Lyrics of the four new songs

I happen to agree, but also remember the way the guy handled a close relative's death: by asking folks in Guyana to send flowers via Interflora and letting his nephew or NoNameNumpty proudly post pictures of massive graffiti on the walls of her house.
I found that silly, tacky, egomaniacal and bordering on indecent, but nobody else found it problematic at the time.
...Funny how we react differently to things according to our own background and sensitivity, eh?

Touché. I am fine with approaching this with an eye toward subjectivity. Truly, one man's tacky is another man's proper. Personally I think Morrissey Central should be nuked altogether, and I don't know why that picture of Elizabeth Dwyer on a Staten Island beach in a bikini was turned into something like an icon surrounded by votive candles. For a certain subsection of devoted Morrissey fans, that picture became Juan Diego's tilma. "Am I not your mother?" I felt as sorry as I basically could for him about his loss (I am a mother's boy myself), but some of that whole episode was indeed borderline hideous, and on a much, much smaller scale it mirrored the "fandom grief" which was studied with such a critical eye by Christopher Hitchens in his Diana documentary The Mourning After. It's inexplicable to me. Is Morrissey hypocritical for hating the One Love Manchester concert while overlooking his own grief garishness? Possibly. It doesn't negate the power of the song for me.

About that song about twerking and that dead teen (or was that by another Disney singer), I think the least we owe to the dead we lived with is to try our best to honour their life as we think they would have liked. It's not easy to all agree on how to do it, but there ARE guidelines, sometimes even given explicitely by them. To disregard them just...sucks.

In the case of Side to Side, Ariana Grande said the wishes of the daughter were expressed by her parents. Unless a fifteen-year-old had a last will & testament, which is unlikely, I assume the parents said, "she liked this song." I guess that's one way to have your daughter memorialized. In their defense, they may not have known what the lyrics were about. Interestingly, Miley Cyrus, who is hypothesized to be a friend of Morrissey's, performed at the same concert.

Last edited:
I agree, but at the same time understand why these things happen whenever there’s new music released/performed.

Yes, let’s understand together why these things happen. Why do you think some people need to repeatedly comment with the same criticism? Why do they expect Morrissey to change for them? Say the things they want him to say? Do the things they want him to do? Write the words they want him to write?

This has been going on for years, you’d think by now, they would have a clue that their repeated criticism will never change him?

Yes, let’s understand together why these things happen. Why do you think some people need to repeatedly comment with the same criticism? Why do they expect Morrissey to change for them? Say the things they want him to say? Do the things they want him to do? Write the words they want him to write?

This has been going on for years, you’d think by now, they would have a clue that their repeated criticism will never change him?
Like I said previously, I don't think the ultimate goal is to change Morrissey (that would be preposterous and would have to warrant some ESP). It's natural to want to vent and I think that's just what it is. Venting. That and that it's fun to discuss and debate. But yeah, it does get out of hand most of the time - especially when it comes to 'is he or isn't he racist'.

Like I said previously, I don't think the ultimate goal is to change Morrissey (that would be preposterous and would have to warrant some ESP). It's natural to want to vent and I think that's just what it is. Venting. That and that it's fun to discuss and debate. But yeah, it does get out of hand most of the time - especially when it comes to 'is he or isn't he racist'.

Well, everyone’s opinions will seem repetitive after a while, but it’s the whining negative uncreative criticism that we’ve heard a million times that I find loony. They just can’t let go, they must believe if they keep at it, then he’ll somehow magically change.

Well, everyone’s opinions will seem repetitive after a while, but it’s the whining negative uncreative criticism that we’ve heard a million times that I find loony. They just can’t let go, they must believe if they keep at it, then he’ll somehow magically change.
Yes, some are like that. But some of us are capable of positive and negative feedback, criticism, opinions. And I think that's great and much welcomed.

Yes, some are like that. But some of us are capable of positive and negative feedback, criticism, opinions. And I think that's great and much welcomed.

It’s the repetition of the negative that I find
to be problematic and troublesome. Especially when some post with their backhanded compliments, thinking that their opinions and posts are ‘balanced’ and believing themselves to be better than what they erroneously consider to be a ‘delusional fan’. It’s really laughable.

to be problematic and troublesome. Especially when some post with their backhanded compliments, thinking that their opinions and posts are ‘balanced’ and believing themselves to be better than what they erroneously consider to be a ‘delusional fan’. It’s really laughable.
Just as there are those that endlessly spread negativity, there are some delusional fans as well. Both are annoying, to me. Maybe you see me as one or the other, I don’t know.

:popcorn:

We were warned even against saying the i-word – Islamist. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham damned the arena atrocity as the work of an ‘extremist’, prompting Morrissey to ask: ‘An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?’ When then UKIP leader Paul Nuttall said a week after the slaughter that politicians should have ‘the courage’ to name the problem, to call it ‘Islamist extremism’, he was roundly denounced. It is ‘completely outrageous’ to use the word Islamist in relation to this attack, said Green MP Caroline Lucas. Tell that to the mass murderer himself, Salman Abedi, whose intent was clear as day: to kill as many free young citizens as possible in the name of the Islamist ideology.

