Morrissey Tour Posters

mozmic_dancer

One of the Good Guys
The Main board featured a gig poster from this tour that I thought was worth checking out, and then I was pleasantly surprized to see a host of others, apparently from different artists, from this tour as well.

The link below will take you to a series of other posters from this tour as well as some past ones:

http://www.gigposters.com/bandposters/1550/1_Morrissey.html

The poster from the Columbus show really blew my mind! Someone named jumpeduppantrygirl described it in the tour reviews and I got to see it here.

Those are some great posters :thumb:
Thanks for the heads up!

Ain't it a hoot?

I'm sorry, but I love this. I must display this here:

These are available for purchase, just so you know, however the website doesn't deal with the actual transactions; you deal with the artist directly.

Those are amazing! I especially love the Toulouse Lautrec-inspired one. :guitar:

Ain't it a hoot?

I'm sorry, but I love this. I must display this here:

These are available for purchase, just so you know, however the website doesn't deal with the actual transactions; you deal with the artist directly.

How???
Does it work on a PM type of thing?
I can't wrap my mind around this site.

How???
Does it work on a PM type of thing?
I can't wrap my mind around this site.

Most of the artists posted seem to have their own website where they do business. The web address appears just above the gig poster if you hit the More button near the name. Go to their Homepage and look for the poster you want. It will either be listed for sale or you would need to leave a PM.

The poster I displayed was created by a studio called tinylittlehorse, out of Dublin! I found the poster at their site under News. It is not for sale, at least not yet, but I've left a message and will find out what they say.

The Main board featured a gig poster from this tour that I thought was worth checking out, and then I was pleasantly surprized to see a host of others, apparently from different artists, from this tour as well.

The link below will take you to a series of other posters from this tour as well as some past ones:

http://www.gigposters.com/bandposters/1550/1_Morrissey.html

The poster from the Columbus show really blew my mind! Someone named jumpeduppantrygirl described it in the tour reviews and I got to see it here.

exsqueeze my ignorance, but i have a question: is there such a thing (on this tour or the past few tours) as an "official" poster? or are all of them done by local artists?

There's a shop in Manchester that has some of these. These are a few:
TN_92003.JPG

TN_88321.JPG

TN_86027.JPG

TN_61861.JPG

TN_813.JPG

exsqueeze my ignorance, but i have a question: is there such a thing (on this tour or the past few tours) as an "official" poster? or are all of them done by local artists?

The tour company commissions these artists to make these posters, so technically, they are "official." How the tour company knows about these folks is uncertain. Could be word of mouth but more likely, they all are affiliated with some sort of club organization and they are approached.

They are not neccesarily "local", either. The studio who did the gig poster for the Ohio show, tinylittlehorse, come out of Dublin, Ireland! However, when they do a limited run and have extra, they might sell them. These guys apparently print them themselves if it's a one or two color silkscreen job.

The artist that did the poster on the Main page has been doing gig posters for years. He currently does more fine art with political messages, however he created the recent gig poster for Morrissey because he is also a Morrissey fan!

I feel that too...they look kind of...tacky!

Yeah like there was some sort of competition in the newspaper and a bunch of art students got out their pencil sets. They are so UnMorrissey like I am surprised they are permitted for use but then again Moz has stepped back from his graphic art pedestal much to my disapproval :(

Yeah like there was some sort of competition in the newspaper and a bunch of art students got out their pencil sets. They are so UnMorrissey like I am surprised they are permitted for use but then again Moz has stepped back from his graphic art pedestal much to my disapproval :(

My theory is that Moz doesn't need to like or understand or even approve every promotion made. What he may approve is the tradition and history of this artistic genre.

Morrissey, being a pop historian, knows the background behind these promotional gig posters; their inceptions in the early 60s for rock shows, the San Francisco psychedelic "happenings", the xeroxed flyers in the punk 70s, and now, silkscreen and digitial. Moz is very "old school" when it comes to tradition, and artists' posters of this nature follows a certain tradition.

They appear crude because they are; most of these artists have little or no formal art/graphic background. That's really the appeal. If anything, they have print production knowledge and access to a silkscreen and ink, which is still the most popular way to create small limited runs.

The idea behind these posters is that it is not all about Morrissey, or the venue, but how the artist gets your attention.

Last edited:
that shop in manchester you mentioned.... is it vinyl revival?
ta.
x

Nope. The shop in question sells all that sorta stuff, but it is all very, very expensive. Next time I'm in I'll get the name and get back to you on that one.

Back
Top Bottom