A Good Lay

G

goinghome

We can all probably agree that Suedehead is just that, a good lay, as according to the free dictionary, one of the meanings of the word ‘lay’ is:

1. A narrative poem, such as one sung by medieval minstrels; a ballad.
2. A song; a tune.

Even if something else is meant by the words.

What I wonder is, of the two characters implied in the lyric, which at the end of the day is really the more wronged in the sense intended by the mini-drama, in which we get only one protoganist's version?

Apologies if this has been established and discussed before.

If you scroll down this, you'll find the links of some earlier discussion of the subject.

Link please? Or you could just tell us, my hard drive is about full up.

Neither are wronged, it's a relationship that's over and one party won't let go. That person is forcing him/herself on the character represented by the singer, invading his privacy. "It was a good lay" is a harsh way of dismissing a relationship, but over means over.

Why did you bring up this particular song today?

I've been playing 'Morrissey: Best of' album a lot in the car recently which is very good and includes Suedehead. It just seems out of kilter with the way Morrissey often describes love, as desperate yearning, if he would fault the etiquette-breaking besotted more than the expediently-acting self-satisfying object of their desire. Does that make sense?! :confused:

The links when up might make things clearer...or not?

p.s. Those links are in fact stories attached at the end of this thread- page.

Thanks Kewpie, I'm having a look at them now.

p.p.s.
Kewpie, interesting, even shteamy at times :eek: but my answer ain't there!

Uncleskinny, what did you mean about Bootleg and Hartlepool?

Does anyone else see what I'm getting at, or am I making a different song of it altogether, over-complicating it?

Thanks!

p.p.s.
Kewpie, interesting, even shteamy at times :eek: but my answer ain't there!

Uncleskinny, what did you mean about Bootleg and Hartlepool?

Does anyone else see what I'm getting at, or am I making a different song of it altogether, over-complicating it?

Thanks!

You have to be patient.
Worm, jamie and others might post here later. ;)

For me, the song seems to balance on the line: "You had to break into my room, just to read my diary..." maybe that's because of my own experience, though. But in a relationship, where trust is essential, a violation like that would blow away all other concerns.

Yes, when I said "links, please" I was asking Uncleskinny to just fill us in.

For me, the song seems to balance on the line: "You had to break into my room, just to read my diary..." maybe that's because of my own experience, though. But in a relationship, where trust is essential, a violation like that would blow away all other concerns.

Having recently experienced this myself, I am 100% with you on that one.

Hah! You could use the expression as a code, or maybe you've invented a word heretofore to refer to such a good lay that the only way to remember it ever after would be as a kind of sweet cosmic symphony.

Anyway Kewpie says, be patient...

"I totally got songed last night."

Sounds strange.

ROTFLMAO! :D

I always thought lay was, well sex but maybe that's just my dirty mind :p Hey, the sex was great but you invaded my privacy and play mind games. So, song off already...

*waits for links*

http://motorcycleaupairboy.com/interviews/1988/diary.htm
I mean, did he really sing, "It was a good lay" at the end of "Suedehead," his first solo single?
"No, 'It was a bootleg'. I mean, good heavens, in my vocabulary? Please..."
Honestly?
"Well, have I ever been dishonest?" he laughs. "Do people think it was 'a good lay'?"
I do.
"And is that quite racy?"
Oh, yes.
"Well, it was actually 'a good lay'."
And was there one?
"No, I just thought it might amuse someone living in Hartlepool."

Back
Top Bottom