Leak 'World Peace Is None Of Your Business' here

I should stress I have already preordered the album, so I hope all you who are downloading it now have too :p Seriously, I say this because Moz DESERVES money for this effort. Holy f***. I mean I haven't been as harsh on his recent stuff as others. I have loved it but I know it hasn't been as great as the old days. But this album, this is a totally new ball game.

Ok I bought the deluxe bundle set, three copies of the autobiography, YA and V&I remastered cd's. I pre-ordered the deluxe cd from Best Buy. Get real I'm f***ing download it as I couldn't f***en wait. Loving the cd! Viva Moz!

Should we perhaps set up a support group marred? Let's call it Raised To Wait ;)

I downloaded it last night, and have it on a little USB, reclining gracefully. 80 minutes of all-new Moz :eek:
But I still want to wait and listen to it via official channels. I've lost track of the number of versions I've ordered ~ super uber deluxe fannyfied boxes upon boxes upon bundles. Plus a CD/LP from my local independent neighbourhood dealer, who usually slips me my fix 5 days upfront. So I shall have it soon enough. Delayed pleasure is my middle name (Catholic parents...)

Tingling at all the words of mouths, but trying not to recall that when Refusal leaked 2 months early there were similar splutterings of joy. Illicit listens can oftentimes queer the ear...

I f***ing need it though :straightface:

You downloaded it with the intention of not listening to it? That's just f***ing sick man. While you're at it why don't you go make Duck a la orange and stare at it!

I haven't pre ordered anything yet other than the 4 tracks we've all heard. My record store assures me they will have it on the day. At least I know I'm not doing cold turkey alone :)

The album has a .... a .... an industrial-Spanish (?) feel to it. The songs themselves often take a number of unpredictable turns prior to ending. It's certainly a lot to take in ...

The album has a .... a .... an industrial-Spanish (?) feel to it. The songs themselves often take a number of unpredictable turns prior to ending. It's certainly a lot to take in ...

It's surprisingly widescreen, after the anodyne, limited nature of the new songs from 2011. Gustavo clearly exerted a strong musical influence. Even in his absence, I hear Alain's influence: I'm Not A Man owes a lot to It's Not Your Birthday Anymore and Boz is channeling his trademark delay phased guitar sound here and there.

Some of the musical left turns work better than others. Neal Cassady doesn't do much for me. It's a bit of a hodge podge. The "field recording" at the beginning of I'm Not A Man seems pointless and goes nowhere. On the plus side, the one-track "rawk" typical of this lineup is really well and gone for most of the album - there is an abundance of keyboards. Jesse's awful guitar tone of the past is reined in. This is the least orthodox musical approach Morrissey's had since Kill Uncle. The preview tracks are truly not indicative of the overall feel of the album. Much does not feel built for replication live.

I hear the Scott Walkerisms. The outro of Smiler is almost as bald a pastiche of The Man Who Sold The World as I Know It's Gonna Happen Someday was of Rock And Roll Suicide. I also hear Jobriath in Oboe Concerto.

So far, the real grabbers for me are Staircase At The University, Oboe Concerto, One Of Our Own, Drag The River, Forgive Someone, and Art Hounds (which is TRULY different - be prepared).

First impressions...this one will require rumination. Musically, I kept saying to myself: "This is Morrissey?" It's about as surprising as a "late period" album could be for an established artist.

Last edited:
I'm thrilled by the overwhelmingly positive first reactions to the album, but I myself shall also be waiting until the 15th to hear it. For me it would ruin all the excitement of buying an album if I knew it off by heart already.

It is bloody tempting though....

Last edited:
I think it's a bit of a shame the album proper ends with the two blandest tracks , Mountjoy and Oboe.

For me , the standouts so far would be Neal Cassidy ( it sounds as fun as the lyrics suggest , particularly the line about Ginsburg shampooing his beard with his own tears ) , Staircase , Kiss Me a Lot and of course Istanbul.

Art-Hounds has lost it's raw , raucous appeal in the studio. It now drags its heels where it should be racing ahead. I don't think the lyric changes do much either. Why Moz felt inclined to change the line "...when you cannot stand the real world ... " to " ... if you cannot stand this fake world ..." , I don't know. The original seemed much more wry insofar as Moz admits he isn't going to be offering anyone a "real world" but rather his own limited support and solace ...

I'm of very mixed feelings here... I pegged Drag the River as the worst song on the album, but now people are making me reconsider. I thought it was a grower, but hearing from people who already adore it makes me wonder of I am at fault.
The thing is, I f' ing love the album, and consider the deluxe tracks to be the weak spot. If it is to be that I've blown it and that the tracks I've written off are also fabulous, then it only means Morrissey has flummoxed me with his genius yet again.

