*IF* "Youngest" doesn't make the UK top 10 it will be because…

*IF* "Youngest" doesn't make the UK top 10 it will be because…

• Total voters

Belligerent Ghoul

Hall of Famer
LMKYWarhol.jpg

this is a stupid poll...

if it doesnt make the top 10, it simply means that it did not sell that well. period.

You left off the option:

It's DavidT's fault for not giving Belligerent Ghoul more karma

Re: *IF* "Youngest" doesn't make the UK top 10 it will be because…

I almost didn't find it in HMV - stuck down at the floor and only CD1 on display - had to ask for CD2.

Agree with TheBaines - how many World Cup songs were released yesterday?
(and all a bag of shite too)
The Goat

chetthespian said:
What exactly is a world cup song? Is it a song about the World Cup? A song about the World Cup?

Meaning the international song or some of the many differents from each country. Yeah I don't no either ? :confused:

f***ing don't care - Most of it is crap :mad:

Didn't New Order once made a song called :
World in Motion That was a Soccer (sucker) song or ?

Not one of there greatest when You think of
Love will tear us apart :)

even better when

Joy Division :) made it

Last edited:
Great song. Bad time of year. Worsened by World Cup-itis. Only "First of the Gang" is a "better" single. Ultimately, hardly any Smiths songs ever made the Top Ten - so it doesn't exactly matter.

Oh, and I blame Keane for EVERYTHING.

It's essentially down to radio play. If people don't hear it then they can't get to like it. It's better than the majority of "indie anthems" that we get non-stop on the radio yet for some reason the powers that be have decided Morrissey is not to be played. At the moment I think he could release the greatest song ever written but it will still not get radio play.

Still, it's just the same problem the Smiths had. None of their singles charted very high simply because no one heard them on the radio. So it's all irrelevant really.

Radio play doesn't come into it.
Let Me Kiss You or I Have Forgiven Jesus didn't get any airplay (not even on radio 2 - The Youngest IS on the Radio 2 playlist), yet easily made it into the top 10. The Youngest doesn't because the competition is really stiff (5 new entries above Moz) AND because of the downloads-rule which cost You Have Killed Me a spot and will cost The Youngest 2-3 spots.
In a good week (with weaker competition) The Youngest would have charted at 5-10 (Just like First of the Gang...). Now it will chart at 10-15.

I don't think you can say radio play doesn't come into it. If it didn't matter record companies wouldn't spend fortunes on pluggers and bribes to get their records played.

Look at the number one. A song with no melody at all that's there just because of hype and being overplayed. The more a record is played the more popular it is. People like familiarity in music.

Because people on here will post the b-sides, therefore not everyone will buy both singles. :D ;)

Am I right in thinking you have to buy both singles as separate transactions for it to count as two sales?

If so I hope everyone has been doing that to date?

mjp said:
Am I right in thinking you have to buy both singles as separate transactions for it to count as two sales?

If so I hope everyone has been doing that to date?

That is not true, and I checked it out with the Chart Company some time ago. It's a silly myth and as long as there's not suspicious pockets of activity, as long as you don't go and buy 150 or something ridiculous, you can buy multiple singles and have them all count towards chart placing. How do you think Cliff Richard still manages to have the occassional festive hit? It's because he has a militant core of lunatics who'll purchase 25 copies of his latest saccharine atrocity.

Frank's Wild Years said:
That is not true, and I checked it out with the Chart Company some time ago. It's a silly myth and as long as there's not suspicious pockets of activity, as long as you don't go and buy 150 or something ridiculous, you can buy multiple singles and have them all count towards chart placing. How do you think Cliff Richard still manages to have the occassional festive hit?

OK, cheers for that - wish I'd asked earlier in the week - might have saved myself a few trips to the shops........

The Goat said:
Agree with TheBaines - how many World Cup songs were released yesterday?
(and all a bag of shite too)
The Goat

Yeah and here I was thinking there was ONE official World Cup song for England (I suppose there are several unofficial ones also). TheBaines is correct…a complimentary copy of Morrissey's Manchester should be headed his way.

:D

http://www.morrissey-solo.com/article.pl?sid=06/06/08/1635221

"The Youngest Was The Most Loved" #9 in the midweeks

posted by davidt on Thursday June 08 2006, @11:00AM

James H writes:
Working in the music industry I have access to the midweek charts and can confirm Morrissey held the number 7 position after Mondays sales but has now slipped to number 9. He is 50 copies ahead of Tony Christie so is likely to slip just outside the top 10 by Sunday.
( Read More/Comment )

~~~~

Moz on Jools:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbctwo/programmes/?id=later

~~~~

Climbers, new entries...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio1/chart/singles.shtml

~~~~

Back
Top Bottom