Old Trafford

half a person

My mum just phoned me to say that they played 'Munich Air Disaster 1958' at half time at Old Trafford (she's there) so I thought you might like to know ;)

My mum just phoned me to say that they played 'Munich Air Disaster 1958' at half time at Old Trafford (she's there) so I thought you might like to know ;)

awww, thats so sad but sweet :)

Read the code of conduct for the forums please, expletives are frowned upon....

How comes the Munich Air Disaster is the only English related Sports disaster to get any form of recognition? It was a sad occasion for football when the air disaster took place, but I feel Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire never get any rememberance of the sort that Munich gets. It bugs me a little.

How comes the Munich Air Disaster is the only English related Sports disaster to get any form of recognition? It was a sad occasion for football when the air disaster took place, but I feel Hillsborough, Heysel and the Bradford fire never get any rememberance of the sort that Munich gets. It bugs me a little.

Good point with probably a simple answer.
At Munich it was the players that died, where as Heysel, Bradford and Hillsborough it was the fans.
Since when has anyone ever given a shit about the fans? We are just turnstile fodder.

Jukebox Jury (listening to City on the radio as he types!)

I'm tempted to go into my Hillsborough rant, but in order not to offend people I'll stay quiet....

I'm tempted to go into my Hillsborough rant, but in order not to offend people I'll stay quiet....

Mike
PM me your rant, I would be interested to read it!
Obviously Forest were the opponents that day so you may have a view from that point.
Or it may be the view of that awful daily newspaper???

Jukebox Jury

I believe the reason for the low key rememberance of Hillsborough,Heysel etc. is the way the gutter press tended to lay blame at the supporters feet and therefore sweeping away the loss of lives and loss whilst deflecting away from the real culprits.

I believe the reason for the low key rememberance of Hillsborough,Heysel etc. is the way the gutter press tended to lay blame at the supporters feet and therefore sweeping away the loss of lives and loss whilst deflecting away from the real culprits.

I'm not a Liverpool, Juventus, Bradford City or Manchester United fan, but I believe the disasters these clubs suffered should be widely remembered. Heysel, Hillsborough and the Bradford City Fire highlighted the fundamental flaws in safety of stadiums; it could have been another clubs supporters involved in these terrible tragedies.

Let’s not take this topic off track, it’s a sad day when anyone is involved in a disaster and the Busby Babes, like the supporters of Bradford City, Liverpool and Juventus should always be remembered instead of forgotten or worse; mocked.

I dont think the others are forgotten about - certainly not in Liverpool, Bradford or Turin. They just dont have the glamour surrounding them - as said in other posts, always a cloud hangs over them from how the media portrayed each disaster.
Where as The Busby Babes are the team that never grew old and have remained in the mystic of sporting history.
50th anniversary next year - media overload to be expected.

Jukebox Jury

I know these disasters are remembered by those who experienced them, had relatives who suffered and those connected with the particular cities and clubs, but on a wider scale these disasters aren’t recognised on the whole. There is no minute silence up and down the country on or around the anniversaries of these disasters and Heysel isn’t given a minute’s silence in Europe, which I feel is wrong, Heysel shed light on the scale of hooliganism in football both in Britain and in Europe. Hillsborough and the Bradford Fire highlighted the shocking conditions most British stadiums were kept in and this brought about change to safety regulations and practises.

I know you aren’t, I’m not talking about you directly, but football fans who bait one another about the disasters, sections of Leeds, Manchester City, Liverpool and other clubs all mock Manchester United’s Munich disaster and the same is done to Liverpool about Heysel or Hillsborough. It really does highlight the lack of compassion in football.

I will stop commenting in this particular topic as I am taking it away from the Munich disaster.

Rest in peace; Busby Babes.

Yes I can think of a anti-Bradford city chant that my brother sings all the time. I won't repeat it on here. I have been known to sing it when I'm drunk though :rolleyes:

Totally agree with you Tomorrow.
A mate of mine went to watch Genoa v Juventus the other month and said the Genoa fans were singing about Heysel. Knobs.

Thing is, about remembering and minute silences etc, in the UK we have had so many disasters - train crashes (lots of them!), oil rigs blowing up, the ferry in Zeebrugge, Aberfan slag heap, mining disasters, plane crashes (Lockerbie, Manchester etc), the boat full of models etc sinking on the Thames - also football disasters at Bolton and Ibrox (twice).
There'd be a minute silence some where every week. Maybe there should.
As I said, Munich has been glamourised and mythologised (wrongly or rightly) and fans want to remember that. I think that is the difference. Reletives of those who died in Munich and the survivors probably dread each anniversary where as the fans see it as a tribute to what could have been - you can imagine a grandad telling his grandchildren how great the Babes were etc. Where as the others captured our imaginations for a short while until something else is big in the news and replaces it. Sadly, unless you are directly involved in any of the other tragedies I've listed, there is no emotional attachment to it for us.
They tend to get media coverage for big anniversaries - Aberfan was 40 years ago last year and was big in the news. Hillsborough is two years away from twentieth which is frightening. I was at Blackburn v City that day, coming home listening to the radio as the full horror unfolded......

Jukebox Jury

If the country can find a minutes silence for George Best then they should be able to fit a minutes silence for Hillsborough and the Bradford Fire, Burden Park disaster, what’s an extra minute going to cost fans, players and clubs each year? Scotland should have a minute silence every year for their football related disasters. I’m not saying have a minute silences for every single football related death, but these disasters should bring the football community closer and a full minutes silence once a year should be held on or around the date of the disasters, it should be a time for reflection to think about family, friends and the importance of life. Football fans should observe the minutes silence to pay their respects and be grateful they are still alive and weren’t part of these horrific incidents. I don’t think it’s too much to ask for a minutes silence around the football stadiums in the country, as for the Busby babes, they would have been a great football team, but there will forever always be what if’s with any disaster, anyhoo that’s my opinion on the matter.

Back
Top Bottom