NYC:where to go on the days off(nightlife,sightseeing etc)?

sistasheila

tjekket
the obvious one: empire state, coney island- will also check out the amateur night at the apollo theatre in harlem that happens every wednesday (which is supposed to be excellent-i heard) some records stores,
check out the boroughs of chelsea, soho chinatown ..take the staten island ferry..maybe visit a church in harlem cant really remember when i attend a church the last time but i do remember seiing a gospelchoir which came alll the way from the south of the USA as a child which made an impact on me back then..even if had my problems with the church as a instituation in itself and everything associated but i am not a atheist either... will probably be the only white person there but I would love to share that energy that comes through. there..
the free guided tour that starts at the times square visitors center
some flea markets

maybe the queens boulevard(saw a documentary on it, every mile an "new country" from india to croatia to XXX)

but I am physical restricted anyway at the moment so I will see what is possible...

i left out the museum becaue its too expensive and too time consuming
so what else is there to see?..
did i miss out anything which is worth to see...?sightseiing , nice restaurants..
oh and the nightlife? somenice bars? nothing to hipsterish please

CHRISTOPHER STREET of course such a shame that the gay pride arent that political any more at least not in my homecountry that

Last edited:
69250266_8c1f5c979c.jpg

Kewpie strikes again! Obviously, a question about what to do when visiting NYC should be lumped together with one about where to meet before the show.

the obvious one: empire state, coney island- will also check out the amateur night at the apollo theatre in harlem that happens every wednesday (which is supposed to be excellent-i heard) some records stores,
check out the boroughs of chelsea, soho chinatown ..take the staten island ferry..maybe visit a church in harlem cant really remember when i attend a church the last time but i do remember seiing a gospelchoir which came alll the way from the south of the USA as a child which made an impact on me back then..even if had my problems with the church as a instituation in itself and everything associated but i am not a atheist either... will probably be the only white person there but I would love to share that energy that comes through. there..
the free guided tour that starts at the times square visitors center
some flea markets

maybe the queens boulevard(saw a documentary on it, every mile an "new country" from india to croatia to XXX)

but I am physical restricted anyway at the moment so I will see what is possible...

i left out the museum becaue its too expensive and too time consuming
so what else is there to see?..
did i miss out anything which is worth to see...?sightseiing , nice restaurants..
oh and the nightlife? somenice bars? nothing to hipsterish please

Queens Boulevard??? a big hassle and you are going to stand on a corner on a rundown street asking how the hell did they make a documentary about this boring street...There's nothing to see. In my opinion.

you may want to check out the Village or East Village.

It's off-season at Coney Island...but it still may be nice. the way the weather has been (warm, thanks global warming...I mean it. thanks), it may be still very busy.

the Metropolitan Museum of Art is suggested donation i believe...maybe only on certain nights. which means you give a buck if you want.

take a walk in Central Park.

Governor's Island is now opened to tourists on weekends. i need to check that out someday.

Farmers Market...Union Square...forget which days they operate....wednesdays for sure

Washington Square park (in the Village, NYU area)...for some people watching. sometimes it's exciting with bands playing and crazy people.

Edit: concerning the Metropolitan Museum of Art:

Metropolitan Museum of Art

82nd St. and Fifth Avenue
Tel: 212-879-5500

Official website:www.metmuseum.org

Hours:
Sun, Tues-Thur 9:30am-5:15pm
Fri & Sat 9:30am-8:45pm

One of the world's greatest and largest museums, the Metropolitan features many fascinating permanent exhibits. Museum admission: pay what you wish (suggested contribution is $20 for adults, $10 for students and $15 for senior citizens); children under 12 free.

Last edited:
One of the world's greatest and largest museums, the Metropolitan features many fascinating permanent exhibits. Museum admission: pay what you wish (suggested contribution is $20 for adults, $10 for students and $15 for senior citizens); children under 12 free.

That's a pretty steep suggestion. :eek: Admittedly, it's one of the finest museum's I've ever been to.

Go to Chinatown and by a cheap watch and handbag. :D

The WTC site isn't terribly interesting in of itself, just a big ditch with construction workers in it. But obviously there is A LOT of significance to it, of course, not as much if you aren't American..

I saw Fire Island on a dvd about visiting NY and it looks fab but it gave no details how to get there. Escape the hustle & bustle on a day off would be nice but not sure I have enough time to research it ....
Also, have to go to MoMA but I believe all the Warhol & Lichtenstein which I REALLY wanted to see is in bloody London at the moment. Typical!

a. Museum of Modern Art (friday evenings are free but you may be seeing Moz then).
b. People watch in Central Park
c. Bagels at Essabagel - I believe it's on 3rd Ave at 51st.

dont go to the spotted pig only d bags go there.

go to st. dymphnas on st marks between 1st and A.

If you have time:

Like donuts? Go here:
The Doughnut Plant
379 Grand St
New York, NY 10002
Phone: (212) 505-3700

Like tasty dumplings and other chinese eats? Go here:
Dumpling House
118 Eldridge St
New York, NY 10002-4418
Phone: (212) 625-8008

Like Gelato? Go here:
Il Laboratorio del Gelato
95 Orchard St.
New York, NY
Phone: (212) 343-9922

Or you can have a nice dinner at 1 of Mario Batali's joints:
OTTO
One Fifth Avenue
NYC, NY 10003
T 212 995-9559
F 212 995-9052

Enjoy!

If you have time:

Like donuts? Go here:
The Doughnut Plant
379 Grand St
New York, NY 10002
Phone: (212) 505-3700

Like tasty dumplings and other chinese eats? Go here:
Dumpling House
118 Eldridge St
New York, NY 10002-4418
Phone: (212) 625-8008

Like Gelato? Go here:
Il Laboratorio del Gelato
95 Orchard St.
New York, NY
Phone: (212) 343-9922

Or you can have a nice dinner at 1 of Mario Batali's joints:
OTTO
One Fifth Avenue
NYC, NY 10003
T 212 995-9559
F 212 995-9052

Enjoy!

i agree il laboratorio is the best gelato and ice cream ive ever had in my whole life.
they have a concession inside the new wholefoods on houston.

donut plant donuts can also be had from the bakeshop at dean and delucas

for vegetarians please go to angelicas kitchen on 12th street . thats my faves. i eat there alot.

if you have a lot of money and wanna eat raw food go to pure food and wine in union square.

FOR THE SERIOUS BARGAIN SHOPPER: CENTURY 21!!
im talking about maison margiela for like 60 percent off!! simply amazing. great plus size and petites and mens section and separate annex for the shoes!
go when they open shop and do your thing and peace out before the hordes of italian and spanish tourists with spending power show up cos them homies , THEY WILL 86 a blind and hobbling dwarf for a d and g t shirt from 4 seasons ago. cha ching!

they have an unbelievable lingerie dept. i mean really really really great.

after you do your shoppings you can cross the street and gape at the great big crater alongside the germans and japanese.

also go to tompkins sqaure park its still got plenty of character.
pop into the dog run and check out the big community shovel that everyone share to scoop up their dog poop!!
have fun.
and enjoy the shows!

yes thanks for the tips...

btw someone mentioned going knicks game on non-moz evening.. how did you get tickets / how expensive were they.. quite fancy doing that if not too expensive..

yes thanks for the tips...

btw someone mentioned going knicks game on non-moz evening.. how did you get tickets / how expensive were they.. quite fancy doing that if not too expensive..

That was me. You can buy it through Ticketmaster and pick up the ticket at the box-office at the night.
I just checked for you and the cheapest ticket available is about $ 350,-! :eek: Mine was about $ 80,- of $ 90,-.
I'm thinking about selling my ticket though, because I might want to go to the Dave Gahan signing session. That's at 6 and I think there might be a long queue there and I may not make it to MSG in time. If you're interested, I'll sell it for a lot less than I paid! Only problem might be the picking up because you have to show ID and the creditcard that was used, same as Moz-tickets basically... Just let me know if you're interested.

hmm thanks for the offer.. but i'm with two friends so would really need 3 tickets ... thought they might be quite expensive ..... hope the lines aren't too busy and you can manage to do both!!

Back
Top Bottom