Never complain, never explain?

Mimi Ramone

Call me too far gone to the point of no return
Today I stumbled upon something: I accidentally read in an news article that "Never complain, never explain" is a public relations strategy that has been become particularly associated with the British royal family, whereas I just knew it as Morrissey's motto (he said it at the concert I was for example and that he lives by it). I recall that it was mentioned on here from other users too, as his motto. I was confused to read that it is first and foremost associated with the Royal Family. I'm obviously not British so can somebody explain if the Royal Family is indeed the first thing that comes to mind if somebody uses this phrase or if it's also used in other contexts. I mean, if it is primarily associated with the Royals, then why does Morrissey use it and nobody called him out for that, do I remember it wrong or did he obviously meant it as a joke? I always thought it was sincere, since he indeed seems to live by it, lol.

He actually complains quite a lot, though, doesn’t he?

No idea about the royals.

Apparently both versions exist?

"Never complain, never explain" allegedly originated with Disraeli and is, as suggested above by @Mimi Ramone, a philosophy much admired by the royals, from Victoria onwards. And also apparently by Simon Le Bon.

"Never apologise, never explain" seems a bit vaguer in its origins. I suspect the two have become a bit confused / conflated over the decades.

As @Gregor Samsa says, it's the second one that seems much more appropriate for Morrissey, given how much he enjoys complaining.

Today I stumbled upon something: I accidentally read in an news article that "Never complain, never explain" is a public relations strategy that has been become particularly associated with the British royal family, whereas I just knew it as Morrissey's motto (he said it at the concert I was for example and that he lives by it). I recall that it was mentioned on here from other users too, as his motto. I was confused to read that it is first and foremost associated with the Royal Family. I'm obviously not British so can somebody explain if the Royal Family is indeed the first thing that comes to mind if somebody uses this phrase or if it's also used in other contexts. I mean, if it is primarily associated with the Royals, then why does Morrissey use it and nobody called him out for that, do I remember it wrong or did he obviously meant it as a joke? I always thought it was sincere, since he indeed seems to live by it, lol.

Yes, I heard that about the UK royal family many years ago - that the PR approach could be summed up as ‘never complain, never explain’, particularly in connection to Queen Elizabeth 2. It seemed to work quite well for them especially I suppose in the years of ‘deference’ - but much less so now in a much less deferential age and 24 rolling news and social media etc I never heard it in connection to Morrissey though, and certainly it couldn’t really be said that he never complains! Maybe he was joking and making an oblique reference to the royals - or maybe he did say ‘Never apologise, never explain’ which is more his style really.

Back
Top Bottom