Call for papers for upcoming Smiths/Morrissey Symposium

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
Last year's event was terrific, next year's promises to be even better. If you have something you've been yearning to say, and can express it in a suitably academic way, then here's an opportunity.

2q3c9iu.jpg

Cheers to Punky for the heads-up.

Peter

**EDIT** When I said last year, obviously I meant this year. Pfft.

Last edited:
Last year's event was terrific, next year's promises to be even better. If you have something you've been yearning to say, and can express it in a suitably academic way, then here's an opportunity.

2q3c9iu.jpg

Cheers to Punky for the heads-up.

Peter

**EDIT** When I said last year, obviously I meant this year. Pfft.

Thanks Peter :)

It sounds very interesting! I wouldn't mind going to those conferences, Such fascinating subject :D

Was there many people in the audience, when you attended?

Thanks Peter :)

It sounds very interesting! I wouldn't mind going to those conferences, Such fascinating subject :D

Was there many people in the audience, when you attended?

Yes, the auditorium was packed. I'd say 250-300 people.

Peter

Do the authors read their papers to the audience?

Great news that this is being held again next year.I highly recommend attending, and this is coming from someone who spent most of his school days looking out the window wishing I was outside.

Great news that this is being held again next year.I highly recommend attending, and this is coming from someone who spent most of his school days looking out the window wishing I was outside.

Surely it couldn't have been that bad? A pint is in order next May, I'd say.

Peter

Do they allow visuals? A slide projector?

Surely it couldn't have been that bad? A pint is in order next May, I'd say.

Peter

Oh it was.School in Ireland in the 1970's and 1980's was horrible.I still get a shiver when I think about it.Real The Headmasters Ritual stuff.
Count me in for that pint.:)

Let's hear some of your thesii?

Because the discipline of sociology can encompass studying everything that people do, it is a more intensive version of what folk everywhere think from day to day. Morrissey spent a year or two immersed in the subject but not enough that it would qualify him to present a paper at the symposium, as is. Incidentally, the topic of how his reading then entered his song-writing later would prove, I think, a very rewarding focus of examination for someone. In fact one song in particular puts forward some of the most core and succinct questions about society to be found anywhere, viz –
“And if they don't believe us now
Will they ever believe us?
And when you want to Live
How do you start?
Where do you go?
Who do you need to know?”

So what I’m wondering is if the non-professors could somehow be afforded an opportunity to participate more meaningfully this year. Since there is a publication planned, this could include both the scholarly papers, and also a collection of observations, of limited word-count, from other interested parties. This would open up the debate in the spirit of sociology itself, and more than likely prepare the ground for a livelier and more involved discussion section.

Just a suggestion… :guitar:

This is great news. I was at the convention in May and it was pretty interesting. I have to say I thought the presentation by the Australian guy was ridiculous however and still sticks out in my mind as such a disappointment. Hopefully if he does any sort of further publication/presentation on Morrissey in the future he could make it more interesting.

The demand is certainly there for these Morrissey talks. I wonder if we'll see even more at this one :)

This is great news. I was at the convention in May and it was pretty interesting. I have to say I thought the presentation by the Australian guy was ridiculous however and still sticks out in my mind as such a disappointment. Hopefully if he does any sort of further publication/presentation on Morrissey in the future he could make it more interesting.

The demand is certainly there for these Morrissey talks. I wonder if we'll see even more at this one :)

What did the Australian guy have to say?

Back
Top Bottom