A question to all the veteran Moz/Smiths fans

During this period, I've seen him live four times, so it was OK - on the 2002 tour, he even played new material, FOGTD sounded better by the way - I really would not mind if he does not record any new record as long as he's still performing on stage

Really, I didn't care. We already had lots of beautiful music from him. I was satisfied-anymore that came along was a bonus.

During the wilderness years before YATQ, I busied myself listening to the back catalogue, never for one second thinking that this was the end. In fact I probably listened more intently to the music during those years.
I also saw him live a few times around then and one gig in particular will go down as my fave gig of all time, October 2002 in the Ambassador in Dublin. Small, sweaty, intimate and full of the best fans imaginable. Still gives me goose bumps!!
For a while he was living in Dublin and I was lucky enough to see him wandering the streets a few times. Never approached him and will never regret that, as he seemed to be assimilated so easily into this city.
Needless to say when YATQ was released it was a joyous day, and it is one of my fave Moz albums for that very reason.

Had a nervous breakdown...but my shrink says I'm grand now....

I kept recalling thelast time I saw Morrissey on t.v performing satan rejected my soul on T.F.I, the years crept by and the thrill of Quarry had me dancing down to me knees

hello erm...... yeah so during the seven year gap thing I wrote him a letter asking what was going on and would he please come back at once..... (I wrote to him via his management company) About three months later I got a reply (from LA) complete with malcom X stamps and a funny Aztec print on the envolope..... Anyway it was printed out from a computer in large print and he had signed it in massive letters at the bottom. (I still have it of course) It was brief and basically just said thanks for the support etc.. but he also said "I have hung up my quill - haven't you noticed?" I took that to mean he had retired....... not long after that he announced a world tour...... But I believe at least for a while he had made the decision to retire...

Poco Innocente said:
During the 7-year period from Morrissey finishing Maladjusted to releasing YATQ...what an earth were you all thinking? I have no idea if it was 'known' that he would release more albums (YATQ etc). Or did you think that was it? The end of Morrissey's music career? Had Morrissey mentioned in that period his musical intentions?

I am curious because if you were left in the dark I'd have gone potty, knowing he was out there but there would be no more new material.

What was it like to be a Morrissey fan during this period?

I was quite content with what we'd already got up until the 7 year wait. I was always far more of a Smiths fan than Morrissey on his own but even with that Moz would still have been my favourite artist. Before the 7 year thing came up I was always waiting for a "Smiths" album from Morrissey which was never going to come. And for that reason...

The seven year thing was probably a great thing for me and Moz. An album every year is a lot to take in and I certainly took him for granted as a musician. YATQ got me back on track and I'm now as excited about a new Moz release as I ever was.

Yep, the 7 year wait gave me a chance to appreciate Morrissey as a solo artist rather than just an ex-Smith.

andy_fozzy said:
Really, I didn't care. We already had lots of beautiful music from him. I was satisfied-anymore that came along was a bonus.

My thoughts exactly. I wasn't really plugged into the scene (internet) so for all I knew he had hung up his hat. But then I was pleasantly surprised when I found out he was signed on with a new label and on track to release a new album. I knew every move when I lived in L.A. but when I moved to S.C. it was hard finding anything new about his goings on. I've only been to one gig (I'm not of the partying type) back in 1991. I do hope he makes it to the States soon. I'd love to see him again.

Mmmmmm said:
I hadn't thought about it but now that you mention it, it was the start of the end of the love affair that began in '84. This is how it played out:

Maladjusted was a bit weak, though the stronger tracks didn't make that too obvious at the time.

The legal battle with Joyce and Rourke had brought to the fore his irascible spirit in a less than charming way (q.v. "Sorrow..."). This would continue.

Disputes with labels sullied the 'art' with 'avarice' (on both sides)

The move to California made him a more public figure but without any product for support. It also changed his disposition - made him almost bipolar. Many interviews were absolutely bitter but he was often sunnier and downright happy.

He was becoming a diva.

All of this would have been fine (after all we xcan't expect him not to change) except for the fact that the music was getting stuck in a rut. Lyriclly it wasn't as sharp and it still ploughed the same ground.

By the time Quarry came out (in drips and drabs) the lustre was gone. It was a solid album. I love it and listen to it a great deal but the reverence of the creative force behind eroded away over those seven years.

And Ringleader! The first Smiths or solo album I did not buy since '84 (barring a couple of those best of's). When something from Hatful or Kill Uncle pops up on the iPod next to a Ringleader track it is painful how unimaginative the work has become.

You're serious, aren't you?

Oh well, I don't think that what you're describing is the case at all.

I believe, truly, in my heart, that Morrissey has simply changed with time, and his music reflects this fact. However, it doesn't make the music any less beautiful, original, and relevant. The fact that he's changed over time, with his life, makes him all the more relevant and important to me.

Viva Mozzer!

Seasick said:
My thoughts exactly. I wasn't really plugged into the scene (internet) so for all I knew he had hung up his hat. But then I was pleasantly surprised when I found out he was signed on with a new label and on track to release a new album. I knew every move when I lived in L.A. but when I moved to S.C. it was hard finding anything new about his goings on. I've only been to one gig (I'm not of the partying type) back in 1991. I do hope he makes it to the States soon. I'd love to see him again.

Cool!
I'm not the partying type either. I'm very happy to celebrate Moz in my own, personal way, which is just to have him in my ears and mind ALLOT.
I have seen him twice now live, and yes it was AMAZING, but I'm happy with that. Once was wicked, twice has been wonderful. If I never see him again, I'll be happy with the times I've had.

People think that because I don't spend ££££££££££ travelling the world to see him I'm not a big fan.
I know I am, so FOOK THEM!!

Sorry, time to shuddup,I'm waffling..... :D

Back
Top Bottom