People leaving shows because "Meat Is Murder" video?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1074
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1074

The number of people claiming to have left the show (on here and Twitter) because of this is quite staggering. Are your sensibilities really that much more important than your pocketbook? I don't quite understand how stupid and frangible you have to be to pay nearly $100 a ticket (or more) only to walk out of the show because you can't handle the video.

Someone please explain to me what exactly happens in your brain that makes you up and say "f*** it, I just can't enjoy myself for the rest of the show. Time to go home and get on the internet."

Absolutely.
I may even go so far as to suggest the outrageous technique of turning your head to look away for the duration of the video.

I can't watch it. He's had that video playing for too long now. I turned away during the song but leaving is a bit extreme.

Someone please explain to me what exactly happens in your brain that makes you up and say "f*** it, I just can't enjoy myself for the rest of the show. Time to go home and get on the internet."

or comfort eating?

tumblr_lvo8hoo6Vu1r6aoq4o1_500.gif

I understand and agree why Morrissey or in fact anyone wants to end animal cruelty but tell me this what do I feed my puppy?

If it grosses you out, then just look at the band - not the backdrop.
Then again, if you are so offended by seeing animals killed, maybe you shouldn't be a hypocrite and eat meat in the first place?

Yes, leaving does seem a bit short-sighted.

Here is a question... does anybody actually WATCH them, or does everyone do some variation of diverting their line of sight/attention? I can't watch them, so I focus like intently on Matt's drumming, which is amazing.

I will say that saw a number of very small children at the Nashville show. Must have been some awkward conversations over the post-show happy meals with their parents.

The number of people claiming to have left the show (on here and Twitter) because of this is quite staggering. Are your sensibilities really that much more important than your pocketbook? I don't quite understand how stupid and frangible you have to be to pay nearly $100 a ticket (or more) only to walk out of the show because you can't handle the video.

Especially when you consider he's been playing the video since he was touring in 2012! I saw Morrissey here in Oz Dec 2012 and no one gave a shit about the video and that's saying a lot for Australians. Plus the video is so old and blurry. It's not like it's in HD, or 3D for that matter. Some of these morons are saying they are never going to see him again because of it.

What a bunch of delicate flowers!

Last edited:
Especially when you consider he's been playing the video since he was touring in 2012! I saw Morrissey here in Oz Dec 2012 and no one gave a shit about the video and that's saying a lot for Australians. Plus the video is so old and blurry. It's not like it's in HD, or 3D for that matter. Some of these morons are saying they are never going to see him again because of it.

What a bunch of delicate flowers!

The video on this new tour ('From Farm To Fridge') is significantly higher resolution, in comparison with previous tours. There is no mistaking now exactly what is being done, and to who. The effect is considerably more brutal. I guess that's the point. I looked away for most of it (from around the point the little fluffy chicks appeared!) Or one could do what the Desperate LA Housewife next to me at the Sports Arena did ~ yell 'SKIP IT!...SKIP IT!' for about 30 seconds, before popping out to get another couple of mojitos. She came back though. Worse luck :rolleyes:

I understand and agree why Morrissey or in fact anyone wants to end animal cruelty but tell me this what do I feed my puppy?

There is such a thing as vegan dog food, and dogs can thrive on a diet free of animal products.

With cats it's more difficult, but from what I gather dogs suffer no risk to their health if they don't eat meat but otherwise have a balanced diet.

If folks are really so upset by the Meat is Murder video (and this is not some social media "campaign" instigated by a few trolls), then I'd say that the song is working. Morrissey is not an entertainer - he's often a witness for unpleasant or uncomfortable truths.

Folks should ask themselves why they can't even be in the same room with a video, and why it ruins their entire evening. They should then thank the gods that they still have a beating heart.

If folks are really so upset by the Meat is Murder video (and this is not some social media "campaign" instigated by a few trolls), then I'd say that the song is working. Morrissey is not an entertainer - he's often a witness for unpleasant or uncomfortable truths.

Folks should ask themselves why they can't even be in the same room with a video, and why it ruins their entire evening. They should then thank the gods that they still have a beating heart.

His passport would disagree

If folks are really so upset by the Meat is Murder video (and this is not some social media "campaign" instigated by a few trolls), then I'd say that the song is working.

I don't believe for a second that people are leaving the shows. You can say whatever you want on the social media, it doesn't mean anything. However, if true, I'd agree that it's working. :)

His passport would disagree

Let's just say that he's an inadvertent entertainer. When there's a category for "professional provocateur" or "sh*t-stirrer", he'll get on that list.

For many years my passport read "popular singer." If only that were the case. :rolleyes:

I'm afraid not Anaesthine.
Your devotion to Moz is sweet but his politics are so infantile and poorly thought out he could never qualify as any sort of provocateur.
To all sane and grounded fans he is a singer and a bloody good one.
Is that not enough for you?
Inadvertant entertainer!? How on earth do you reach that conclusion?
To my memory he became famous as the crooner for the pop combo The Smiths.

:popcorn:

Then again, if you are so offended by seeing animals killed, maybe you shouldn't be a hypocrite and eat meat in the first place?

I like sitting on my couch, but I don't necessarily want to visit the factory that makes it.

I'm afraid not Anaesthine.
Your devotion to Moz is sweet but his politics are so infantile and poorly thought out he could never qualify as any sort of provocateur.
To all sane and grounded fans he is a singer and a bloody good one.
Is that not enough for you?
Inadvertant entertainer!? How on earth do you reach that conclusion?
To my memory he became famous as the crooner for the pop combo The Smiths.

I'm not "devoted" to Morrissey. He is my favorite singer. I acknowledge his considerable shortcomings whenever he makes them public (which is fairly often these days), and I agree that his politics are often cringeworthy (or at least very poorly articulated). That said, I do admire the way such an obviously compromised personality has navigated the perilous terrain of cult deification. It's fascinating.

As for being a provocateur: I've said it before - he's always bent folks out of shape. I know people who attended the Smiths' very first stateside show just to spit on Morrissey (although they ended up falling for him, so there you go). He rubs people the wrong way and he revels in it. He makes statements that are provocative and offensive, and he doesn't care who gets hurt.

My mind always goes back to that clip from "Importance" where a fan tells Morrissey that he's made many people very happy, to which he answers "I didn't mean to." It's very funny, and it rings kinda true. He's inadvertently entertaining. He's said it often enough: he seeks to elicit an audience reaction - it doesn't have to be a positive one.

He's a performance artist and a great crooner with a knife edge. That is enough.

Last edited:
Let's just say that he's an inadvertent entertainer. When there's a category for "professional provocateur" or "sh*t-stirrer", he'll get on that list.

For many years my passport read "popular singer." If only that were the case. :rolleyes:

Classifying Morrissey is all in the eyes of the beholder. There are plenty of folks attending shows strictly to be entertained by his music.

Back
Top Bottom