The real question I'm debating now is, is this album even better than Vauxhall?

I'm of very mixed feelings here... I pegged Drag the River as the worst song on the album, but now people are making me reconsider. I thought it was a grower, but hearing from people who already adore it makes me wonder of I am at fault.
The thing is, I f' ing love the album, and consider the deluxe tracks to be the weak spot. If it is to be that I've blown it and that the tracks I've written off are also fabulous, then it only means Morrissey has flummoxed me with his genius yet again.

The real question I'm debating now is, is this album even better than Vauxhall?

After one listen I also think it could be better than Vauxhall.

To be fair though, the deluxe tracks are just basically b-sides - they SHOULD be the weak spot. Either way, this album far exceeded expectations.

It will be interesting to here some of these songs live. Let's just hope we get the chance.

"It will be interesting to here some of these songs live. Let's just hope we get the chance. "

"World Peace...." will be His legacy recording - he's at the top of his octaves.

Moz does not need to tour ever again. ever.

It's the best album since Vauxhall. Lyrics are superb throughout, his delivery even more so. "Neal Cassady" is great once it gets going, although the beginning is a little rough. "I'm Not a Man" is brave and perfect. But I think the second half of the album starting with "Staircase" is where this album is absolutely stunning. The music on wonderful, and goes places his band hasn't gone since . . . with "Smiler with Knife". I'm really having difficulty choosing a favourite from the second half.

Minor gripes for me are the title track - which for me starts poorly and I think the "Ukraine"/"pain" couplet is the weakest on the record - and "Earth is the Loneliest Planet" - filler for me, though maybe I'll come around to that one. Of the bonus tracks, "Forgive Someone" and "Julie in the Weeds" are fantastic, and "Art-Hounds" is as good as I hoped it would be. The quality of the bonus tracks makes me wish they hadn't utterly f***ed up the releases so far. They should have done, on 12":

World Peace is None of Your Business / One of Our Own / Scandinavia

Istanbul / Forgive Someone / Drag The River

Bullfighter Dies / Art-Hounds / Julie in the Weeds

If they aren't three killer singles I'm a boiled egg.

"It will be interesting to here some of these songs live. Let's just hope we get the chance. "

"World Peace...." will be His legacy recording - he's at the top of his octaves.

Moz does not need to tour ever again. ever.

I think he just needs to ease up a bit on the tour dates. Maybe even do an arena tour like he did in 2006. I know most of us prefer to see him in smaller more intimate venues but if it's that or nothing then I'd chose that.

Great album! every song have their own song, spanish guitars, beautiful voice, excelent production, a thousand miles better than "Years of Refusal", and yes the bonus tracks sounds like a B-sides for me too, Art-hounds is a surprise, anyway:

I'm not a man - my favourite by now
Smiler with knife - my least until now
Julie in the weeds - well, it's good

To a degree, i am enjoying the bonus tracks more than the album

Yup.

Some of the main album tracks.... I dunno. After a single listen, to my ears, it seems like a number of interesting musical ideas/left turns, some great lyrical lines here and there, but as fully formed songs it doesn't always work. Obviously this is subject to revision based on further listening. My favorite album song (not counting the four pre-released) is "Mountjoy." Least favorite: "I'm not a Man."

You downloaded it with the intention of not listening to it? That's just f***ing sick man. While you're at it why don't you go make Duck a la orange and stare at it!

I haven't pre ordered anything yet other than the 4 tracks we've all heard. My record store assures me they will have it on the day. At least I know I'm not doing cold turkey alone :)

Catholic Masochist Pleasure Delayer.

(Isn't that a Fall album title?)

Certainly not.

I agree - let's not carried away and push aside 20 years of time-tested excellence after two or three listens to the shiny, new toy. There are some fatty bits and the occasional lack of cohesion. Vauxhall was watertight, top to bottom.

Sonically, it is better than ROTT and YOR. There are risks here I expected of Visconti. It is missing a classic "Alain single." This is a true album - very few obvious singles.

Will we ever see proper studio recordings of The Kid's a Looker, People Are the Same Everywhere and Action is my Middle Name or are those live studio b-sides the best we'll get?

heard smiler with knife and staircase, and already I like them more then
nearly everything off the last three albums...
kiss me a lot is ok, I think, but Im happy that the tone changed so much,
and cant wait to hear the rest....

Back
Top Bottom