Does Morrissey need a new sound

What, he's aping Morrissey's voice, but doesn't sound like him? Making an unsuccessful attempt then? How do you know he's trying, exactly? ;)

The music (at least on the past three albums, which is what I know) is totally on the side of anything Morrissey's done, as far as I can tell. There's lots of associations (from Jim Reeves to Frank Signature to Pulp to Elvis), but Morrissey has never once been one of them, for my part. Same goes for the voice, which it would frankly never occur to me to compare to Moz's in any way or sense. Where and how do you hear that?

cheers

This is silly

I think you can tell someone is aiming for a certain feel or sound even if they don't get there.
Do you not think some of his backing tracks, words and inflections are not similar to Morrissey's in anyway?

Strange, I noticed it first go. Even non Morrissey fans have mentioned it, in reviews on the radio etc etc

As I say, I quite like some of Hoarys songs, I just find him a tad limited.
I expected he is perfect for people who dislike Morrissey's more Homo leanings- to put things crudely.

Last edited:
This is silly

I think you can tell someone is aiming for a certain feel or sound even if they don't get there.

Theoretically yes, but I just don't see how that is supposed to be the case with Hawley. Firstly because he seems to me to arrive where's he's aiming, and secondly where's arriving doesn't sound remotely in the direction of Morrissey to me. Could you imagine Morrissey doing a song like "Open up your door", for instance? I can't. The harmonics just aren't right, and not the feel either.

Do you not think some of his backing tracks, words and inflections are not similar to Morrissey's in anyway?

Nope. Not one bit, as far as I have noticed. Do you have any specific examples? I'm not being rethorical, I would actually quite like to hear those similarities. It wouldn't detract from Hawley's stature in my eyes - I think his music stands on solid ground in any case. And if I can live with getting Jim Reeves vibes when listening to him, a few Morrissey inflections isn't going to turn me off. :)

Strange, I noticed it first go. Even non Morrissey fans have mentioned it, in reviews on the radio etc etc

Well, that's subjectivity for you. No right or wrong here, as such.

As I say, I quite like some of Hoarys songs, I just find him a tad limited.
I expected he is perfect for people who dislike Morrissey's more Homo leanings- to put things crudely.

Now, that is silly.

cheers

Last edited:
Theoretically yes, but I just don't see how that is supposed to be the case with Hawley. Firstly because he seems to me to arrive where's he's aiming, and secondly where's arriving doesn't sound remotely in the direction of Morrissey to me. Could you imagine Morrissey doing a song like "Open up your door", for instance? I can't. The harmonics just aren't right, and not the feel either.

Nope. Not one bit, as far as I have noticed. Do you have any specific examples? I'm not being rethorical, I would actually quite like to hear those similarities. It wouldn't detract from Hawley's stature in my eyes - I think his music stands on solid ground in any case. And if I can live with getting Jim Reeves vibes when listening to him, a few Morrissey inflections isn't going to turn me off. :)

Well, that's subjectivity for you. No right or wrong here, as such.

Now, that is silly.

cheers

I will try to remember the tracks and get back to you.

the "Now, that is silly" made me giggle

There's no such thing as too much slide guitar. :love:

Re: Does Morrissey needs a new sound

i would love some piano......even though rufus wainwright voice is not my abslolute fave he writes lovely songs-so rufus..

i also would love some orchestra...

100% agree that's exactly why I liked Ring leader of the Tormentors. The orchestral, piano pieces were lovely unlike Years of Refusal distorted guitars and music that is layered and overproduced to whithin an inch of it's life.
there is a thread named what complimets morrissey`s voice best.

i would love him to sing to songs in a crooning kind of way.....to orchestra or music composed in a kind of 60ties pop(the 60ties song he likes were also orchestrated)
like a 21th century sinatra..but he is too much in love with rock`n roll to ever goes that way (completely)..
instead of stepping away from music as he had spoke about to do in the near future..*sniff* ....completely he could step into that direction..but not singing only the old classics as most of singers too when they reach that age or older,,but rather new compositions. in that style..
general downtempo songs ...see how wonderful it works if he sings songs like seasick and dont have to yell against the music....

there is also more suggestions in there like jazz
http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?p=1186909#post1186909
or if he steps away from music:
also there are artists like *blixa bargeld* and henry rollllins who making performances without the classical back up of bands-just themselves and a microphone ..with moz liking the music hall era and being such a quick witted man it would be perfect if he does that "an evening with morrissey" talking...where he preferably in plushy theatres with a history(germany: brecht, marlene etc, uk: noël coward, gracie fields, george formby were he just talks and maybe also interact with the audience...

*rede /speech
in his one man performance "Rede / Speech", Blixa Bargeld, lead singer of Einstürzende Neuabauten explores the boundaries of language and music. The audience bears witness to the metamorphosis of sentences, words and syllables into acoustic architecture, resounding spheres and cacophonous monstrosities.
The equipment used is reduced to a minimum: microphones, effect equipment and foot pedals, monitor boxes and two loud speakers, That's all that Blixa Bargeld needs in order to produce a complex sound texture from a simple sentence or mere word with the possibilities of his voice alone.
At the beginning the technical apparatus is briefly explained and demonstrated; the improvisation process then becomes transparent within its definite structure. There appear to be no secrets. The intelligent entertainment in which Blixa Bargeld's listeners become entangled however, develops amazing dynamism and intensity. A peek into the laboratory of a vocal alchemist.
here- a longer reviewhttp://www.blixa-bargeld.com/r_speech.html
he also does a lot of general talk beside the performance and really interacts,even works with the audience to create sounds

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom