Favorite Lines or Passages from "Autobiography"

He shouldn't. He looks like Adonis at his biggest. Rawr. :horny: Eat. Cake.

morrissey_MX004172009_1.jpg

I bet he would cringe at those love handles. You don't get it as you don't see being overweight to be a character flaw--obviously. He does.

Weight isn't even a character flaw.

you don't know that.

i think his problem stems more from a surface/vanity problem. i wouldn't claim that to be a fact though.

You are correct. I don't know for a fact that he considers being overweight to be a character flaw. But all evidence--his own words--suggests that he does. It goes back to that whole preference thing. He can have a preference for thin. Great. But he has a hatred for fat. That is what he writes about. Not a passion for thinness but his disgust with fatness. This is an emotionally charged issue for him. He really cares about it. Why? Because it comes down to values... morals, character.

Weight isn't even a character flaw.

I agree 100%.

You are correct. I don't know for a fact that he considers being overweight to be a character flaw. But all evidence--his own words--suggests that he does. It goes back to that whole preference thing. He can have a preference for thin. Great. But he has a hatred for fat. That is what he writes about. Not a passion for thinness but his disgust with fatness. This is an emotionally charged issue for him. He really cares about it. Why? Because it comes down to values... morals, character.

A person's weight has absolutely nothing to do with values, morals, and character. A person's weight is a number on a scale. That's all it is. My Uncle has cerebal palsy and has never been able to speak or walk. His arms are twisted into his chest and his knees usually stay close together. When we're out and about some people look at him with disgust. He doesn't give a f*** what they think or how they feel about him.

Question- Because my Uncle's body is shaped differently than most folks does that mean he is lacking in values, morals, and character?

It doesn't matter what size someone is or how much they eat. Its ridiculous to tie the two together. No one is even close to perfect in the values, morals, character department anyway. This is my opinion.

I'm not sure why Morrissey is so overwhelmed with the issue of body weight. Dude needs to take a chill pill.

I agree 100%.

A person's weight has absolutely nothing to do with values, morals, and character. A person's weight is a number on a scale. That's all it is. My Uncle has cerebal palsy and has never been able to speak or walk. His arms are twisted into his chest and his knees usually stay close together. When we're out and about some people look at him with disgust. He doesn't give a f*** what they think or how they feel about him.

Question- Because my Uncle's body is shaped differently than most folks does that mean he is lacking in values, morals, and character?

It doesn't matter what size someone is or how much they eat. Its ridiculous to tie the two together. No one is even close to perfect in the values, morals, character department anyway. This is my opinion.

I'm not sure why Morrissey is so overwhelmed with the issue of body weight. Dude needs to take a chill pill.

Last time I checked gluttony was one of the seven deadly sins. So somebody--the Catholic Church, anyhow--thinks it is. It is a controversial topic. There is no definitive answer. There are those who argue that being overweight is immoral. It affects society... health care costs, seats on planes, blocking exits in emergencies, etc. Then there are those that say weight is just about aesthetics.

I take issue with your body shape example. Your uncle has a disease for which he has no control. He did nothing to get that way. Yet, overweight persons' actions--overeating--directly cause their bodies to be large and shapeless.

Is drug addiction a moral issue? If a person is addicted to meth, is that a character flaw? If their teeth are rotten from smoking meth, can we judge that as disgusting on moral grounds or just aesthetics?

Food addiction is no different. Is it a disease? A moral shortcoming? Lack of will power? Is lack of will power a moral issue? A character flaw? Is laziness? If not, what is? If we label something as a disease does it exempt it from being a moral issue--a character flaw?

Would weight be a moral issue if one was overfeeding in an impoverished society where most don't have enough to eat and are rail thin? Is overfeeding OK in rich countries where there is excess but not in poor ones where there is a shortage of food? Is it relative to the circumstances? Is it greed when one is taking more than their SHARE but not greed when taking more than they NEED in order to survive? What is the difference?

Have no answers. Just asking.

Last edited:
Many people consider weight to be a moral issue. Moz is one of those people. But he doesn't just hold others to high standards. He expects the same for himself--thinness.

This is a rather bold and unintelligent assumption. Playing the Catholic card in your argument would suggest that if he were so moved by fighting the vice of gluttony he'd be equally moved to fight the vice of vanity which makes up the essence of your very argument. :squiffy:

This is a rather bold and unintelligent assumption. Playing the Catholic card in your argument would suggest that if he were so moved by fighting the vice of gluttony he'd be equally moved to fight the vice of vanity which makes up the essence of your very argument. :squiffy:

I brought up the Seven Deadly Sins to demonstrate to Justin how gluttony IS considered to be a moral issue in some religions/moral codes. To show that in fact, some people DO think it is a character flaw. He seemed convinced it was not plausible at all.

"A person's weight has absolutely nothing to do with values, morals, and character. A person's weight is a number on a scale. That's all it is."

I provided evidence to refute his claim. That others beg to differ.

I don't know for certain if Morrissey considers fatness to be a character flaw. And neither do you. You can't claim he doesn't anymore than I can claim he does.

I definitely believe, however, that he sees thin as a virtue. Ahahahahahaha.

I brought up the Seven Deadly Sins to demonstrate to Justin how gluttony IS considered to be a moral issue in some religions/moral codes. To show that in fact, some people DO think it is a character flaw. He seemed convinced it was not plausible at all.

"A person's weight has absolutely nothing to do with values, morals, and character. A person's weight is a number on a scale. That's all it is."

I provided evidence to refute his claim. That others beg to differ.

I don't know for certain if Morrissey considers fatness to be a character flaw. And neither do you. You can't claim he doesn't anymore than I can claim he does.

I definitely believe, however, that he sees thin as a virtue. Ahahahahahaha.

I'd hazard to guess he views a fugly face as the worst of vices and I can lose weight sooooooo, sucks to be you.

*nod to winston churchill*

Last edited:
I'd hazard to guess he views a fugly face as the worst of vices and I can lose weight sooooooo, sucks to be you.

*nod to oliver cromwell*

InsultFail by any reasonable person's standards on this planet. You might be considered pretty in Oompa Loompa land, however.

PS- If you could (that is, had the will power to) lose weight, you would have been thin long ago.

InsultFail by any reasonable person's standards on this planet. You might be considered pretty in Oompa Loompa land, however.

PS- If you could (that is, had the will power to) lose weight, you would have been thin long ago.

I don't really care what size I am or what size anyone is for that matter. It's not about will power or failure, I think I am beautiful just the way I am.

I think if you were trying to get laid you'd care.

I wouldn't be f***ing the right guy if the condition was I be someone other than who I am.

You keep saying you're a free thinker but you demonstrate the psychological makeup of someone bludgeoned by inconsequential societal pressure.

I wouldn't be f***ing the right guy if the condition was I be someone other than who I am.

You keep saying you're a free thinker but you demonstrate the psychological makeup of someone bludgeoned by inconsequential societal pressure.

Do you admire the male form? Especially when it is toned? It is art. This attraction to a fit body has nothing to do with societal pressure. If you set your standards low for what you expect in a partner, then you can have low standards for yourself. You can get that guy who will sleep with you as he will be just like you. But if you want a hottie, you better step it up a notch.

Do high school dropouts marry medical doctors? Intelligent people marry simpletons? Not often. Like attracts like.

You can stay as you are. You were the one saying you could lose weight. Not me.

Do you admire the male form? Especially when it is toned? It is art. This attraction to a fit body has nothing to do with societal pressure. If you set your standards low for what you expect in a partner, then you can have low standards for yourself. You can get that guy who will sleep with you as he will be just like you. But if you want a hottie, you better step it up a notch.

Do high school dropouts marry medical doctors? Intelligent people marry simpletons? Not often. Like attracts like.

You can stay as you are. You were the one saying you could lose weight. Not me.

You really don't get it, do you?

You really don't get it, do you?

I get it. The lie you tell yourself: He should love me just as I am or he is not worth loving. The truth: You fear intimacy. You don't make any effort to be attractive to the opposite sex because you fear rejection. Safer to be alone. That way you can't be hurt. And so you remain a bit overweight and unkempt in order to keep would be suitors at arms length. You say you want unconditional love. There is no such thing. Love is conditional. All love, including romantic. You are suffering from arrested development. Still searching for daddy's approval. Ain't gonna get it from daddy. Or any man. Time to grow up.

Back
Top Bottom