Morrissey article/interview in the Pittsburgh Post Gazette

"I survive because the songs are strong, and for no other reason. I have never once relied on a promotional campaign, and even now, I can't imagine what such a feeling must be like."

Oh dear. This is one of the stupidest things he's ever said. Every time an album comes out, there is a promotional campaign whether it's adverts in the music press, on radio stations, posters on walls etc. As for surviving because the songs are strong, his current world nostalgia tour succeeds largely because it he is relying (with very little exception) on very old material. It succeeds because of nostalgia. The reason no-one's interested in making a decent offer is because the new songs are so incredibly weak.

Your post.....That, my friend is the absolute Truth.

Well done.

He's never relied on a promotional campaign? True... because he is usually too busy f***ing them all up. Breaking promises and agreements left and right. He lives to torture record company promo and marketing people. And then he whines about chart positions and sales.

A decent interview. I've had some contact with Scott Mervis of the Post Gazette over the years, he's always seemed fairly rational for a journalist. Interesting to hear the backstories of the two cancellations in my hometown, even if M refuses to accept blame for the second. I chuckled at the "these days I can financially afford to avoid people" quote. Roll on, Pittsburgh.

"I chuckled"

I puked.

He's never relied on a promotional campaign? True... because he is usually too busy f***ing them all up. Breaking promises and agreements left and right. He lives to torture record company promo and marketing people. And then he whines about chart positions and sales.

If it means anything to you, when people enter into contracts with promo and marketing folks, it is assumed these folks know what they are doing. This is why they are hired. They are not hired to be told (by the client) what should be done for a particular client. They should be able to deduce what works best for each individual client after a few conversations. A client should not have to soley direct action, influence action, and personally push the company for any sort of action, for that is self-promotion. Unfortunately, in any venue, it appears that many businesses work hard to sign a client and then retire to the sitting room afterwards, "breaking promises and agreements left and right," while sucking tea and shoving crumpets into their fat-faced mouths. Oh dear. Where are my meds?

If it means anything to you, when people enter into contracts with promo and marketing folks, it is assumed these folks know what they are doing. This is why they are hired. They are not hired to be told (by the client) what should be done for a particular client. They should be able to deduce what works best for each individual client after a few conversations. A client should not have to soley direct action, influence action, and personally push the company for any sort of action, for that is self-promotion. Unfortunately, in any venue, it appears that many businesses work hard to sign a client and then retire to the sitting room afterwards, "breaking promises and agreements left and right," while sucking tea and shoving crumpets into their fat-faced mouths. Oh dear. Where are my meds?

Sounds like the contracts Morrissey has had with various "promo and marketing folks" have been breached, in which case, Morrissey will have successfully sued them for said breaches. After all, it's not as though he isn't litigious. Care to fill us in on the legal action he's instituted against record companies and/or PR representatives?

Back
Top Bottom