Morrissey and Kristeen Young

The Seeker of Good Songs

The main board said that Morrissey was at the Girl in a Coma show with his band and Kristeen Young.

He seems to be associating much more with her than he has any other opening act he has had.
There were stories from other openers that they were instructed not even to look at Morrissey back stage, or make eye contact or something.
Sounds doubtful but exaggerates the point that he doesn't associate with the openers much if at all.

What makes Kristeen different that he associates with her?

I'm not knocking her one way or the other just curious as to why he would have a relationship with her.

What makes Kristeen different that he associates with her?

I'm not knocking her one way or the other just curious as to why he would have a relationship with her.

I have wondered this very same thing ,
she appears to have become a fixture in his existence lately .
what gives ?

Kristeen Young = Tony Visconti's girlfriend, so she might be part of the package deal. ;)
Sometimes I feel that Moz has been touring so much lately just to promote KY. :rolleyes:
No but seriously, I think the Tony Visconti factor is pretty big in this.

Kristeen Young = Tony Visconti's girlfriend, so she might be part of the package deal. ;)
Sometimes I feel that Moz has been touring so much lately just to promote KY. :rolleyes:
No but seriously, I think the Tony Visconti factor is pretty big in this.

In what way, without Kristeen, Tony won't produce the album?
I'm not arguing with you, but I think Morrissey has proved himself that he does what he wants; he isn't going to have a shadow if he doesn't want one.

I can see the part of Morrissey having Kristeen open for him as an opener as a favor to Tony; which may even be stretching it; if Morrissey doesn't like someone they won't be opening for him, but the off gig associations, how would that fit in to a favor or agreement with Tony?

Just curious is all.

Moz and Damien Dempsey both mentioned hanging out together a lot; he was certainly photographed often enough with Phranc, and seems to have at least met the Libertines. Conversely, yes, he only ever wrote to the Boyfriends, and notoriously didn't meet the Dears. It does seem that there's some unevenness with regard to his interactions with opening bands.

That said, I wouldn't read anything deep into which opening acts he meets and which he doesn't. I expect it comes down to which are already his personal friends. And no, I don't remotely believe that Kristeen is opening for him because they are friends, and I think that to say that Moz' personal and professional association with Kristeen in general stems from some "package deal" with Tony Visconti is a rather harsh insult to Kristeen, Tony and Moz. Do you realize what you're saying about these three people? There is no reading of the concept of a "package deal" that doesn't make at least two of them sound cronyish, weak and dubiously invested in their own art and reputation.

Really, does it seem like Morrissey to give a long-term opening slot to someone purely because she's his producer's girlfriend, or even because he likes her? He's worked with a lot of people over the years, and somehow I expect that a lot of them had side projects and/or spouses and SO's who were in bands. How many of these have reached the point of recording with Moz or opening for him? One, I'm pretty sure - Kirsty MacColl, who was brilliant and whose contributions were limited to backup singing. As for his known musical friends, James Maker and Linder have both opened with him - in the short term, or for one-offs. No major tours. No "Sweetie-Pie." Certainly no group television appearances in full costume with gong.

I realize Kristeen's appeal escapes a lot of people here (and, honestly, I can sort of understand why Morrissey and a two-piece, aggressively feminist, intensely camp punk band wouldn't share all the fans in the world) but - "what gives?" Maybe she's his opening act because he likes her and Jeff's music. Maybe they're friends because he likes her. Is this so impossible?

(It bears mentioning, just because it always does while talking about Kristeen, that she was in two groups, made records with both, recorded two solo albums, and was even signed -to a now-deceased label, sadly- before even meeting Tony Visconti. Her career didn't exactly start the day she sent him that demo.)

Last edited:
I think the moral of this theory is "Don't boo Morrissey's girlfriend."

but the off gig associations, how would that fit in to a favor or agreement with Tony?

Just curious is all.

Well, it may be something simple like they have just become very good friends in the last 2 years.
Or maybe Tony phoned Moz and asked him to look after his girl. :D

I'm wondering if KY's drummer was there as well...

lol.

he shut a bar down at the venue in houston before she came on.
so it seems he likes to protect her against drunk hecklers.

A Few facts:
- Morrissey does not write tunes. He gets a tune given to him by Boz or anyone else. And then Morrissey does the words.
- I believe his support bands do NOT travel with him. This is why The Boyfriends went quickly - they could not afford to travel further. I saw Kristeen Young shivering @ Glasgow train station last year. She was waiting for the train for the next gig.

... No matter how badly you want to? haha

Actually, when he played the Murat here in Indy a few months ago... we may have booed her. The girl behind me even shouted "Freebird". It was priceless. But Mozzer still came on and put on a great show IMO. Only one encore though, but it's all good.

Anyway. I agree that Moz and KY have probably just become friends after touring together and what-not. Especially if he enjoys her music (somehow) which he appears to. Is it really so strange to think Moz might actually become friends with new people that our minds are boggled when he starts spending time with someone outside the band on tour?

I think they are mates. Morrissey obviously likes Kristeen's live stuff...
I bought her 2 Cd singles and they are really good.

... No matter how badly you want to? haha

Actually, when he played the Murat here in Indy a few months ago... we may have booed her. The girl behind me even shouted "Freebird". It was priceless. But Mozzer still came on and put on a great show IMO. Only one encore though, but it's all good.

Anyway. I agree that Moz and KY have probably just become friends after touring together and what-not. Especially if he enjoys her music (somehow) which he appears to. Is it really so strange to think Moz might actually become friends with new people that our minds are boggled when he starts spending time with someone outside the band on tour?

I'm surprised you said that about the Indy show. I found that crowd to be enthusiastic and appreciative. I chalked that up to Indiana being so glad to see anything that isn't wearing a basketball jersey and sweating aggressively. But Indy treated her far, far better than Chicago did the week prior. I was ashamed of Chicago.

I like Kristeen, I've met her, I even sent flowers backstage for her at one gig. She's busting her ass up there. I've downloaded her music, and I like it. She sounds much better listening at home, though. The sound mixes haven't been kind to her at all.

I can see why Morrissey likes her- and if they do happen to be dating, so what? Good for them.

I get the impression that Morrissey has always been drawn to, respected, become friends with those he considers to be true "artists". Those who are driven by their own vision, cannot be told what to do, wear, say, produce. Those who produce their art/music regardless of popular acclaim or recognition from their peers.
In that sense hasn't he always considered himself to be under-rated or misunderstood? Certainly underplayed by the mainstream radio stations, etc.

Though the sound of Kristeen's music may be beyond my capacity to enjoy I can appreciate that among friends she may well be intelligent, witty, good company and a creative inspiration. She is reported as getting a bit stroppy with hecklers on stage, but at least thats the real person, not fake smiles through gritted teeth.

I don't see Morrissey suffering fools, or promoting her work for this length of time if he didn't have respect for her.

Some of the people who have supported Morrissey and subsequently moaned that he ignored them have struck me as having their priorities wrong. If they were really serious about their art they'd be focused on their performance that night, not how pally they could get with Morrissey so that they could boast about it afterwards. Maybe Kristeen was a bit more restrained and respectful, so Morrissey has grown to trust her.

Anyone who has ever listened to Siouxie & The Banshees and Nico (both Morrissey's favourites) will see the attraction of Kristeen Young. I mean the early Siouxie was pure punk and Nico's records are dark, mysterious, gothic and "weird". Mozza has always championed the "underdogs" - Cockney Rejects and Angelic Upstarts were Oi! bands. Morrissey has stated that he wants the whole evening to be "an event" - support, pre-gig music, videos - and it's not going to be a Middle-of-the-road event!

Yeah, when has Moz done this w/ previous opening bands? :p
mozyoung1fc7.jpg

(i know, we've seen it before)

Also, recall vicarinatutugal's (viattg for short? :) ) post and link to the KY interview in April with a bit of insight into the KY/Morrissey connection (thanks for that viattg): http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showpost.php?p=525080&postcount=1

Nice post "left out"... agree

You can call me Karin for short also :p
I posted links else where for "my" Kristeen web site and forum, (she approves by the way) you can get the links in my sig if anyone is interested.

Back
Top Bottom