Morrissey on Now Music Compilations

MozzaBedfordSpur

Since Morrissey became a solo artist, his first 3 singles apeared on the Now That's What I Call Music compilations:

Now 11 - Suedehead (1988)
Now 12 - Everyday is like Sunday (1988)
Now 14 - Last of the famous International Playboys (1989)

It staggers me that it has been over 20-years since Mozza had a hit compiled on this series.

What gems do you believe should of at least been compiled on this series?

Mine are:-

Interesting Drug (1989), November Spawned a Monster (1990), You're the one for me fatty (1992), The more you ignore me the closer I get (1994), Irish Blood, English Heart (2004), First of the gang to die (2004), You Have Killed Me (2006) I'm throwing my arms around Paris (2009)

As you can see, many classic songs that could of complemented the Now series.

What are you're thoughts on Mozza not being featured on Now since 1989?

Title always made me puke, 'Now that's what I call Music 1456' :sick:
whoever this I guy is, his taste in music is crap and I couldn't care what he calls music :eek:

I wouldn't be too harsh on him, The Smiths was sometimes compiled and inside he record sleeve of Now 2, he referred to The Smiths "Charming men hailing from Manchester."

Heaven knows I'm miserable now :lbf:

The "Now" comp CDs are released through EMI as are Moz's early solo releases which is why he doesn't feature anymore I would think.
Shame really - its a nice way for kids to be introduced to a classic artist through a pop compilation....

I used to like the "Now" compilations in my younger days, but grew out of them after No 28 or something.. But in regards to Moz appearing on compilations, i've found his more recent stuff has been making an appearance on the "Festival" and "Bands" compilations - "Irish Blood", "First of the Gang" and "You Have Killed Me"...

Since Morrissey became a solo artist, his first 3 singles apeared on the Now That's What I Call Music compilations:

Now 11 - Suedehead (1988)
Now 12 - Everyday is like Sunday (1988)
Now 14 - Last of the famous International Playboys (1989)

It staggers me that it has been over 20-years since Mozza had a hit compiled on this series.

What gems do you believe should of at least been compiled on this series?

Mine are:-
Interesting Drug (1989), November Spawned a Monster (1990), You're the one for me fatty (1992), The more you ignore me the closer I get (1994), Irish Blood, English Heart (2004), First of the gang to die (2004), You Have Killed Me (2006) I'm throwing my arms around Paris (2009)
As you can see, many classic songs that could of complemented the Now series.
What are you're thoughts on Mozza not being featured on Now since 1989?

There's a simple reason why Moz songs don't generally appear on these. They're nowhere near successful enough in terms of sales or radio airplay. The Now compilations come out every 6 months or so and contain about 30-40 songs, so can only really justify the most successful 7-10 songs from any given month.
The first three Moz singles did indeed fall into this category but none of the others have, with the possible exception of FOTGTD. A good case could have been made for its inclusion (top 40 for at least 5 weeks).
Most of the others you mention lasted no longer than 2 or 3 weeks max so there's no way the Now compilers could justify including them...

Now shove it up your arse! I hate these complitaions there for mr and miss ordinary that have a little hifi that gets used now and again they have no favourite taste in music! and they brought it because crazy frog is on there or the lastest number one annoying song! because everyone eles has got it!
but the early ones had good 80s tracks on but its all yak now!:crazy:

I have to say I am NOT a fan of the Now...compilations- without sounding like a musical snob, the very fact that they generally only contain the MOST popular, mainstream music pisses me off a bit as these tracks (a vast proportion of them stunningly undemanding musically) are heard constantly anyway and, to be fair, usually don't need much more exposure. Nevertheless I do think that more Morrissey songs should be/should have been included on some of the compilations- 'Paris' would be good, along with 'FOTGTD'.

These comps are for kids! Didn't you ever get introduced to something brilliant hidden in the mainstream when you were young? So the parents buy it cos they think their little ones want "the hits" and the kids hear a bit of Moz which changes them forever...! (for example)

These comps are for kids! Didn't you ever get introduced to something brilliant hidden in the mainstream when you were young? So the parents buy it cos they think their little ones want "the hits" and the kids hear a bit of Moz which changes them forever...! (for example)
Sounds like a evil genius plan lol.....well i got reminded about the smiths and morrissey by my inde mates, as they were excited about the latest rave tunes on my mix tapes back in the early 90s and necking as much class A as they could, they also played a lot of levelers,smiths/moz/cure/stone roses/rage against the machine/etc and i was like.....yes i love these smiths songs i remember them as a child when i wasnt trying to be all black and breakdancey lol once u hear the smiths its like marmite u love it or hate it!
and i loved it and marmite toooooooooooooo :) :lbf::crazy:

I have a friend that buys each volume. I have no clue who 90% of the artists are on those crappy cds. I wouldn't want to see Moz on that crap.

Back
Top Bottom