Kill Uncle re-appraisal at Louder Than War

I´ve heard Kill Uncle and Bona Drag when they were released and i don´t think they are bad. In some cases i think they show Morrissey at the peak of his own misery. They are very rich in terms of lyrics, and musically, Clive langer music and Mark Nevin music is very interesting. I even prefer the first edition of Kill Uncle, back in 1991, than this brand new edition. I think this new edition has made him lost his misery, a little...A good Morrissey album must have some sad and painful lyrics. Everyone who passes through a difficult situation in life will love both Bona Drag and Kill Uncle albuns. But it´s my opinion, and nothing more!!!

I think that you make a very strong point concerning the reasons why each individual fan is drawn to Morrissey. For most, his lyrics were helpful in persevering through a difficult time in life; whether you started as a Smith's fan or came aboard later when Morrissey was well established as a solo artist. I always loved the Smith's and his early solo work, but I became almost obsessed once I heard You are the Quarry. It was that moment of epiphany when I thought that this man understood my turmoil better than the people who are actually involved in my life; and once I had adopted the philosophy, I found value in all of his recordings. Art is subjective, and none of us would probably agree as to which songs are the best representation of his work; that is because we are looking at the lyrics with our own frame of reference and our own needs. As for Kill Uncle, I could live without Asian Rut, but I'm Driving Your Girlfriend Home is one of my absolute favorites; obviously, not everyone will agree, but this song just strikes a personal chord. Listening to those painful lyrics is cathartic.

lynnda

I think that you make a very strong point concerning the reasons why each individual fan is drawn to Morrissey. For most, his lyrics were helpful in persevering through a difficult time in life; whether you started as a Smith's fan or came aboard later when Morrissey was well established as a solo artist. I always loved the Smith's and his early solo work, but I became almost obsessed once I heard You are the Quarry. It was that moment of epiphany when I thought that this man understood my turmoil better than the people who are actually involved in my life; and once I had adopted the philosophy, I found value in all of his recordings. Art is subjective, and none of us would probably agree as to which songs are the best representation of his work; that is because we are looking at the lyrics with our own frame of reference and our own needs. As for Kill Uncle, I could live without Asian Rut, but I'm Driving Your Girlfriend Home is one of my absolute favorites; obviously, not everyone will agree, but this song just strikes a personal chord. Listening to those painful lyrics is cathartic.

lynnda
Gosh, all this pain and sadness. Personally I find Morrisseys voice and music full of joy. I associate nothing but happiness with the listening to his songs. All very uplifting.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom