Peter Hook - All Things Hooky

Redacted

Perfectly Satisfied & Living Rent Free
A thread to discuss all things Hooky; all his bands, projects, gigs, sightings, why he hates Bernard and thinks Gillian shagged her way into New Order, etc.
Hate to start it with bad news, but :(
Get well soon ❤️

370469491_10160093490736275_6371637763222818192_n.jpg

Might just be my favorite ever bass player. His style is inimitable, unique and he has an amazing sense of both pitch black darkness and groove. Seems like a great guy as well.

One of my favourite songs , What do want from me in 97 and again last year, lovely thing about these videos are that the drummer and guitarist played in Monaco and still play with him today. The additional bass player on the recent video is an American ex Marine and he learnt the entire set in just 2 weeks.

Monaco records r fantastic, i tend to listen to those and electric 2nd and 3rd more than some NO ones and I like NO lot more than JD :guitar:

More New Order than Peter Hook related but stumbled upon this tonight, I'd seen Joy Division twice supporting Buzzcocks but this was my first New Order gig, just watching this performance gives me goose pimples, they only played about 9 or 10 songs but I was hooked forever from this night, I'm seeing them at the O2 later this month which is 42 years later!

I love this video, thank you for posting it @Surface. I just found it a few weeks ago myself, I can't even imagine the thrill of being there!

Covid in August, seriously ?
It‘s prolific right now in Manchester. Many people not testing, so expect it to get a hell of a lot worse. The NHS has been quietly contingency planning for winter, but this has hit them much sooner than predicted. BA.2.86 is the Omicron variant on the rise. Its a mutation, with hospitalisation rates in the elderly worryingly high. Health Officials are talking down concerns, however their actions, such as bringing forward vaccinations in elderly care settings, and vaccinating NHS staff against winter flu early, give a different message. “Flying Blind” is a frequent off-the-record commentary to journalists. Which given that we no longer have to test or notify is understandable.

Back to Hooky. He lived near me in the 80’s, when I still lived with my parents. He moved a lot, as I recall, though never that far, presumably down to his kids schooling. When I moved out, I had a flat a stones throw away from where New Order rehearsed for albums and tours. It’s used in the Perfect Kiss video by Jonathon Demme. The area is very different now, with the graveyard and it’s inhabitants gone, a large Tesco built, but the studio remains, with many bands now using it to record.

One of my favourite songs , What do want from me in 97 and again last year, lovely thing about these videos are that the drummer and guitarist played in Monaco and still play with him today. The additional bass player on the recent video is an American ex Marine and he learnt the entire set in just 2 weeks.

England in the mid to late 90's was mental. The epicenter of the world. God I miss those days.

Massive New Order fan here, so thanks.

Monaco were great, although David Potts' contribution to that shouldn't be understated. What do you want from me? has to be on any definitive 1990s soundtrack for my money.

I've heard it said that New Order were at their best when they were not together and doing other things. Electronic speaks for itself and the Other Two were under-rated, made some great music on both their albums.

I don't know what's better about this performance - the shorts, how wasted Bernard is, or how aggressive he gets about the song not being fast enough even though it's already going 200x faster than it ought to.

I don't know what's better about this performance - the shorts, how wasted Bernard is, or how aggressive he gets about the song not being fast enough even though it's already going 200x faster than it ought to.

I LOVE the videos from this session. and Bernard's anger, which could actually be pretty hot if he wasn't wearing those George Michael WHAM shorts. I think it's on Blue Monday when he rips off his headphone and sings " I still find it so hard to stay in tune with you, but I'm sure you will tell me what the f*** I should do" :ROFLMAO:

I LOVE the videos from this session. and Bernard's anger, which could actually be pretty hot if he wasn't wearing those George Michael WHAM shorts. I think it's on Blue Monday when he rips off his headphone and sings " I still find it so hard to stay in tune with you, but I'm sure you will tell me what the f*** I should do" :ROFLMAO:

That's pretty awesome if he made it up on the spot. :lbf:

Tags
peter hook
Back
Top Bottom