“The Boy with the Thorn in His Side” Original Early Unreleased Tape details - yegmusic / Instagram

I have acquired this recently, and some of you have seen this from Omega. I have also started to digitize this (as seen on the link).

I think the story from the person who owned this (which I interviewed after I got this tape) is quite delightful.

From my post:

This came from Steve Clarke, who co-ran Drone Studios (along with Paul Roberts), where The Smiths recorded this single. Steve was also the engineer during the production of this song. This was the first tape that came out of that session, which was used for further mastering to the final product.

The sound is definitely a lot rougher than the released version(s), and has an extra round of instrumentals near the end which was cut in the final mix (making this have a length of 3:23 instead of 3:15).

According to Steve regarding this tape:

“In early summer 1985 I got a call from Paul Roberts who told me that The Smiths were in the studio, they'd been in for about three days an(d) the band weren't getting on too well. I recall Paul saying "Steve, I really need a break from 'Dorothy' (aka- Morrissey), can you come down, I feel like a peace envoy running out of love". He was frustrated and tensions were high as Rough Trade hadn't paid the bill from a session two weeks before. I arrived to find them routining three songs; I cannot recall the other two but the Boy with the Thorn in his Side was the stronger of the three. I routined the band in the afternoon until they were tight enough to commit to tape. Johnny Marr asked me later in the day which song I thought was the strongest. They were seemingly at odds and I was not keen to involve myself. But, he pushed, so I said The Boy is best. At that point Morrissey wasn't entirely convinced but as the tracks were layered he started to come round.”

Also a funny story according to Steve:

“During the session I remember Morrissey asking Paul who, in his opinion was the best band to come out of Manchester? Paul being a big sixties fan said "The Hollies", Morrissey was livid and told Paul he was absolutely wrong and that The Buzzcocks were easily the best. The debate went on for some time!”

This also include two other tracks, which are physically separate tapes (just the same spool). Steve said that this was purely from a financial reason and the studio wasted nothing during its time.

full

Note: Similar content previously mentioned two weeks ago in the Strange/unexpected Moz references thread by Famous when dead.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice - has this previous extended version been in the public domain before? There's been so many bootlegs and leaks over the years it's hard to keep up!

Fantastic, this is what i come on here for, items like this, i wish there were more of it. Proper Morrissey/Smiths history.
Not sure what mix it's called but i always preferred the actual vinyl 7 and 12" single mix of this single, rather than the lp version.
The only good reason to buy the 'Very best of The Smiths' cd from 2001 with the awful Charlie Hawtrey sleeve was that it included this mix on cd.

Nice - has this previous extended version been in the public domain before? There's been so many bootlegs and leaks over the years it's hard to keep up!
I know eh. As far as I am concerned, this is not yet out there. I may most likely post an update playing this over youtube or somewhere (in ways to not ring any alarm bells from the higher ups).

guy likes the word routine and routining.

"Dorothy." 🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣
That's a new one. I seem to remember Hooky or Sumner (or Marr himself) sometimes referring to Moz as Dorrissey. Might have been around the time of Kill Uncle or Getting Away With It. I haven't heard 'Dorothy' before in referral to Moz.

That's a new one. I seem to remember Hooky or Sumner (or Marr himself) sometimes referring to Moz as Dorrissey. Might have been around the time of Kill Uncle or Getting Away With It. I haven't heard 'Dorothy' before in referral to Moz.
There was an interview in NME (possibly Melody Maker) with Johnny Marr around the time of Kill Uncle and he was asked if something along the lines of what he thought of Morrissey's new work or if he heard it and Johnny replied something to the effect of, "I don't listen to Dorissey. I haven't heard Alf Wank"

There was an interview in NME (possibly Melody Maker) with Johnny Marr around the time of Kill Uncle and he was asked if something along the lines of what he thought of Morrissey's new work or if he heard it and Johnny replied something to the effect of, "I don't listen to Dorissey. I haven't heard Alf Wank"
You said this in 2014. Where did the years go?

"I don't have any idea of the source of those but in 1991 when Marr was being interviewed by NME in promotion of Electronic's first album he called Moz... "Dorrissey" and called Our Frank... "Alf Wank"

From me now in 2023:
Best of all though, is Johnny Marr’s healthy relationship with his past. He has refused to let it haunt or hinder him. Nor is he cramped, like some, by an undue reverence for Morrissey. Indeed he (like all the Factory Mafia) now refers to his former soulmate as ‘Dorissey’ and has re-christened the limpid lad’s last 45 (Our Frank) as ‘Alf Wank’. (Danny Kelly, NME, April 1991).

NME 1991

Last edited:
You said this in 2014. Where did the years go?

"I don't have any idea of the source of those but in 1991 when Marr was being interviewed by NME in promotion of Electronic's first album he called Moz... "Dorrissey" and called Our Frank... "Alf Wank"

Johnny never said that, let’s see the source.

danny kellys a bawbag,i used to watch him in the 90s on under the moon,this used to start at midnight and finished about 2,cant even remember if it was good or not,just remember him on the sofa like jabba the hut.

The The during the release of their Hank Williams covers album hosted the US version of mtvs 120 minutes (alt/college rock videos).
There as a Morrissey debut video on that episode, and Matt announced "later in the show", "after this commerical", and "right now" the new video from Dorrissey.
So at least three times in the show he called him Dorrissey, and this was after Johnny left The The.

Tags
master master tape mastertape tbwttihs

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom