Morrissey Central "HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DARLING" (November 7, 2023)

HAPPY ANNIVERSARY, DARLING

You_Are_The_Quarry.jpg

You Are The Quarry will be 20 years old in 2024.

The album sold over 1 million copies.
Sweden #1
England #1*
Ireland #3
Norway #5
Finland #8
Portugal #10
USA #11

As usual, the album was not well received by the UK press, where it was certified as Platinum.
You Are The Quarry was the only album of 2004 that managed four top ten hit singles.
Irish Blood, English Heart #3
First Of The Gang To Die #6
Let me Kiss You #8
I Have Forgiven Jesus #10

There is no commemorative issue planned for You Are the Quarry, which was licensed to BMG UK in 2017 for new release.
BMG did not re-issue You Are the Quarry and have no plans to.

* = edited by Central to #2 after initial posting.
FWD.

All his current problems and gripes with the world are sadly of his own making.
No. Many of his gripes have been courageous and insightful, and articulate enough to help others understand their predicaments.

Enjoy your success Morrissey, dont dwell on shit.
A caring sentiment, to wish to everyone with the least shred of goodness :thumb:

2024 should be a year filled with happy birthdays for our Moz:
The Smiths will turn 40
Vauxhall & I will turn 30
You are the quarry will turn 20
Jesse will celebrate his 20th year in the Morrissey band of outsiders.
World peace is none of your business will turn 10
And the man himself will turn 65.

If youcan’t give us a re-release, then just give us a new record.

Here's the official review of You Are The Quarry
  • America 7/10, nice music, ok-ish lyrics
  • Irish Blood, 7/10, good music (if not my cuppa tea), stupid lyrics
  • I have forgiven Jesus, 6/10, horrible arrangement, silly lyrics, but quite a good chorus melody
  • Come back to Camden, 4/10, dismal cliched lyrics (taxi drivers who never stop talking? There's a thing!), grating synth strings, plodding rhythm
  • I'm not sorry, 5/10 just. so. dull.
  • Crashing bores, 5/10, unfunny lyrics, so-so music
  • How can anybody, 3/10, one of the 10 worst songs he's ever sung
  • First of the gang, 9/10, credit where due, it's deservedly one of his most successful ever singles
  • Let me kiss you, 7/10, pleasant enough but that's all
  • All the lazy dykes, 6/10, yeah, OK I guess
  • I like you, 4/10, this song is just horrible although it's quite hard to explain why.
  • You know I couldn't, 8/10. an admittedly strong finish. One of his best waltzes.

2024 should be a year filled with happy birthdays for our Moz:
The Smiths will turn 40
Vauxhall & I will turn 30
You are the quarry will turn 20
Jesse will celebrate his 20th year in the Morrissey band of outsiders.
World peace is none of your business will turn 10
And the man himself will turn 65.

But the year hasn’t even started, and he’s already complaining.
Just give us a new record then.
Yep, also I think the 4th year in the decade is the only one where he's always released an album
84 - Smiths
94 - Vauxhall
04 - Quarry
14 - World Peace
24 - ???

No. Many of his gripes have been courageous and insightful, and articulate enough to help others understand their predicaments.

A caring sentiment, to wish to everyone with the least shred of goodness :thumb:
Yes they have been courageous and insightful agreed, but they don't seem to get him anywhere of late. If he didnt complain so much it might help him get the record deal we would all love him to have.

All those singles co written with Alain W. And at least 3 of those are classics. Nothing like this anymore since his replacement took part in the band. Its so sad.

I thought it was Mark Nevin or Clive Langer who said he liked Black Box. That’s second-hand, and it’s possible some people can’t tell when Morrissey’s being facetious. Did he ever personally praise them publicly? I guess I’ll never understand him if he shits on Madonna and then likes Black Box. Madonna has some good songs.

The artist has every right to innovate, surprise, and even make a complete turn-around. But the listener has every right to feel disappointed and betrayed. If it happened on a different level—if he started eating meat and publicly began saying animals were ours to torture because God permits it and by the way he’s reverted to traditional Catholicism—would you not feel a betrayal?
I thought it was Mark Nevin or Clive Langer who said he liked Black Box. That’s second-hand, and it’s possible some people can’t tell when Morrissey’s being facetious. Did he ever personally praise them publicly? I guess I’ll never understand him if he shits on Madonna and then likes Black Box. Madonna has some good songs.

The artist has every right to innovate, surprise, and even make a complete turn-around. But the listener has every right to feel disappointed and betrayed. If it happened on a different level—if he started eating meat and publicly began saying animals were ours to torture because God permits it and by the way he’s reverted to traditional Catholicism—would you not feel a betrayal?
What’s amusing about that is he and Madonna do share a number of similarities with one another and he enjoys the likes of Nancy Sinatra, who I personally think is inferior to Madonna. If in actuality, he became friendly with Nancy because he would’ve preferred to befriend her father….now that I would 100% understand. Her father was/ is brilliant and to whom Morrissey should aspire to. As far as Madonna goes, I believe he’s career envious of her and he’s definitely not career envious of Black Box.

Maybe just share some positive memories of recording the album - is that too much to ask for as a retrospective?

It was in a brief interview with Q magazine. He said he loved Ride On Time and was just as surprised as anyone that it would be so.

Then he went on to address the rumour that the model fronting the band may have been a man, by saying that she did look like she could play from Wigan from a certain angle :lbf:

What sleeve are you talking about? The Korean one? I wish there was a vinyl copy of this. It's far better than the gun which I find a bit meh.

View attachment 97506
the deluxe edition came out a few months later and was an absolute bargain for £6.99.
and a better cover.

Black Box it is, then. Morrissey the inscrutable.
I know this is controversial - but I've always thought Moz's voice would sound great on a proper dance track - à la John Lydon on Open Up. The dark gloom of his voice would sound amazing against a booming drum beat I think. Talk about point / counterpoint. Just do it once, of course. The very sound of his voice has always been his most remarkable of talents - even more so than his lyrics.

I know this is controversial - but I've always thought Moz's voice would sound great on a proper dance track - à la John Lydon on Open Up. The dark gloom of his voice would sound amazing against a booming drum beat I think. Talk about point / counterpoint. Just do it once, of course. The very sound of his voice has always been his most remarkable of talents - even more so than his lyrics.

I thought we got him singing over dance tracks on Dog On a Chain. That was enough for me, thanks.

'Further to the statement on the Morrissey Central website, we can confirm that we have no plans to re-issue the album 'You Are The Quarry' as such a move would be entirely at odds with our 'For Profit' business model'

BMG Worldwide - London November 2023

Here's the official review of You Are The Quarry
  • America 7/10, nice music, ok-ish lyrics
  • Irish Blood, 7/10, good music (if not my cuppa tea), stupid lyrics
  • I have forgiven Jesus, 6/10, horrible arrangement, silly lyrics, but quite a good chorus melody
  • Come back to Camden, 4/10, dismal cliched lyrics (taxi drivers who never stop talking? There's a thing!), grating synth strings, plodding rhythm
  • I'm not sorry, 5/10 just. so. dull.
  • Crashing bores, 5/10, unfunny lyrics, so-so music
  • How can anybody, 3/10, one of the 10 worst songs he's ever sung
  • First of the gang, 9/10, credit where due, it's deservedly one of his most successful ever singles
  • Let me kiss you, 7/10, pleasant enough but that's all
  • All the lazy dykes, 6/10, yeah, OK I guess
  • I like you, 4/10, this song is just horrible although it's quite hard to explain why.
  • You know I couldn't, 8/10. an admittedly strong finish. One of his best waltzes.

well received then?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom