David Moss (son of Joe Moss) / Twitter mentions Morrissey and archival Smiths data

Read the full set of tweets at time of posting:
40 years since #TheSmiths exploded, I think it's about time Joe Moss had his right of reply to Morrissey's damning claims. After my Dad died, I found some words written about him on Morrissey fan sites, a portion of these fans were dissing him, calling him names
That's hard to read, people dissing your dead parent, people who don't know him, people following the lead from Morrissey, who barely knew him, but decided to immortalise him anyway by writing negatively about him, so casting my Dad that way in the eyes of the Morrissey faithful
Pretty nasty stuff, and we've never replied to it, but the gist was, among other things, that Joe Moss wanted to replace Morrissey in the Smiths. This does seem ludicrous and paranoid, but what if it were true? why would he want to get rid of Morrissey?
what could Morrissey have done that warranted his replacement? Surely there were reasons, I'd love to know what Morrissey thinks about this? #TheSmiths #Morrissey
In a twist of fate, it turns out that there are two lines of Morrisseys in our family genealogy, the Grandchildren of Joe Moss are Morrisseys down 2 grandparent lines, so is this an ancient Tipperary quarrel? I'd love to know what he thinks about this? See, when Johnny, Andy...
and Mike were living together in my Dad's house in. Heaton Chapel, Morrissey was distant, oft found on the other side of town, Altrincham and Sale way, pursuing his interests, driving in his car, hanging out with a guy who I met later on, who was the same age as me at the time
so i never got to know him, my Dad didn't want me to get to know him at the time, he told me not to get too close to Morrissey, i was a bit shocked, i wanted to get close, but i heeded his words, which is sad as I was/am a massive fan. Now I'd just love to find out why SM wrote
what he did about my dad without any evidence, damning someone on a whim without anything to back it up. I have my evidence as to why, potentially, there may have been some issues around Morrissey's character, but it would be cruel to dump them without some balance and context?
but of course Morrissey did this to my Dad, damned him, and when he died, strangers insulted him, spitting on his grave for Morrissey, who daren't come close. What was it Morrissey? You're a pale man and paling still, the least my father deserves is a right of reply
It's true that my Dad was heartbroken when he left the Smiths fold, I don't blame Morrissey, or anyone else, for that, that was his own doing, but as I said, reading insults from people who didn't know him, insults bequeathed by Morrissey, who barely knew him, is really hard!
he certainly wasn't a saint, but he was an angel to the Smiths for a time, Morrissey knows and should be grateful, he wrote endless gratitude to Joe and Janet once upon a time, but then pissed on that sentiment by writing poisonous lines, creating a negative image of Joe Moss
Thankfully Johnny did the Joe Moss hagiography, for balance, for justice, so we get the 2 sides, the angelic Joe that Johnny knew or the demonic Joe that Morrissey barely knew. I think if you write about people who aren't yourself or your family, you're cursing yourself too
tbc
i mean, the curse can also be a charm, words are so powerful that way, what I mean is, if you choose to damn someone in prose, immortalise them in a text you claim to be definitive, you're also cursing them and so invoking a curse against yourself. Be charming!
I'm an archive and archivist, I have so much data about The Smiths, and also the physical evidence that my Dad, also an archive and an archivist, left to us. He left me with many insights and quotes, opinions and moods, but I'd never just drop something without consideration...
there has to be a connection to the universe. I could quote my father on The Smiths, and Morrissey, but I'd have to fit that into an exploded drawing of everything, give it life and meaning, and be sure to write with love uppermost, so I'd never do what Morrissey did to my Dad...
and this tweet thread is a part of that exploded drawing
I saw and heard what Joe Moss brought to The Smiths, have you seen early photos? The Smiths visual style evolved through my Dad who was all about style, who had clothes shops and a factory, who walked around Paris getting style ideas from the Parisian youth..
he was influenced by preppy fashion, 50s teen fashions, Beatnik style, the French New Wave, the situationists, Warhol and the Factory, but more than the knowhow was the ability to dress, and to dress others
his record collection was full of the roots of the sounds that inspired the Smiths, once they had access to that collection, the sound became historic
he bankrolled them too, we have all the receipts, even the bill for the daffodils so many artefacts, a lovely letter from Morrissey's mum to my Dad, thanking him for all he'd done for her son. He wasn't rich, things were sold off, policies cashed in, favours bartered...
and The Smiths happened.

Related item:

This seems to have followed on from the Primal Scream exposé and it sounds like this person reads Solo.

Morrissey's portrayal of Joe Moss in Autobio was cruel and strange, it's true, and maybe David could reach out to him privately to discuss it - maybe he should have done that eight years ago (?) but this is not the way. Unearthing this old grudge in public, just after Andy Rourke's passing when there might be a scintilla of hope that the Smiths could put away their bitterness... no. This is stirring the pot to no good end.

Last edited:
"Behind my back, Joe Moss has coerced Johnny, Andy and Mike into axing the singer, and Joe carts all three buffos off to a legal firm in order to sharpen the blade against the Morrissey monolith."

I mean, it's paranoid verging on madness, it says more about M than Joe Moss.

Honestly, where’s the story here? Feels like a slightly desperate attempt to get noticed by Morrissey. Thread went nowhere. Should be ignored by everybody in the Morrissey camp - both private and public.

I mean, it's paranoid verging on madness, it says more about M than Joe Moss.
Indeed. All I got from reading 'Autobiography' was more confirmation of Morrissey's obsessive jealousy and paranoia towards anyone (other than him) getting close to Johnny, and it clearly affecting his judgement at several points. Other than the most die-hard sycophants, I expect most fans would take Morrissey's words with a healthy pinch of salt, and accept he's a very unreliable narrator.

That said, going on a rambling Twitter rants doesn't do anyone any good, but a lot of us have done it, and if someone is hurting over their father's reputation it's at least somewhat understandable.

Honestly, where’s the story here? Feels like a slightly desperate attempt to get noticed by Morrissey. Thread went nowhere. Should be ignored by everybody in the Morrissey camp - both private and public.

The story appears to be that Morrissey wrote something about Davids Dad that might not have been fair and led to fans being quite nasty, so he wants to put the record straight. Nothing wrong with that.

The whole set of tweets as an 'unroll' (which is new to me):

(full text added as spoiler to OP).

The story appears to be that Morrissey wrote something about Davids Dad that might not have been fair and led to fans being quite nasty, so he wants to put the record straight. Nothing wrong with that.
But even in here, home of the diehards, I never saw anyone insult Joe Moss. Like the other poster says, most people thought that story was absurd and took it with a pinch of salt. Why would someone bring this up out of the blue, eight years later?

Wow, that's just a really strange Twitter thread. I mean fair play to the guy, he's 100% entitled to his opinions and his dad was utterly pivotal in getting The Smiths off the ground, but as has been noted already, above, was there really a lot of "nasty" stuff written on here back in 2015? And why wait so long to bring this up?

Anyway, I hope he's able to share some of his "archive" stuff at some point, I'm sure people would love to see it!

The whole set of tweets as an 'unroll' (which is new to me).

(full text added as spoiler to OP).

he bankrolled them too, we have all the receipts, even the bill for the daffodils so many artefacts, a lovely letter from Morrissey's mum to my Dad, thanking him for all he'd done for her son. He wasn't rich, things were sold off, policies cashed in, favours bartered...’

Interesting and sweet how the mother steps in for her son’s shortcomings, probably because she knew full well that he wouldn’t or didn’t give Joe the proper thanks(?) Then again, she may have been the kind of person that recognized Joe’s kindness, and would have thanked Joe regardless of her son being grateful or not.

Not only would you want to take Autobiography with a pinch of salt, you'd want to layer in scraps of salty sea-weed between each page. At least 100 pages of it was self-pitying put-downs and whinging. Maybe that's why I've only read it once. I don't like self-indulgent pity, unless it's me doing the ranting.

Not only would you want to take Autobiography with a pinch of salt, you'd want to layer in scraps of salty sea-weed between each page. At least 100 pages of it was self-pitying put-downs and whinging. Maybe that's why I've only read it once. I don't like self-indulgent pity, unless it's me doing the ranting.

yes, but let’s not throw the baby out with the (salty) bathwater. ;)

