Morrissey and the media vs the charts

Maverick

Maverick
It is my humble opinion that Morrissey's output this decade has been as good as - but no better than - the stuff he was releasing in the mid-90's, during his worst ever period in terms of chart placings.

Indeed, i believe the reasoning behind his slump between '94-'97 and indeed his resurgence in the last 5 years is more to do with the fact that the media chose to get behind his comeback with YATQ, and portray him as a "cool, elder statesman" of the music scene. He was given extensive TV & Radio coverage, the like of which he hadn't enjoyed since the 1980's.

The point i am getting at is if Mozzer had released songs like IB,EH, FOTGTD and YHKM in the mid-90's, they would have reached the same positions that the singles he released then did, an if his comeback material had included Boxers, Boy Racer & Sunny that those tracks would have made the top 10.

The quality of the music was not the reason for his comeback - it was the media interpretaion of the man himself.

It is my humble opinion that Morrissey's output this decade has been as good as - but no better than - the stuff he was releasing in the mid-90's, during his worst ever period in terms of chart placings.

Indeed, i believe the reasoning behind his slump between '94-'97 and indeed his resurgence in the last 5 years is more to do with the fact that the media chose to get behind his comeback with YATQ, and portray him as a "cool, elder statesman" of the music scene. He was given extensive TV & Radio coverage, the like of which he hadn't enjoyed since the 1980's.

The point i am getting at is if Mozzer had released songs like IB,EH, FOTGTD and YHKM in the mid-90's, they would have reached the same positions that the singles he released then did, an if his comeback material had included Boxers, Boy Racer & Sunny that those tracks would have made the top 10.

The quality of the music was not the reason for his comeback - it was the media interpretaion of the man himself.

you're right to an extent. especially with stuff like You Have Killed Me. a middling single at best but the joint highest chart position (higher than all Smiths singles).

but songs like Irish Blood and First of the Gang are considered to be among his best singles, see the definitive list below (yes, quelle surprise, I'm quoting frm Houdini's poll!).
it's worth remembering tho that Moz was v popular with Radio 1 in the mid 90's. Dagenham Dave, Alma Matters etc all made their A list...

1) Everyday Is Like Sunday 9,57
2) Suedehead 9,55
3) Now My Heart Is Full (US Only) 9,55
4) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys 9,46
5) November Spawned A Monster 9,08
6) The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get 8,99
7) Irish Blood, English Heart 8,97
8) First Of The Gang To Die 8,96
9) Tomorrow (US only) 8,87
10) Piccadilly Palare 8,83
11) Let Me Kiss You 8,54
12) I Have Forgiven Jesus 8,47
13) Hold On To Your Friends 8,42
14) Sunny 8,41
15) My Love Life 8,39
16) Interesting Drug 8,34
17) We Hate It When Our Friends Become Succesful 8,22
18) Boxers 8,20
19) You Have Killed Me 8,14
20) Sing Your Life 8,01
21) The Boy Racer 7,97
22) Alma Matters 7,95
23) Satan Rejected My Soul 7,86
24) Certain People I Know 7,85
25) Ouija Board, Ouija Board 7,75
26) Our Frank 7,74
27) In The Future When All’s Well 7,66
28) You’re The One For Me Fatty 7,38
29) That’s How People Grow Up 7,37
30) Pregnant For The Last Time 7,35
31) The Youngest Was The Most Loved 7,30
32) Interlude 7,26
33) I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 7,17
34) Redondo Beach 6,93
35) Roy’s Keen 6,85

you're right to an extent. especially with stuff like You Have Killed Me. a middling single at best but the joint highest chart position (higher than all Smiths singles).

but songs like Irish Blood and First of the Gang are considered to be among his best singles, see the definitive list below (yes, quelle surprise, I'm quoting frm Houdini's poll!).
it's worth remembering tho that Moz was v popular with Radio 1 in the mid 90's. Dagenham Dave, Alma Matters etc all made their A list...

