Johnny Marr new single "Hi Hello" calls back to 'instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitars'

just awesome song. Chills.

Link posted by Surface:

Johnny Marr Says 'Hi Hello' to the Old Style in New Single, Video: Exclusive - Billboard

Excerpt:

Johnny Marr is making a reintroduction to a new world on his latest single “Hi Hello” from his forthcoming third solo record Call The Comet.

‘It was one of the songs that just fell into my hands and mind as I was playing,” Marr tells Billboard. “The tune evoked something natural so I just followed it and it felt like I had to sing something personal, something we might all feel about someone sometime.”

The song loosely follows the overarching concept of the next record, which is informed by an alternate utopian reality, even as Marr looks ahead at a dystopian future. It calls back to some of the former Smiths songwriter’s most instinctive sensibilities with its jangly guitar and gloomy keyboard melodies, but they’re presented with a new depth that is distant yet inviting.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just so much better than anything Morrissey has done in a really long while.

No it's not Johnnie Ray. Firstly there are NO vocals - there is no singer or singing (as such) - just duff sounds coming from stage center. Secondly, Johnny Marr is a fantastic guitarist and musician. That is all he is.

Hazard
x

I feel the same way with Johnny, all of the ingredients are there but the front man thing. Nothing wrong with that, my other favourite guitarist Mick Ronson tried it but was better as an ace guitarist behind proper frontmen too.

Thank you Charlie. I do agree. It's sad really - but - we are here in 2018 and not too many years left.

Hazard
x

In comparison to whom? Certainly not Morrissey. He can’t hit a half of his former range and, live - barely makes an attempt.

Johnny Marr is just finding his stride as a vocalist and has doubled his range in the past 5 years. Not an easy feat for someone his age!

...but if any of the apologists here, from the Church of Steve, had even the slightest experience in, knowledge of or connection to the requirements for vocal musicianship, they’d already know this.

I just saw this on YouTube - Johnny sounds awesome!

What a completely boring song. Is this for the adult contemporary stations? Put it on after Coldplay for some "easy listening" background music?

I guess it'll go down in musical history according to the clowns on this site! ROFL!!!

This is brilliant. Could easily been music written for the Smiths. His vocals are really good as well. Johnny himself says it’s remeinds him of Dancing Barefoot and There’s A Light That Never Goes Out.

Johnny says a lot of things. He once claimed "Jealous of Youth" by his then-band The The was right up there, side-by-side, with "How Soon Is Now?" ROFL !! I might be one of 5 people on earth who even remembers that song.

There is absolutely nothing "brilliant" about this song. It is a pleasant but dime-a-dozen easy listening song for background music, and it'll be completely forgotten in a matter of weeks.

Kind of like a Morrissey single.

"Low in High School" is one great song after another, all together a masterpiece from start to finish. But by the end of Track 1 Morrissey had already achieved more than the entire collective body of work by Johnny Marr since the Smiths. But, then, Morrissey has had a bunch of masterpieces since Johnny left the band. Johnny has had zero. I once tried to sell off "Boomslang" to a used record store and they offered me 25 cents.
Johnny's entire post-Smiths body of work will be completely forgotten in the dustbin of history.

But the MSM will pat him on the head for siding with the minority of the populace on Brexit. Good boy, Johnny. You conformed just as they like it. They don't like all these uppity citizens wanting to have a say in their country's future, and Lord forbid some music artist speaking out about how they feel. We must stomp that out!
As a reward for your conformity, Johnny, they'll tell ya your song is good, and sure, it's pleasant enough, sort of pretty I guess in a completely forgettable and meaningless way. It certainly won't ruffle any feathers and won't cause a stir. Just as they like it.
Two weeks from now no one will remember it because, truth is, it means nothing and says nothing to anyone. Good boy, Johnny.

Yes. This is it. Stunning. On par with European Me, the peak of his solo career. If only Moz would be doing this sort of music.

Yeah, if only Morrissey could produce material as great as "European Me". ROFL! It'll go down in musical history!

"Low in High School" is one great song after another, all together a masterpiece from start to finish. But by the end of Track 1 Morrissey had already achieved more than the entire collective body of work by Johnny Marr since the Smiths. But, then, Morrissey has had a bunch of masterpieces since Johnny left the band. Johnny has had zero. I once tried to sell off "Boomslang" to a used record store and they offered me 25 cents.
Johnny's entire post-Smiths body of work will be completely forgotten in the dustbin of history.

But the MSM will pat him on the head for siding with the minority of the populace on Brexit. Good boy, Johnny. You conformed just as they like it. They don't like all these uppity citizens wanting to have a say in their country's future, and Lord forbid some music artist speaking out about how they feel. We must stomp that out!
As a reward for your conformity, Johnny, they'll tell ya your song is good, and sure, it's pleasant enough, sort of pretty I guess in a completely forgettable and meaningless way. It certainly won't ruffle any feathers and won't cause a stir. Just as they like it.
Two weeks from now no one will remember it because, truth is, it means nothing and says nothing to anyone. Good boy, Johnny.

Well it’s good that you have this opinion, others may think differently. Personally I think LIHS has 3 good tracks and the rest is pretty mediocre.

I for one do not understand all this hatred towards Marr and the childish picking of sides. Why choose when you can HAVE BOTH? It’s not Israel vs Palestine. They’re not even feuding. And to enjoy the latest Marr single more than the Moz ditto is not a slight against Moz.

I for one do not understand all this hatred towards Marr and the childish picking of sides. Why choose when you can HAVE BOTH? It’s not Israel vs Palestine. They’re not even feuding. And to enjoy the latest Marr single more than the Moz ditto is not a slight against Moz.

Totally agree. It’s probably down more to morrissey than marr that is defending him or hating his personality and the reactionary positions people inevitably end up taking when they engage in those conversation. I personally have enjoyed morrisseys solo work a lot while I find Johnny’s to be hit and miss and while good not very moving in the sense that’s it’s not hanging my life or anything. That said this song has been stuck in my head for a while now and I mean the vocal hook. Barely remember any of the words but the hook is firmly in place. I’m glad to have them both still making music

Totally agree. It’s probably down more to morrissey than marr that is defending him or hating his personality and the reactionary positions people inevitably end up taking when they engage in those conversation. I personally have enjoyed morrisseys solo work a lot while I find Johnny’s to be hit and miss and while good not very moving in the sense that’s it’s not hanging my life or anything. That said this song has been stuck in my head for a while now and I mean the vocal hook. Barely remember any of the words but the hook is firmly in place. I’m glad to have them both still making music
I didn't think that much of it but I've had the chorus stuck in my head now for 3 days. Not sure how that's happened since there is barely a tune never mind a hook, but hats off to you, Johnny.

Yeah, if only Morrissey could produce material as great as "European Me". ROFL! It'll go down in musical history!

O Jesus, European Medoh:
LOL can you imagine Drama J trying to gurgle his way through "All the Young People", what a car crash that would be.:construction:
Or any of the other classics on that album.

Had dramatic:drama: technical difficulty with the guitar during the show.:guitar:
The guitar didnt play right so he had a big ado and left.:drama:
30 devoted fans were very upset.:ahhh:

I didn't think that much of it but I've had the chorus stuck in my head now for 3 days. Not sure how that's happened since there is barely a tune never mind a hook, but hats off to you, Johnny.

I think the hook is pretty good and the verse catchy. It’s the funniest thing as this is the most Smiths like sounds he’s produced and all I can remember to hum is the vocal. I think the hook is the same part as seven nation army. I don’t and have never owned or listened to the white stripes music very much but the only part of seven nation army i can remember is the same bit I mostly remember from hi hello though in this song I also like how the verse is super smooth and propulsive and then changes into the octave jump and walk down bit. Simple but effective

I once went to a used CD store and they had Boomslang in a box by the door that had a sign that said
"free cds take one". I grabbed that Drama J item and was holding it in my hand when the dude
working at the used cd store told me not to bother taking that particular cd.
When I asked him why he said, 'people take that one and then bring it back, they drive back
to return a free cd". True Drama Johnny story.
But Im sure it will be a different story with CALL THE COMET!!:drama:
Im sure it will be a hot seller for "New Voodoo" Records and Tapes. Its like a rock opera
that nobody understands because its sung in gurgle.:whip:

I once went to a used CD store and they had Boomslang in a box by the door that had a sign that said
"free cds take one". I grabbed that Drama J item and was holding it in my hand when the dude
working at the used cd store told me not to bother taking that particular cd.
When I asked him why he said, 'people take that one and then bring it back, they drive back
to return a free cd". True Drama Johnny story. Hi
But Im sure it will be a different story with CALL THE COMET!!:drama:
Im sure it will be a hot seller for "New Voodoo" Records and Tapes. Its like a rock opera
that nobody understands because its sung in gurgle.:whip:

Morrissey...is that you?

What a completely boring song. Is this for the adult contemporary stations? Put it on after Coldplay for some "easy listening" background music?

I guess it'll go down in musical history according to the clowns on this site! ROFL!!!
Now, now, be nice, Mr. Riggers; not everything can reach the standard of such Dad Rock classics like I'm Not A Man, and Sorrow Will Come To You In The End.

Also, while you're here, will there be a List of the Lost part two? Please say yes.

May I suggest a title? "List of the Lost Part 2: The Rvennge!"

Back
Top Bottom