I think what Morrissey's mum wrote in her letter was "God will thank you for what you're doing for my son". That's a quote I remember reading somewhere, probably Johnny Rogan's 'Morrissey & Marr'. Morrissey's depiction of Joe Moss in his autobiography is uncharitable. And I doubt that Joe wanted to actually replace Morrissey himself. But this post from David Moss actually endorses, rather than undermines, the idea that there was some prospect of Morrissey being kicked out of the band in the early days, and replaced by another singer. There clearly was a distance between Morrissey and 'the other three'/Moss, which both camps attest to. This wasn't perceived for a long-time, because Morrissey and Marr both presented themselves as a 'Lennon & McCartney' type close-knit duo, which I don't think they ever were - even in the very early days, Angie was probably a crucial mediator. And I don't think the other three quite realised what an asset Morrissey was to the group. Sure, he got them publicity, but a lot of it was negative. And they'd had some Top 20 singles, but perhaps Joe and the the other three felt that Morrissey was hindering them rather than helping them attain greater success. Add to that just how dark and dodgy a lot of his early lyrics were, with paedophilia, and this at a time when there had been a serious movement to legitimise paedophilia, which had made itself know, I think, in the pages of the NME, and it's easy to imagine how Joe may have felt that Morrissey was a ticking bomb.

I could see some misunderstanding at one point with Morrissey being the singer. Remember he was very different for the time, groundbreaking and ahead of his time. That is NEVER met with open arms by anyone. The ideas Morrissey was pushing (vegetarianism) and the images (male nude) singing about (Moors Murders/possible pedophilia) were very out there!

I met Joe when he was managing Marion. He was OVERLY protective of Jamie the singer. So, maybe this is something he learned after The Smiths? Sweet man and I was heartbroken at his death years back. Just lovely!

I have attached a personal list of Joe Moss fave Smiths songs. This is the original from his hand that was printed in issue 7 of Wilde About Morrissey a fanzine. Anyone remember those?

Attachments

• JM.jpg
    JM.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
"I'm an archive and archivist, I have so much data about The Smiths,
and also the physical evidence that my Dad, also an archive and an
archivist, left to us. He left me with many insights and quotes, opinions
and moods, ..."

It's time to open up the archive and set the record straight.
It'd be good for David to get Joe's info out there.

I think any manager would at least consider the possibility that a weird lead singer was holding the band back.

On the paedophilia thing you probably have to remember the times - the gay age of consent was 21 & it was enforced. Morrissey & James Maker would have caused some eyebrows to raise being over 21 while the rest of the band was 19/18 & they went to a gay club for their first gig.

The first time we played together, we recorded the demos for Handsome Devil and Miserable Lie. That was also the first time I met Morrissey and Mike [Joyce]. Within two weeks, I played my first gig, in a tiny gay club called the Manhattan Sound. I was very nervous. We all were... Morrissey was this very quiet, unassuming person, but as soon as he went on he became something different. It took your breath away. He had a pocket full of confetti and threw it over the audience, which none of us expected. James Maker introduced the band in French and danced wearing stilettos and playing maracas. He was the gay Bez. But I think we realised it was gilding the lily a bit; we already had a frontman who was this strange, exotic creature no one could understand.

Plus the Fountain/Handsome scandal, male nudes on record covers, Morrissey telling a gay magazine This Charming Man was about normalising male relationships.... & on it would go...

I think what Morrissey's mum wrote in her letter was "God will thank you for what you're doing for my son". That's a quote I remember reading somewhere, probably Johnny Rogan's 'Morrissey & Marr'. Morrissey's depiction of Joe Moss in his autobiography is uncharitable. And I doubt that Joe wanted to actually replace Morrissey himself. But this post from David Moss actually endorses, rather than undermines, the idea that there was some prospect of Morrissey being kicked out of the band in the early days, and replaced by another singer. There clearly was a distance between Morrissey and 'the other three'/Moss, which both camps attest to. This wasn't perceived for a long-time, because Morrissey and Marr both presented themselves as a 'Lennon & McCartney' type close-knit duo, which I don't think they ever were - even in the very early days, Angie was probably a crucial mediator. And I don't think the other three quite realised what an asset Morrissey was to the group. Sure, he got them publicity, but a lot of it was negative. And they'd had some Top 20 singles, but perhaps Joe and the the other three felt that Morrissey was hindering them rather than helping them attain greater success. Add to that just how dark and dodgy a lot of his early lyrics were, with paedophilia, and this at a time when there had been a serious movement to legitimise paedophilia, which had made itself know, I think, in the pages of the NME, and it's easy to imagine how Joe may have felt that Morrissey was a ticking bomb.
This. What Joe Moss’ son wrote there only lends credence to what Morrissey had said? Seems quite clear he didn’t really like Moz? Didn’t want his kid near him?? It sure looks like Moz had good reason to feel the way he did about Moss and that his story about Moss wanting to replace him might have a basis in reality?

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom