Do you like the interview?

• yes

Votes: 12 70.6%
  • no

Votes: 5 29.4%
  • don't know

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
i never claimed to be a vegetarian. At the moment I don't practise what i believe to be right, thats fair to say. It a tough vow to make and when its made i won't go back.

You don't have to be a vegetarian to be a hypocrite, you just have to act in opposition of your beliefs...and you are, which makes you a hypocrite.

Controversial statements like the comparison of abattoirs to what happened in Germany only hold water, where debate is concerned, in terms of being controversial. The statement itself is so insensitive and stupid that to deconstruct it almost lends a false credence to the notion of profundity on Morrissey's part...which I no longer believe is a trait he possesses.

This is, at the outset, a sickening statement, until you take into context who it's coming from and where he is at in his career and why he is saying things like this. And, when these circumstances are factored in, it's not offensive anymore...it's laughably absurd and nobody should be bothered by it.

I am not saying that Morrissey was joking, nor am I saying that he should be excused for making the remark. Personally, I'd love nothing more than for the Bear Jew to introduce Morrissey to a Louisville Slugger, the fun way. But what I'm saying is, shit can only fall from an asshole.

And that's what his statement is, and that's what he is. So, be upset about it and debate it and be troubled by how horrible it was for him to say, and you're right, but what's the point? Stupid bitter insensitivity is all he's capable of these days. It's silly to get upset about. He's gasping for air.

The guy isn't shocking or offensive...he's just pathetic.

Controversial statements like the comparison of abattoirs to what happened in Germany only hold water, where debate is concerned, in terms of being controversial. The statement itself is so insensitive and stupid that to deconstruct it almost lends a false credence to the notion of profundity on Morrissey's part...which I no longer believe is a trait he possesses.

This is, at the outset, a sickening statement, until you take into context who it's coming from and where he is at in his career and why he is saying things like this. And, when these circumstances are factored in, it's not offensive anymore...it's laughably absurd and nobody should be bothered by it.

I am not saying that Morrissey was joking, nor am I saying that he should be excused for making the remark. Personally, I'd love nothing more than for the Bear Jew to introduce Morrissey to a Louisville Slugger, the fun way. But what I'm saying is, shit can only fall from an asshole.

And that's what his statement is, and that's what he is. So, be upset about it and debate it and be troubled by how horrible it was for him to say, and you're right, but what's the point? Stupid bitter insensitivity is all he's capable of these days. It's silly to get upset about. He's gasping for air.

The guy isn't shocking or offensive...he's just pathetic.

^^ doesn't understand the debate. The statement raises questions about the value placed on life and the justification for killing, sure its provocative - well spotted.

I didn't pretend to be a vegetarian and i didn't lie - I publicly and freely admitted to eating meat
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypocrisy

Q: Did you say, in more or less words, that you morally believe eating meat is wrong?
A: Yes.

Q: Do you eat meat?

That makes you a hypocrite.
You can post all the links you like, and you can keep replying all you like...it doesn't change the fact that you can't grasp the simple concept of hypocrisy.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/hypocrisy
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypocrisy
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrisy

Q: Did you say, in more or less words, that you morally believe eating meat is wrong?

Q: Do you eat meat?

That makes you a hypocrite.
You can post all the links you like, and you can keep replying all you like...it doesn't change the fact that you can't grasp the simple concept of hypocrisy.

http://www.learnersdictionary.com/search/hypocrisy
http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/hypocrisy
http://www.thefreedictionary.com/hypocrisy
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hypocrisy

did you read my link it explains it pretty clearly:

Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14:

Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself.

Thus, an alcoholic's advocating temperance, for example, would not be considered an act of hypocrisy as long as the alcoholic made no pretense of constant sobriety.

I don't really mind what you call me, I am what I am.

Last edited:
did you read my link it expalins it pretty clearly:

Hypocrisy is not simply failing to practice those virtues that one preaches. Samuel Johnson made this point when he wrote about the misuse of the charge of "hypocrisy" in Rambler No. 14:

Nothing is more unjust, however common, than to charge with hypocrisy him that expresses zeal for those virtues which he neglects to practice; since he may be sincerely convinced of the advantages of conquering his passions, without having yet obtained the victory, as a man may be confident of the advantages of a voyage, or a journey, without having courage or industry to undertake it, and may honestly recommend to others, those attempts which he neglects himself.[2]

Thus, an alcoholic's advocating temperance, for example, would not be considered an act of hypocrisy as long as the alcoholic made no pretense of constant sobriety.

I don't really mind what you call me I am what I am

...and what you are is a hypocrite.

Because the world didn't really know what a hypocrite was until Samuel Johnson came along and opened our eyes. Right.

Morrissey is stupid for renouncing his own work.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ doesn't understand the debate. The statement raises questions about the value placed on life and the justification for killing, sure its provocative - well spotted.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that there is no comparing a slaughtered race of people to animals dying so that people can eat.

It's a stupid, hyperbolic argument to begin with. It's retarded. It's too stipid to be provocative. I didn't spot anything provocative because it's just an asshole running his mouth.

In order to be provocative, you have to have a logical framework from which your viewpoint can spring and can realistically expect to be taken seriously. Otherise you're just saying stupid bullshit because you're a f***ed up, bitter old man who'd never had a successful human relationship.

As was said elsewhere by another poster; this is his version of old-ass Madonna pulling her nipple out on stage.

If she was young (if he was still making art and taking his career seriously) her tit would be exciting (his statement would be worth discussing.)

As it is, they are both old pop stars WAY past their peak, doing whatever they can to recapture past glories.

She failed, he REALLY failed. A fifty year old Madonna tit is still (kind of) exciting. A fat goon saying that Jews and animals are the same thing...well, he's just a silly c***.

Yeah, but what I'm saying is that there is no comparing a slaughtered race of people to animals dying so that people can eat.

It's a stupid, hyperbolic argument to begin with. It's retarded. It's too stipid to be provocative. I didn't spot anything provocative because it's just an asshole running his mouth.

In order to be provocative, you have to have a logical framework from which your viewpoint can spring and can realistically expect to be taken seriously. Otherise you're just saying stupid bullshit because you're a f***ed up, bitter old man who'd never had a successful human relationship.

As was said elsewhere by another poster; this is his version of old-ass Madonna pulling her nipple out on stage.

If she was young (if he was still making art and taking his career seriously) her tit would be exciting (his statement would be worth discussing.)

As it is, they are both old pop stars WAY past their peak, doing whatever they can to recapture past glories.

She failed, he REALLY failed. A fifty year old Madonna tit is still (kind of) exciting. A fat goon saying that Jews and animals are the same thing...well, he's just a silly c***.

Firstly the animals death doesn't happen "so that people can eat" - people can eat anyway without the needless death, they are being killed for pleasure not so people can eat.

"saying that Jews and animals are the same thing" - now that is offensive, he isn't talking about Jews at all (plently of other people died in Nazi death camps) he is talking about the value placed on life and factory killing

So Smiler when are you going to go vegetarian? Why haven't you yet?

I was a veggie when i was younger for about 5 years then i changed my mind, got to thinking it was a dog eat dog world. I am think about changing back at the end of this month. I know it sounds strange to pick a day in the future to make a vow like that but i have my (private) reasons to choose that particular day. I think its probably the right thing to do, alot of the people around me (that i am close to) are veggie.

Last edited:
I was a veggie when i was younger for about 5 years then i changed my mind, got to thinking it was a dog eat dog world. I am think about changing back at the end of this month. I know it sounds strange to pick a day in the future to make a vow like that but i have my (private) reasons to choose that particular day. I think its probably the right thing to do, alot of the people around me (that i am close to) are veggie.

Private reasons? That sounds enigmatic.

In an effort to defend Morrissey's cretinous statement you are making yourself look utterly stupid.

P.

I don't see Worm's argument as being overwhelmingly persuasive, at this because he hasn't actually made an argument.

If I have a live animal that I do not need to eat for my own survival, and I kill it and eat it, I'm pretty sure I murdered it. It's not like I stalked it for days and attacked in a fit of rage, but it's dead, it was a violent death, and the only reason for it is because I chose to kill it.

You might not think that is murder, but to think it's obviously not murder, and that no one could ever think it is, is actually not any more reasonable on the face of it.

About the genocide, it's pretty obviously not a flawless parallel but the reason that bothers people isn't so much because animal torture and murder for profit isn't a horrible thing but because you are simply never supposed to compare anything to anything Jewish especially the Holocaust. As Chuck D, "I'm talking about the holocaust, the one still going on." I think that got him some headlines, too.

It's almost impossible to even discuss the subject without offending people. My true belief is that he believes meat is murder, and as far as the holocaust and the animal torture and murder industry, as wrong as that may seem, I'm not totally sure he's exaggerating there. He might totally believe it, and when you get into a different state of mind about all living creatures having the right not to be hurt and killed for profit, it's something that can become a fervent belief and seem just as obvious to the one that believes it as it is wrong to the one that thinks it's stupid.

The only reason it's a bad idea is because it upsets people, confuses people, starts unnecessary trouble, and becomes something else to use by those that say he is racist.

I don't like the Kill Uncle album, however, I really do love "My Love Life" and "Sing your life".

Well.. about Morrissey-solo statement... well.... I have nothing to say.

I realise he's probably not serious, and just using humour to maintain the "public image", but I feel sorry for him when he talks like that. Same goes for the marriage quote - it's so obviously untrue that it verges on parody, coming from a man who has spent his entire career writing songs about how awful it is to be lonely and how love is so difficult to find. He shouldn't scorn the people who are lucky enough to find love, but I guess that's what bitterness does to you. He sounds so defeated throughout this whole interview.

You see a contradiction and/or dishonesty; I do not. I think Morrissey voices a profound conflict in human nature and he believes he sees the truth in it. I think the natural human instinct toward the romantic ideal lives within him and a misty-eyed bit of himself longs for it to be true (and that is voiced as a pure longing in some songs); and yet he knows we are all so profoundly f***ed-up that none of us can be the answer other flawed people think they will find in another. for me there is not a Moz who believes in romance and one who likes to pretend love is false. I think he wishes love and the solace of partnership were true -- that we could find ourselves completed by others; but then he wakes from a dream and finds otherwise....

Back
Top Bottom