Don’t look back in anger, don’t feel strong emotions, don’t say the word ‘Islamist’ – that was the creepy response of the powers-that-be to one of the worst assaults in living memory on the youth of this country. We had the perverse situation where almost instantaneously the Twitterati was saying ‘Let’s not risk an outbreak of Islamophobia by overreacting to this attack’. Parents were picking nails from their children’s faces and these people were talking about Islamophobia. The hours and days after this atrocity provided one of the starkest and most disturbing insights into the moral cowardice of the new elites, who are so desperate to maintain the phoney peace of multiculturalism than they will fully turn their heads away from the violent tensions in our society and from the hateful scourge of Islamist extremism.

We were warned even against saying the i-word – Islamist. Manchester mayor Andy Burnham damned the arena atrocity as the work of an ‘extremist’, prompting Morrissey to ask: ‘An extreme what? An extreme rabbit?’ When then UKIP leader Paul Nuttall said a week after the slaughter that politicians should have ‘the courage’ to name the problem, to call it ‘Islamist extremism’, he was roundly denounced. It is ‘completely outrageous’ to use the word Islamist in relation to this attack, said Green MP Caroline Lucas. Tell that to the mass murderer himself, Salman Abedi, whose intent was clear as day: to kill as many free young citizens as possible in the name of the Islamist ideology.

Don’t look back in anger, don’t feel strong emotions, don’t say the word ‘Islamist’ – that was the creepy response of the powers-that-be to one of the worst assaults in living memory on the youth of this country. We had the perverse situation where almost instantaneously the Twitterati was saying ‘Let’s not risk an outbreak of Islamophobia by overreacting to this attack’. Parents were picking nails from their children’s faces and these people were talking about Islamophobia. The hours and days after this atrocity provided one of the starkest and most disturbing insights into the moral cowardice of the new elites, who are so desperate to maintain the phoney peace of multiculturalism than they will fully turn their heads away from the violent tensions in our society and from the hateful scourge of Islamist extremism.

Political correctness is the bane of our times. Morrissey is straightforward, though sometimes he doesn't put it into the right words. Only sometimes...

When political correctness stops you from being honest and true about what is going on, you really should take a second and reflect.

What about in America where it's the Christian Right perpetrating domestic terrorism? Do we burn down their churches?

What about in America where it's the Christian Right perpetrating domestic terrorism? Do we burn down their churches?

No, but all bad religious ideologies should be opposed. The left in America is often critical of Christianity but soft on Islam. It's a blind spot, or possibly something to do with the fact that most of the Christians here are white, and most of the Mohammedans are so-called "brown" (even though the peoples of the Middle East and North Africa are technically Caucasian). The left, unfortunately, sometimes has its own kind of racial hierarchy.

Last edited:
No, but all bad religious ideologies should be opposed. The left in America is often critical of Christianity but soft on Islam. It's a blind spot, or possibly something to do with the fact that most of the Christians here are white, and most of the Mohammedans are so-called "brown" (even though the peoples of the Middle East and North Africa are technically Caucasian). The left, unfortunately, sometimes has its own kind of racial hierarchy.

Christians do not equal white in America. You're forgetting there are lots of Black churches, the Latin Catholic tradition and there are many Asian Christians, particularly South Korean. Most people in America are Christians. However, most of the domestic terrorists in America are white Christians. They are the problem here.

I have resigned as a morrissey fan.He wants to promote war now? That doesn't sit well with me. Stephen is a talentless nobody and a disgusting human being.

I have resigned as a morrissey fan.He wants to promote war now? That doesn't sit well with me. Stephen is a talentless nobody and a disgusting human being.
Talentless? Just because you disagree with him? Or was he talentless prior to you disowning him as well? If so, why were you a fan of someone with no talent? And when and where did he express support for war?
So many questions.

Also, it’s Steven.

Talentless? Just because you disagree with him? Or was he talentless prior to you disowning him as well? If so, why were you a fan of someone with no talent? And when and where did he express support for war?
So many questions.

Also, it’s Steven.

I'm calling him Stephen because I hate him so much.I was huge fan of morrissey for a long time.,I really was a nutter for him but the guy is a far right pig and it's over for me.There is nothing in his lyrics I relate to anymore, just hate and rage and more rage,no pathos or sensitivity,no humour. He is awful now, his lyrics these could be written in thirty seconds I woke up and was sad I went down saw my dad..etc.he may have had talent in the 80s he doesn't anymore.its like the smaller that heart gets, the faster his talent disappears.i would honestly rather listen to ANYTHING else.i will be more specific I would rather listen to the cure.It's called having principals.its my view he's spreading hate and war, rallying for vengeance against the people of Islam,I don't want war and I don't want revenge.I'm a feminist and a pacifist at heart,I was raised on Marx.i can't stand morrissey now. If you wish to listen to him fine but I find him repulsive these days. Even the concept of feminism and child welfare is lost him now.
There are a lot of artists I disagree with politically but none of them are promoting the far right,seriously.The music was once beautiful and the person behind it equally so.what is left is just a petty little man exuding hatefulness and hitting out with such misanthropic shit it verges on psychopathy.

And no, his bitterness makes no sense.he gets branded a genius,a poet,a king and a national treasure for f***sake.if he was a real genius he would be dead or unrecognised. What the f*** is his problem? Yes I stand on my arse will be his next song,I dance and sit on it well.yawn.
Kill me now.

Back
Top Bottom