Did Morrissey get his ear pierced?

Mozza220559

Surmontil 50
Whilst uploading some Moz singles to my iPod, I couldn't help but notice on the cover to the single for "The More You Ignore Me...", Mozza's right ear lobe looks pierced.

It looks like it's healed over and I'd imagine if it was pierced, that he'd got it done during his teenage years when he was into Patti Smith and the New York Dolls, et al, but I just wondered if anyone had any backstory to this?

I'd never noticed it myself until recently and I was a bit surprised to see it, as no-one ever seems to mention it, not even Moz himself.

Here's a little comparison shot of his right ear, you can see a small hole at the bottom of his ear:

Untitled-4.jpg

(Sorry if this is hardly discussion-worthy, but there's been worse threads on here, that's for sure)

Yes. It is pierced. You can see him wearing an earring in a few Smiths clips. I don't have time to find it at the moment, but the Sheila Take A Bow on TOTP video features a bejeweled Moz ear.

I was casually looking through 'Mozipedia' this afternoon and read a section on The Smiths final live TV appearance on The Tube in April 1987.

It said that rumours then of a rift between Morrissey & Marr could be dismissed as the duo wore a pair of earings. Marr on his left and Morrissey on his right. So he was pierced at least in 1987.

'Mozipedia' is turning into a valuable source:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

I was casually looking through 'Mozipedia' this afternoon and read a section on The Smiths final live TV appearance on The Tube in April 1987.

It said that rumours then of a rift between Morrissey & Marr could be dismissed as the duo wore a pair of earings. Marr on his left and Morrissey on his right. So he was pierced at least in 1987.

'Mozipedia' is turning into a valuable source:guitar:

Jukebox Jury

I'm ordering that ASAP

Love PTxx.

there is a catholic tradition that girls got their ears pierced as it should have been good for their eyes - silly, but true. Don't know if that is a custom for boys too. But they would need good eyes too, wouldn't they?

Yes, but just the one eye? His right eye? Why would God want all girls to have two, perfect eyes but all boys just to have one decent eye? Unless they get both ears pierced and end up looking daft?

Bloody religion, grr!

I never heard that tradition. When I was in high school, it was significant if a man had his left or right ear pierced because one side meant he's gay and t'other he's straight. Trouble is, no one could ever remember which ear supposedly signified the gay-straight status, and anyway the reverse was said to be true in England. It all devolves into confusion.

So the unpierced earlobe-people would be celibate and wearing glasses ...

Then there was this renaissance custom that men should wear just one pearl earring ....
*wanders off to find pics*

left ear lobe
Charles I (1600-1649),
http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/largerimage.php?search=ap&subj=47;Jewellery&page=5&rNo=47

Robert Carr, Earl of Somerset 1611
http://www.npg.org.uk/collections/search/largerimage.php?search=ap&npgno=4260&rNo=

So maybe Moz is not that that type of renaissance man.
But:
Are we sure he doesn't have a pierced right one?

Last edited:
Then there was this renaissance custom that men should wear just one pearl earring ....

better a pearl earring than a pearl necklace

Back
Top Bottom