is set list to blame for tour going stale?

When the UK tour finish, Morrissey probably change their setlist maybe 3 out and 3 in for European dates and again for a possible extensive US tour. That is my prediction

I'm not really keen on the setlist this tour. He has such a huge back catalogue to choose from that I think he should make a couple of changes every other gig maybe.

I really enjoyed the setlist on the You Are The Quarry tour as it he wasn't just playing the new album, but a really mixed set of over the years.

Hoping he'll change the set a bit as the tour goes on around the world.

I honestly don't know if I am going to go see him on the US leg if the set list doesn't change. A couple of the ROTT songs make me cringe as it is. I don't think I can sit through the majority of the album live. This will be the first Moz tour that I will not attend a gig on in over a dozen years if I don't go.

I already spent my money on a poor quality album. I can't justify spenidng more money I don't have to hear it live.

Shaw said:
The tour hasn't gone stale at all, just one problem in Gateshead because he didn't do an encore?
It will certainly come to life again in Manchester.

Everything does.

I'm on the front row at the opera house and will ensure that the front rows are showing their appreciation. :D

I heard somewhere that at Gateshead row A and B was cancelled for security reasons, some fans were furious and was allocated at the back instead. Hope you have no hassles though.

thedude77md said:
I honestly don't know if I am going to go see him on the US leg if the set list doesn't change. A couple of the ROTT songs make me cringe as it is. I don't think I can sit through the majority of the album live. This will be the first Moz tour that I will not attend a gig on in over a dozen years if I don't go.

I already spent my money on a poor quality album. I can't justify spenidng more money I don't have to hear it live.

I'd go at least once, just to experience the new album live, because some of the songs really are so much better live.

But yes, I agree about some songs making you cringe. For me it's the chorus of To Me You Are A Work of Art. *gag*

he should play Suedehead

What songs do you think should be played? fyi, I haven't been to any shows, but I also think it's looking a bit boring by now. Too many Quarry songs, if you ask me.

Morrissey's setlist always need work. I have yet to figure out why a man with so many songs always plays the same one from year to year. I'm surprised "November" is not still in the set.

Alain Whyte's still away, maybe Jesse Tobias couldn't play the earlier tracks excpe the last two albums mostly? He only been with Morrissey for around 2 years now not very long.

As much as it pains me to join the dissention, I have to say that the setlists really do need tweaking.

Before anyone slags me off, I understand that Morrissey puts a lot of drama and passion into every performance and that 110 minutes of him is worth more than three hours of Depeche Mode and blah blah blah. I know, I don't deny that. His concerts are still among the very best.

BUT, for a man who has recorded 12 proper albums throughout his career, not to mention tomes of b-sides, to be playing 18 songs a night with the majority culled from two records...it's just illogical.

I have no objection to him playing the new album for half the setlist. He's touring for it, he's entitled to represent it. But when that only leaves you with less than 10 more songs, why waste slots on obscure covers and inferior b-sides? There are so many outtakes, even just within the Quarry sessions, that are better than 'My Life is an Endless Succession of People Saying Goodbye'. And to drop 'Suedehead' and 'Stop Me If You Think You've Heard This One Before' a week into the tour? It makes me wonder if Morrissey is sabotaging his shows on purpose.

On the other hand, I'm glad he's finally bringing some songs from his 'bad' albums back. 'Trouble Loves Me' and 'Reader Meet Author' are both great to hear. I just hope he kicks it up a notch in the coming weeks.

Here's the way I sees it...

No-one is ever going to be happy with any of Moz's setlist. His catalogue both solo and Smiths is so extensive he will always leave something out. That being said, why shouldn't he play mostly new songs from the album? I have to agree, from what i've seen so far, i'm not very happy. I just hope that by the time he whips back around here to LA, he'll bring back another Smiths song from the dead, and "I Knew I Was Next". Then again, that's just me, and i'm not going to "pine for the things that'll never be mine".

Oye Esteban

Setlist was by far the best....

There was no album to promote so you just got to hear some kick ass songs that Morrissey sang amazingly.

A Swallow on my Neck!

Lost!

Half a Person!

Hated for Loving!

MIND BLOWING stuff Morrissey.

I don't really enjoy HSIN honestly as it feels too... placating. That Joke... or Pretty Girls... or Heaven Knows... Well I Wonder... Wonderful Woman... would all by vastly superior and be surreal to see IMO.

Moz is so good at so many things... just can't believe the setlist.

I'm holding out, in vain, for I Started Something I Couldn't Finish.

it's simple...Morrissey plays many shows in the UK because of the market there for his music. But in all honesty, he hates the British--thus he purposely plays these weaker songs. Just kidding.

I think he's playing too many shows, with hardly any rest. changing things around gets exhausting for him and especially the band. Some of these songs that are weak in my opinion are easy to sing and play.

whenever you get such a busy tour, you get shows that lack energy. the band gets tired.

With that said, i think he needs to drop the slower YATQ session songs. add some from his early solo days. and change the encore. the encore needs to be a classic, not a single from YATQ.

I think the setlist will be far superior in the US tour. Suedehead for example was a huge song for him in the US, which may be why he played it there. it's his most famous song in the US ( Perhaps "The More You Ignore Me..." comes a close second.)

Back
Top Bottom