Mike Joyce shares Smiths soundcheck

ah, was hoping for video. I heard that Morrissey was playing a mean air guitar to this while they were jamming.

All credit to Soundsville Paul who is the source for recording this soundcheck.
Unfortunately, Joyce is sharing a YouTube version - no holy grail old tapes dusted off.
There's several FLAC versions in the drive collection if anyone is interested.
Regards,
FWD.

Re: short/long version if yours runs longer:

The Smiths' 1986 Glasgow soundcheck, featuring the band's three instrumentalists, is a fascinating musical document.

Among the most interesting bits is a brief performance of Purple Haze.

This small package includes two versions of the track. Both even out a rather jarring volume fluctuation by amplifying the portion of the track from 0:00 to about 0:26.5. Both also attempt to even out Johnny Marr's lead guitar, and improve its place in the mix, by gently boosting the 2-3kHz frequencies from about 0:26.5 to the end of the track.

In addition to these fixes, the first of the two tracks included here also duplicates about 43 seconds of the performance, inserting it around 1:16, in order to increase the track's length from 1:27 to 2:10. The result is an increase in the duration of the musical performance by about 65%.

Steve:
Paul had just bought a new mic ... a tiny one that was a mic and plug in one, and just slotted into the top of the tape deck. He thought it would make it easier to tape un-noticed. He took it down to the venue, and they managed to get into the venue. The band were already soundchecking and Paul switched on his recorder. The band (minus Morrissey) seemed to be running through their set. He told me he had the recorder poking out the top of his jacket, and just left it running until the tape ran out ... which is why there's only 45 minutes of it and the last track cuts out half way through. I remember him coming back afterwards quite excited and playing me the version of Purple Haze that they had played.

Back
Top Bottom