still appear to have trouble seeing it on streaming (I know of UK and US), but here it's definitely on the official Spotify. YouTube says 'Morrissey-Topic' instead of the normal Morrissey account.

View attachment 86219

Edit:
Amazon has it too

View attachment 86216
Thank you.
Yes it's obviously an international; release It's just being dropped via time zone. FWD guessed that above, i see what he meant now
I guess that means the LP is due .
Maybe M is f***ed off, as the record company have decided not to listen to what he wants and are releasing the songs in their own way.
So, with this news, he got depressed, maybe this or maybe that. Who f***ing knows. M world is a strange town

Not sure is this is good or bad with the surprise drop...I mean Morrissey Central would surely have posted if they knew it was coming...and record company would've liked to get some level of PR ahead of a drop if only for 24-48 hrs...who knows

The video stream at highest quality available:
(exactly as presented - which will include whatever YT use in their compression algorithm).
FWD.

Initial impressions regarding Moz’s voice may be a function of working with a new producer - it’s an interesting interpretation of Moz’s vocals with a glimmering pop sheen. This does not surprise me given Watt’s previous work. Let the debates begin regarding this engineering.

Beyond this, There are lovely instrumental intricacies and dimensions here, and Watt has done a fine job refining the overall tune, which is clearly a lot more than just a Cemetary Gates pastiche.

Can’t believe we have a studio track from Bonfire! Having access to this song feels like a slight tilt back towards the good stuff.

Let’s go Morrissey!

Is that Miley on the female backing vocals? I mean, the listed credits are obviously wrong, unless Boz really did write the lyrics for this one?

Anyway, I really liked the live version, but the production on this sounds oddly stilted, and the guitars are horribly thin and trebly. But maybe it's just the low quality of the initial stream, and the final CD album master will sound much slicker.

So we may have a UK deal 🤔
well my wife, who worked for Interscope (until covid), said Universal Music Group is a number of record companies under the universal umbrella One of them is Capital records. She seems to think it's a good bit of marketing if they drop one this month and one next and a physical release of a song in Jan. Then the LP in February.
I also note 23/02/23 is the date being touted, at least on a few blog M-related stories. I am dead happy as going by M's mutterings on stage I thought the LP was taken off the rota

well my wife, who worked for Interscope (until covid), said Universal Music Group is a number of record companies under the universal umbrella One of them is Capital records. She seems to think it's a good bit of marketing if they drop one this month and one next and a physical release of a song in Jan. Then the LP in February.
I also note 23/02/23 is the date being touted, at least on a few blog M-related stories. I am dead happy as going by M's mutterings on stage I thought the LP was taken off the rota
Fingers crossed 🤞🏻

Probably a good idea to remember not to conflate 'singles' with 'instant grats' - the previous releases all utilised 'instant grats' and were not related to physical products & were planned that way.
FWD.

Now we need some information connecting this track to an upcoming album - then I can rule out a nightmare scenario in which Capitol only releases a selection of tracks from the record.

I’m clearly traumatised by this whole rollout.

Sam posted an instagram story 2 hours ago that shows Prince speaking about how record companies are now obsolete with regards to releasing music. Could this new release be a DIY job?

Back
Top Bottom