Alain Whyte: Band update (June 16, 2023)

Screenshot_20230616-165701.png

1686931063262.jpg

1686931065886.jpg

1686931068090.jpg

Screenshot_20230617-114140.png

Regards,
FWD.

Let me see all my old friends

Let me put my arms around them

Nice to see a recent pic of Spencer. What has he been doing since leaving Morrissey’s band? I admit I know little about him.
I once saw Spencer playing with Scott Mathew around 2010. Totally unexpected.

Simply beyond weird. As much as I like Alain, I would not give any of these musicians the time of day without Morrissey - he always carried them, they never carried him. And including the five-minute Smith for good measure... it is almost surreal.

Whereas Morrissey is singing as well as he ever has but, f*** me, most of the songs are shite.
If only there was some way both sides could come together… Jesse! Sling yer hook!
Lol
Even a bad Moz song is better than the best AW song Take Bonfire Of Teenagers different universe to AWs amateur rubbish
Some say Marr tries to claim smiths as his invention, I don’t think that’s true but AW is definitely trying claim glory he didn’t earn. He plays Marr songs as if he wrote them
I’m in the camp that thinks AW is a chancer tying to get some of King Mozzers magic, trying to copy him It doesn’t work

When Alain’s replacement in the band was announced, there were people close to Alain saying that he and Morrissey parted on good terms. There’s nothing wrong with his former band mates getting back together. They could write and record new music together, then go on tour to promote that project. But they will never really abandon the mothership called Morrissey, at least that is how it feels for me.
agree.
I just wondr how Morrissey feels about this.
and I wonder too.

Simply beyond weird. As much as I like Alain, I would not give any of these musicians the time of day without Morrissey - he always carried them, they never carried him. And including the five-minute Smith for good measure... it is almost surreal.
Spencer composed 'Lost' - one of the best b-sides. For that alone he deserves respect.

Let's be honest - Alain couldn't steal someone who didn't mind being "stolen" - if that's even the correct way to view it. It must mean that Gustavo was already feeling frustrated, undervalued, etc.
Exactly right. People steal property, they don't steal people. What're we imagining here? Alain slipped in in the middle of the night and snatched Gus without him noticing? He must be a heavy sleeper.

Must admit, I'm a little uncomfortable at Gustavo having left Morrissey's band to join Alain's. I appreciate we don't know the background to it but it feels a bit like a blatant poach.
Alain re-joining the Morrissey set-up was a rare and much needed bit of good news in Camp Morrissey in these pretty horrible recent years. His leaving and taking a long term bandmate (who'd really changed Morrissey's musical dynamic) is a bit of a worst case scenario. Fingers crossed, the new band set-up will be OK.
I think Jesse let them go, so they got together to do their own thing. With that line up…sounds like it’s going to be amazing. Morrissey just might regret it. He needs to get rid of Jesse. If Moz had Alain’s band behind him, his sound would be so much better. 🤷‍♀️

I really miss the “Made In England” Morrissey. I don’t know who he is anymore. And that makes me terribly sad because I love him so much.

It also seems that Alain used his touring time with Morrissey to reconnect with his former pals + steal a band member from Morrissey.
I just wished that Alain and Gus would have finished the tours with Morrissey in 2023 before moving on with their own project / side project. I know it is selfish.
But we don't know why they left in the first place. Maybe they felt they had no choice. Only they and Moz know.

I would disagree with that, Dog is one of My favorite M records in a while and the stand out tracks were written with Tobias.
What stand outs? Seriously
The guitar hasn't composed anything remotely good since ROT, maybe on YOR

Spencer composed 'Lost' - one of the best b-sides. For that alone he deserves respect.
I have nothing against Spencer or any of the lads and I love "Lost" but really, a B-side from decades ago doesn't change anything. After Morrissey, he didn't stay in the music industry. Not one of them is a viable recording artist in their own right, all they have is the Morrissey connection. At this point Gary et al are not even signing up to be 'sidemen' to a star, they're the chief sideman's assistants.

It's like watching someone trying to relive 1991 in an alternate universe where they get to be Morrissey. Even to the extent where they are collecting his old Smiths bandmates to complete the picture. It's bizarre, borderline-delusional wish fulfillment, and I'm surprised that people want to go see that live.

Last edited:
I'm guessing live shows will be 50% songs he wrote with Morrissey and 50% his own solo songs and new stuff they write as a band... does that sound right?
No way, same boring set list as ever. Don't expect any surprises other than maybe a song from new album..Meanwhile the Cure is playing two and half hours with 29 songs on setlist with all their old hits.

I have nothing against Spencer or any of the lads and I love "Lost" but really, a B-side from decades ago doesn't change anything. After Morrissey, he didn't stay in the music industry. Not one of them is a viable recording artist in their own right, all they have is the Morrissey connection.
This ☝🏼

Boz has an independent career via rockabilly projects and producing artists far outside Morrissey's orbit.
But Alain? He is a damn talented guitarist and has composed some epic tunes. As a frontman he doesn't bring anything unique or compelling.

It's like watching someone trying to relive 1991 in an alternate universe where they get to be Morrissey. It's bizarre, borderline-delusion

Yep. It gives me a tribute band vibe. Unsettling and for me best avoided.

Nevertheless I wish em well 🏌️

Last edited:
Who cares about old band members? Give me another “Morrissey acting like a tit on an airplane after 12 drinks” video!

I think Jesse let them go, so they got together to do their own thing. With that line up…sounds like it’s going to be amazing. Morrissey just might regret it. He needs to get rid of Jesse. If Moz had Alain’s band behind him, his sound would be so much better. 🤷‍♀️

I really miss the “Made In England” Morrissey. I don’t know who he is anymore. And that makes me terribly sad because I love him so much.
I feel the same way. I have nothing against women being in the band, but that gang of lads style thing has definitely died now. Maybe it was gone already?

Maybe Moz doesn't even really know why.
Morrissey is notorious for avoiding conflict and letting others deal with it. I wouldn't be surprised if it was similar to the famous Alain being let go of in the car park all those years ago. You can never go home again.

Love Alain.
Love Moz.
Alain without Moz?
Moz without Alain?
Moz without an album deal?
Me without Moz?

Tags
alain whyte
Back
Top Bottom