First Morrissey Gigs.

Hey wolve!

Moz 'should' have another album out in 2 years time - which he'll have to tour - so that's not too long to wait?! :)

I have my fingers crossed for you that he plays Belgium!

You should have gone to the gig in Amsterdam last april. However the Amsterdam gig couldn't top the Earl's court gig by far imho. Earl's court was my first introduction to Moz. I went to London mainly to see him, and it was the highlight of my trip. The crowd was morrissey fanatic, HE loved that and anticipated on it (I get the feeling he's easily influenced by a crowd, I take it he's more emotional person then he let's us think), and this could go both ways. My second gig in Amsterdam the crowd didn't work with him at all and it showed. That said the songs he performed on Earl's court were all amazing. And the last gigs were mainly ROTT promotion. That said I think you need to see Moz in England.

First Morrissey gig was glasgow 27/04/06. Day before the gig i had been growing my hair for 3 years with a ponytail about halfway down my back and after some pondering decided to chop it all off into a short quiff-esque (not quite like mozzers) style purely because of moz's comments in the past about ponytails (hates them for anyone who doesn't know). Showed up early and got down on the barrier and chatted briefly with a guy called Hugh (who appears on the end of who put the m in manchester) so big thumbs up to him if he's reading as i believe he said he occasionally visits here.

When Morrissey came on everything ceased to be real. i was about 2-3 metres away from the man yet it felt like there was a giant screen between us- i couldn't believe he was actually there. he looked awesome and i don't believe my eyes gazed anywhere else for the whole time he was onstage. Despite the mixed reviews about the ringleader tour dates there was no way he could have disappointed me- his presence alone was always going to be enough :)
The only thing that could have gone wrong was the crowd and it was a lively crowd and pretty much all positive comments on here the next day along with a full recording on mp3 with a few of my "wooos" on it although unfortunately you can't hear me shouting "not quite" after he said "this song is for the older section of the audience...which is everybody really" before floorboards (I was 19 now 20 and proud member of those occasionally understated new generation of morrissey fans that the critics often forget about- queen is dead was no 2 on the album chart when i was born).

I marvelled and thought back to all the smiths gig tales of stage invasions i'd read about when i counted 6 people throwing themselves at him during the encore while i was jumping up and down (security and gap between stage and barrier were too great an obstacle on this occasion). After the gig- euphoria is too weak a word, i have never been at peace the way i was on my train ride back home to edinburgh that night.

It's true- in many ways my life is now split into "Before Morrissey" and "After Morrissey"

I hope everyone yet to see him feels the same as i did afterwards. Can't wait for the next album and tour as this was the first surge of Morrissey activity i fully apprechiated as i was just starting to listen to the smiths stuff when quarry came out and wasn't sure about moz's solo stuff then. i was doing my smiths homework album at a time in 04- i took ages immersing myself in smiths and most of his solo stuff before i listened to quarry and didnt hear about the tour at the time anyway as before i got into smiths and moz i was hardly even into music at all.

sorry if i rambled, i just had to share it :D

This makes me even more eager to finally see the man!

whoiseuan said:
sorry if i rambled, i just had to share it :D

You ramble in a rather enjoyable fashion, if I may add. ;)

Like you wolve, I've never been to one either. :( In very unfortunate circumstances I wasn't able to see him in 2002 when he came to Australia, and I have serious doubts if he'll ever return here, so whatever happens I'm probably in for a very long wait.

great thread btw..

1st time was at blackburn in 1991. i remember having finished work and my mate outside his door waiting for me to walk past to tell me about the advert in the paper saying he was playing there, just 5 miles away. we had to get tickets - and did. got fairly close and pretty sweaty and it was fantastic. coz it's been a while i dont remember too much about it but that it was over too quickly and i couldn't believe the number of moz fans pilling into mcdonalds after the gig!

last time was again at blackburn in may and got right to the front (after his shirt was thrown) but old age (!) and the w*nker who told moz to f- off spoilt it for me as moz stopped talking to the audience and i was too sweaty and tired to bounce!

best moz gig was at blackpool in 2004 because the set-list wasn't fully known so there were some surprises. moz was funny and rubber ring was fantastic (and the audience sing-along to tialtngo).

i've been lucky enough to see him at battersea as well.

i would love to see him again - i realise he is touring the latest album but felt the last tour was too album heavy, especially with such a big back catalogue. i dont expect him to change the set-list everynight at every venue but some songs don't work too well live. best this tour i think was pigsty and at last i am born, from the album and hsin sounded great.

best to take in the atmosphere (usually) and hope moz is on form. if he sings one of your favourites then that makes it more special, obv.

best moz gig was at blackpool in 2004 because the set-list wasn't fully known so there were some surprises. moz was funny and rubber ring was fantastic (and the audience sing-along to tialtngo).

Blackpool 2004 was tops!!! He even replied to me my retort of "At number 37" when he said "we are releasing a new single so please buy it and get it into the charts."

"I heard that!"

and all the other stuff... A grand night out in Blackpool!!! Apart from the racist Burnley fans singing I'd rather be a Taffy than a Turk. Which wasn't in/ around the gig I hasten to add.

My first gig was 91, the Doncaster Dome, although it was my first ever gig by anyone and so I didnt really get down the front or anything as I would later do at a few Moz gigs, it was still quite amazing seeing him for the first time in the flesh.

Someone started at my place of work last week who claims to have seen the Smiths in 84, I said it was like someone starting who had actually slept with my wife, I was quite bitter!

Girlfriend said:
Hey there littlecharmer - if you're still on this forum!

I went to my first Moz gig in May - at the Hall for Cornwall in Truro! And I haven't been the same since!

I've also been on this forum since then, and I've met loads of nice people to share stories with. :D

Tell us how you got on.

Hey Girlfriend- just noticed your post that said you lived in redruth- that's cool- Yeah one my teachers went to that gig; he said it was fantastic! Actually, I think he's a dead ringer for Morrissey myself but yeah anyway.
Wish I went...
But as of yet I haven't managed to get to any of the gigs... I've either had difficulty getting to the venu or money problems :( .
Anway, sorry if that was a little off topic.

My first Morrissey gig was the very first show of KILL UNCLE tour in the National stadium in my hometown Dublin. Pre internet days what was he going to play was there going to be any smiths songs who were the musicians going to be??????. All led to a very exciting evening. I became a fan after Viva Hate so never got to see The Smiths live.

The gig was fantastic the venue was fantastic the irish crowd were fantastic. Morrissey looked and sounded great but his voice has defo improved with age as has the bands playing. It was all a bit all over the place stage invasions every song. The stage floor covered in flowers.

in all a night to remember forever.

what made the night so special was not knowing the setlist. Having seen him 4 times this tour and 4 times last tour you know what he is going to play. THe internet is great for info but sometimes take away the suspense of a gig

But 15 years after this great gig I am still as passionate about this unique singer and music

Back
Top Bottom