Mark Ronson's cover of "Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before"

Surely there are better things to get enraged about.
I personally think it's a really great version, but even if you hate it at least lots of people are going to hear the song that maybe wouldn't have heard it before and who knows, some them may be inspired to venture into HMV and try a Smiths album or two.

I love getting enraged.
Plus I'd rather those people didn't buy a Smiths album or two if they are inspired by that drivel.

Ronson has personally posted the video of this on Youtube, and has his own channel there.....click here
You'd probably be better off over there, letting him know directly what you think, rather than endlessly bitching about it here.
At least that way, the guy has a chance to respond to everyone's criticism .... if he chooses.

i find it disgusting, the singer has a dull, lifeless voice and obviously has not talent! chavs the world over will be singing this without knowing what the f*** it is! i am really angry about this at the moment!!

i find it disgusting, the singer has a dull, lifeless voice and obviously has not talent! chavs the world over will be singing this without knowing what the f*** it is! i am really angry about this at the moment!!

f**k offfff you pompous twonk (no I'm not a chav)

I love getting enraged.
Plus I'd rather those people didn't buy a Smiths album or two if they are inspired by that drivel.

How narrowminded and ignorant. Do you think some people are not clever or worthy enough to buy a Smiths or Morrissey record?

I'd rather hear a hundred ''chavs'' singing this song in unison than listen to inverted snobs pontificating about who may or may not like the same things that they do.

well i may be pompous twonk, but to be honest if you rate this version then your opinion means nothing to me!

this song has no spirit and mark ronsons career is going to be furthered by lyrics that he didnt even write!

How narrowminded and ignorant. Do you think some people are not clever or worthy enough to buy a Smiths or Morrissey record?

I'd rather hear a hundred ''chavs'' singing this song in unison than listen to inverted snobs pontificating about who may or may not like the same things that they do.

do you think that the chavs would actually listen to the original version? the only reason chavs would listen to this is because they think its something new with a dance beat behind it!! the fact that this is a smiths song will mean nothing, its just words to a beat to them. the meaning and emotion is lost, but if you like smiths songs to be destroyed... good for you.

well i may be pompous twonk, but to be honest if you rate this version then your opinion means nothing to me!

But that's all it is, an opinion. Your opinion of the song differs from mine. It doesn't mean you're right and I'm wrong, or the other way around.

do you think that the chavs would actually listen to the original version? the only reason chavs would listen to this is because they think its something new with a dance beat behind it!! the fact that this is a smiths song will mean nothing, its just words to a beat to them. the meaning and emotion is lost, but if you like smiths songs to be destroyed... good for you.

How do you know? How do you know that none of them will seek out the original version? How do you know why they like the song? How do you know that the words will mean nothing to them? You are just as ingorant as you insist they are.

because i have lived my life surrounded by the type of people that we refer to as "chavs" and they dont seek the same things ffom music that people that generally listen to the smiths do. how many dance songs have you listened to that actually have legitimate, emotional, thought provoking lyrics??? id guess at none (unless you class bands such as massive attack as dance). do most dance songs have repetative lyrics that just go on and on.... yes, because the lyric in a dance song is just there to fill it out.

I really really don't like this version. Finally heard it on the radio the other day in the car and had to listen to the original as soon as I reached the office to clense my ears.

Think I agree with Sarah on this one. I reckon the yoof/the chavs/the 14 year olds (whatever generalisation we wish to use) may well 'get' something from the lyrics.

Of all the Smiths lyrics, this one perhaps feels the most 'now' with its tale of love, drunkenness and violence. The 'slightly less than I used to' line reminds of 'Every day I love you less and less' by the KC (who we all know are huge Moz/Smiths fans).

I am pretty excited about the prospect of a Morrissey/Marr song finally reaching number 1 and will definitely be buying a copy.
I love it when the obscure Morrissey/Smiths world achieves mainstream cultural exposure. Down with the indie snobs!
In fact I am much more enthused about this 'campaign' than trying to download Pigsty or Meat is Murder into the chart!

im sure moz is throwing up his vegetarian breakfast as we type!

Think you're quite wrong there, Mr Voyeur!
Mark Ronson re-arranged the song considerably and he therefore needed personal approval off Morrissey and Marr to release it. Moz was said to have been very impressed.
Moz tends to be quite flattered when anyone covers his songs whether it's David Bowie or, err, Tatu!

I am pretty excited about the prospect of a Morrissey/Marr song finally reaching number 1 and will definitely be buying a copy.
I love it when the obscure Morrissey/Smiths world achieves mainstream cultural exposure. Down with the indie snobs!
In fact I am much more enthused about this 'campaign' than trying to download Pigsty or Meat is Murder into the chart!

Seconded that man. But i won't be buying a copy!

wouldnt the copyright to the songs be owned by the label they were initially released on and therefore permission would be granted by them and morrissey!?

ulimately i think there are a lot of people here that are trying to make something good out of something bad, people saying that it will be great if it gets to number one! but i wont, if this gets to number one it wont be because of the lyrics, it will be because it is just another radio friendly dance song that has mass appeal. the lyrics that go over the top could be about "castles in the sky" or "no limits" and it would still do well. so if this gets to number one it wont really be a triumph for moz, cos the majority of people buying it will NOT be buiying it for the lyrical content or meaning!

Last edited:
Think you're quite wrong there, Mr Voyeur!
Mark Ronson re-arranged the song considerably and he therefore needed personal approval off Morrissey and Marr to release it. Moz was said to have been very impressed.
Moz tends to be quite flattered when anyone covers his songs whether it's David Bowie or, err, Tatu!

My impression is that Morrissey is so grateful to be covered he is nice about the results out of politeness rather than because he thinks the records are any good.

Back
Top Bottom