1) Everyday Is Like Sunday 9,57
2) Suedehead 9,55
3) Now My Heart Is Full (US Only) 9,55
4) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys 9,46
5) November Spawned A Monster 9,08
6) The More You Ignore Me, The Closer I Get 8,99
7) Irish Blood, English Heart 8,97
8) First Of The Gang To Die 8,96
9) Tomorrow (US only) 8,87
10) Piccadilly Palare 8,83
11) Let Me Kiss You 8,54
12) I Have Forgiven Jesus 8,47
13) Hold On To Your Friends 8,42
14) Sunny 8,41
15) My Love Life 8,39
16) Interesting Drug 8,34
17) We Hate It When Our Friends Become Succesful 8,22
18) Boxers 8,20
19) You Have Killed Me 8,14
20) Sing Your Life 8,01
21) The Boy Racer 7,97
22) Alma Matters 7,95
23) Satan Rejected My Soul 7,86
24) Certain People I Know 7,85
25) Ouija Board, Ouija Board 7,75
26) Our Frank 7,74
27) In The Future When All’s Well 7,66
28) You’re The One For Me Fatty 7,38
29) That’s How People Grow Up 7,37
30) Pregnant For The Last Time 7,35
31) The Youngest Was The Most Loved 7,30
32) Interlude 7,26
33) I Just Want To See The Boy Happy 7,17
34) Redondo Beach 6,93
35) Roy’s Keen 6,85

I totally agree that he has released some amazing singles since 2004 - the 2 you quote in particular ( a superb comeback brace) are up there with his very best. But the point i tried to make was had he released them in (particular) 1997, i believe they would have sank without trace.

Also (and i think many would agree), he has not released many finer songs than Boxers - number 23 in 1995! That song today would easily be top 20 today at worst.

I think if he'd come back with Roys Keen in 2004, it would have made the top 10, to be honest!

And lest we forget, had it not been for the download rules changing, YHKM would have reached number 1!

I totally agree that he has released some amazing singles since 2004 - the 2 you quote in particular ( a superb comeback brace) are up there with his very best. But the point i tried to make was had he released them in (particular) 1997, i believe they would have sank without trace.

Also (and i think many would agree), he has not released many finer songs than Boxers - number 23 in 1995! That song today would easily be top 20 today at worst.

I think if he'd come back with Roys Keen in 2004, it would have made the top 10, to be honest!

And lest we forget, had it not been for the download rules changing, YHKM would have reached number 1!

Err, I kind of generally agree with what you're saying, especially for 2004, when the Moz singles all went top 10 and the album was his biggest selling album ever (Smith or solo) even though us fans only considered it his 8th best. Much of its success was down to massive media interest rather than the quality of the songs (although it was First of the Gang's airplay success that gave the album its chart longevity).

Boxers is a decent song but it came half-way down the list of favourite singles so it's not (generally) a fan favourite.
Also, remember that Moz singles were getting A listed on Radio 1 in 1997, which helped Alma Matters reach the 20 unlike the Southpaw singles.

Err, I kind of generally agree with what you're saying, especially for 2004, when the Moz singles all went top 10 and the album was his biggest selling album ever (Smith or solo) even though us fans only considered it his 8th best. Much of its success was down to massive media interest rather than the quality of the songs (although it was First of the Gang's airplay success that gave the album its chart longevity).

Boxers is a decent song but it came half-way down the list of favourite singles so it's not (generally) a fan favourite.
Also, remember that Moz singles were getting A listed on Radio 1 in 1997, which helped Alma Matters reach the 20 unlike the Southpaw singles.

One thing i find very interesting about that poll is that the top 2 are his first 2 singles, and indeed 4 of the top 5 are from his first 6 singles.

I think that says more that his fanbase are unwilling to let go of the past - clinging to an era that is long gone and not embracing the new material he has released since.

Also, there are several notable exceptions form that list - where is Dagenham Dave? Or the last 2 singles for that matter? All You Need Is Me is up there with the finest of his output.

But i digress - it'll be interesting to see where "Paris" charts - top 10 could be a struggle, as the media seem to be leaving him behind again, to a large extent.

Back
Top Bottom