A Greatest Hits Tour & No Album Deal

The bottom line is that Morrissey will record when he feels like it. Plus I'm sure that Tony Visconti implied in an interview in this month's Record Collector magazine that he will be working with Morrissey again fairly soon.

There is no question that an artist of his calibre and iconistic status wont have difficulty finding a decent record label when he is ready.

Look on the bright side, at least he is (has been) more prolific than My Bloody Valentine, Guns'N'Roses or Kate Bush within the last 15 years. :)

i knew this was one of those, "moz is bowing out" threads before id even finished reading the title...
how predictable the second the US leg starts aLL the doombringers crawl out.
ROTT sold WAY more than 100000 copies, get your facts right and stop worrying.

Do you think I want him to quit? I love his music. He is my favorite artist. Excuse me for daring to bring up the subject. I cannot speak for you, but the 7 year drought sucked. I want to hear he's signed to a multi-album deal with a major label. With the Phoenix concert coming up, I think I just getting wound up, that and I started drinking coffee again...

- Vaux

also where is this supposed to be a greatest hits tour?

the setlists so far have not been a "greatest hits" selection

As evidenced by my previous posts, I am willing to admit when wrong. Not this time...

Along with the link below which pictures Morrissey's new concert merchandise, which reads: GREATEST HITS TOUR 2007, the pre-sale passwords for tickets was GREATESTHITS. Are you really going to debate this?!

http://forums.morrissey-solo.com/showthread.php?t=71950

Vauxhall... I'm glad you were wrong with the sales figure... I know that intelligent sensitive refined people are few in this world, but no that few!!! :D

If I'm not mistaken, belive we've got De Witt to thank for them:

ROTT - 94,419 (to that date)
YATQ - 223,829 copies (22,195 from the Deluxe Edition)
Maladjusted - 88,149
Southpaw Grammar - 66,528
Vauxhall & I - 291,055
Your Arsenal - 363,856

If I'm not mistaken, belive we've got De Witt to thank for them:

ROTT - 94,419 (to that date)
YATQ - 223,829 copies (22,195 from the Deluxe Edition)
Maladjusted - 88,149
Southpaw Grammar - 66,528
Vauxhall & I - 291,055
Your Arsenal - 363,856

But that's in the UK? Or worldwide? Where?

But that's in the UK? Or worldwide? Where?

Don't pull a Vauxhall95 and use that post to go on a rampage about slagging album sales and unsigned icons. I used that specific post plus some info I found on the always reliable internet to make a complete idiot of myself.

It looks like our boy is doing alright. As for the rest of the world, when I look at those sales figures, I'd wager one Beyonce album has out sold Morrissey's entire solo career. So, basically it's hopeless! :)

It is a little strange that the 2007 "greatest hits" T-shirt has a pic of
boxing gloves hanging... as if to say... "I'm done, I'm hanging up my gloves!"
I dunno, just thought that was strange and wanted to put that out there.

I don't think Moz is done.... all I gotta say is... He's here and its now!!

I think it being called the "Greatest Hits" tour is meant to be slightly ironic considering he's never had any hits in America. ;)

It's a joke. It's not a greatest hits tour. If it had been, then surely a) it would've been publicised extensively that it was and b) it probably wouldn't have been exclusive to the US.

not to mention he hasn't exactly been playing all the singles, vauxhall and i, etc. etc.

Afterall, did he not criticize those performers who are now his age and told them to "Get Off the Stage?"

That applies only to performers his age who have become their own parody. Like Robert Smith. Morrissey still is as good as ever!

I think it being called the "Greatest Hits" tour is meant to be slightly ironic considering he's never had any hits in America. ;)

He has had hits in America though. Not at the Madonna level but songs that were played on the radio and that everyone who listens to "alternative" music would know, I think.

maybe...

at least these were singles that were sold at my local boring chain record store.

It is a little strange that the 2007 "greatest hits" T-shirt has a pic of
boxing gloves hanging... as if to say... "I'm done, I'm hanging up my gloves!"
I dunno, just thought that was strange and wanted to put that out there.

I don't think Moz is done.... all I gotta say is... He's here and its now!!

My thoughts exactly. :)

Understood. But given he recorded "Get Off the Stage", is on a Greatest Hits tour, and IS NOT signed you conclude that he will be signed?

He will NEVER sign with some tiny label. He demands to be courted and treated like a super star. If it was about music and his fans then he would have released a digital album during those seven years without a record deal...

eh wasn't he doing the same thing in 2002, it was like his "best of" tour and didn't have a record deal and this wasn't even after a massive success of an album like Quarry .. and look how he went on.

eh wasn't he doing the same thing in 2002, it was like his "best of" tour and didn't have a record deal and this wasn't even after a massive success of an album like Quarry .. and look how he went on.

No, I don't think it is ther same. I believe he had a three album deal with Sanctuary, so there was never any doubt about a new album after YATQ. I could be wrong, Lord knows I've demonstrated my ignorance on several posts in this thread.

On another note, I really think people are over thinking the supposed irony of the Greatest Hits tour. IMO Moz is playing HIS hits. He plays what he wants and has said so himself. If this isn't a Greatest Hits tour then why all The Smiths tunes, Bona Drag, and Your Arsenal material? He could have very easily played ROTT like he did in Europe.

I wonder if it is the Europeans who are seeing the "irony" in the Greatest Hits? Perhaps Fleet Street should have treated him better???:eek:

On another note, I really think people are over thinking the supposed irony of the Greatest Hits tour. IMO Moz is playing HIS hits. He plays what he wants and has said so himself. If this isn't a Greatest Hits tour then why all The Smiths tunes, Bona Drag, and Your Arsenal material? He could have very easily played ROTT like he did in Europe.

I wonder if it is the Europeans who are seeing the "irony" in the Greatest Hits? Perhaps Fleet Street should have treated him better???:eek:

that doesnt make any sense. first of all, if a tour is promoted as GREATEST HITS, that implies that the tour will showcase the artist's biggest hits of their career, not the artist's PERSONAL favs. secondly, he is still playing plenty of ROTT on this tour. i think one setlist i counted 7 tracks (meaning *1/3* of the performance is ROTT), which IMO, is about 6 tracks too many. also, hasnt he always (in recent tours at least) stuck in a few Smiths songs, and bits and pieces from his previous solo albums??

if this was truly a greatest hits tour, he could really only justifiably play AT MOST 3 songs from ROTT (even though in reality, he really hasnt had any "hits" from that album, per se) maybe 5 Smiths songs, and ON AVERAGE, 2 songs from each solo record.

dont take this as me complaining about his recent setlists (well maybe just a tad, cuz im not a big fan of ROTT as im sure youve figured out) but this is my first time seeing Morrissey and he could sing the f***ing alphabet backwards and forwards in 20 different languages for an hour, and I'd still go. thats not my point. my point being that its not definitely not a true GREATEST HITS tour, even if the presale password and the new merchandise says so

if this was truly a greatest hits tour, he could really only justifiably play AT MOST 3 songs from ROTT (even though in reality, he really hasnt had any "hits" from that album, per se) maybe 5 Smiths songs, and ON AVERAGE, 2 songs from each solo record.

Well, he is still trying to sell ROTT and this is the first U.S. tour since its release. So, it is a blend between a Greatest Hits and ROTT promotion. As for as it being promoted as a Greatest Hits tour, who exactly would do that? He is unsigned. Sanctuary is closing their doors. I'm sure they might be willing to promote the tour to the extent Morrissey includes a significant number of ROTT tracks in his setlist, thus promoting ROTT sales.

I just think this whole irony aspect is just over thinking the issue.

Just one person's opinion...

-Vaux

Back
Top Bottom